CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Other Sellers on Amazon
Mega Fossil Mine - Dig Up 15 Real Fossils with NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
|Price:||$29.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- EXCAVATE REAL FOSSILS - Become a paleontologist and start a rock and fossil collection when you dig up 15 million-year-old fossils!
- REAL DINOSAUR SPECIMEN - Dig out a real dinosaur bone! Other fossils you’ll find include an ammonite, coral, mosasaur tooth, coprolite and more
- WORLD CLASS SCIENCE KIT - Dig out your fossils and then learn about each specimen with our learning guide that’s full of colorful photos and facts
- GREAT HOMESCHOOL ACTIVITY - Let National Geographic, the leader in science education, take your child on an educational STEM adventure
- RESPECTED QUALITY - Providing children with the best educational toys, this kit comes with National Geographic’s 100% satisfaction guarantee
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the manufacturer
Dig up and collect 15 different fossilized specimens.
Explore 15 Different Fossils
- Dinosaur Bone
- Sting Ray
- Crow Shark
- Mosasaur Tooth
- And More!
Read about each of these fossils in the included learning guide!
Uncover Ancient Fossils With National Geographic
A Hands-On Science Adventure
Learn paleontology while digging up genuine fossils with this exciting science kit. Use the included tools to excavate fossils just like a real paleontologist.
Most Comprehensive Fossil Kit
With 15 varieties of fossils, National Geographic's Mega Fossil Mine has no equal in value, content, or quality.
Perfect S.T.E.M. Homeschool Lesson
Use this kit to easily create a fun and exciting homeschool curriculum! With this large dig brick, two children can work side by side and National Geographic's learning guide will teach them all about each fossilized specimen they uncover. This is a lesson in paleontology that you child is sure to remember.
We're confident that you'll love your kit from National Geographic and we back our products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Contact us at email@example.com for support.
Award-Winning Quality and Content
Discover why people are raving about our amazing science kits.
National Geographic's Nonprofit Mission
National Geographic's net proceeds support vital exploration, conservation, research, and education programs around the world.
Premium Fossils to Inspire Any Young Scientist!
With National Geographic, kids learn all about earth science with this hands on digging activity.
The Mega Fossil Mine dig includes archeological tools and a digging site filled with 15 genuine fossil treasures just waiting to be unearthed. Each of these real fossils are millions of years old! Identify each one and learn about their formation with our fascinating and detailed learning guide.
This science kit includes: Large dig brick containing 15 ancient fossils, learning guide, archeological digging tools, and magnifying glass.
Get the Mega Fossil Mine today and join National Geographic as we inspire future generations with a passion for nature and science. National Geographic Toys is proud to provide a 100% satisfaction guarantee with all our products so that you can buy with confidence.
About the National Geographic Society
With a mission to inspire people to care about the planet, the 126-year-old National Geographic Society is one of the world’s largest nonprofit scientific and educational organizations.
National Geographic’s net proceeds support vital exploration, conservation, research, and education programs.
Top customer reviews
- The box itself is a bit smaller than an 8.5 x 11 inch piece of standard size paper. It's about 1.5 inches thick.
- The inside product is a pre-molded, pre-cast square, that measures about 8x8 inches.
- It comes with 3 tiny tools, a magnifying glass, a small brush and a small knife/hack
**These tools are very small, like 2-3 inches in length and about as thick around as a chopstick. So adults, good luck actually using the tools... as you help the kids. SO, I would suggest you toss the little knife they include, and either use a metal or disposal butter knife. Still relatively safe but far more effective than the little toothpick they insert. Just a little humor..
Okay, here is where there is some confusion at the onset: The pre-cast mold is somewhat decorated on the top. It looks like there are shells, and that the mold around the shells needs to be picked off to get to the shells. And that the shells are the fossils. NO! The shells are imprints/stamped decorations and nothing more than that. SO, the fossils are all contained well inside the mold. Generally, the fossils are really hard so don't be shy about cutting away with the knife right away. See pics. To get to the fossils, you need to break this mold into hundreds, or even thousands of pieces. If your mold doesn't end up looking like the picture showing my meal tray, you need to keep breaking away.
1. Our kit contained exactly 15 fossils, as promised on the label.
2. It gets SUPER dusty. I mean crazy dusty. So do this outside if possible. We ended up vacuuming like crazy and it was like a mini duststorm.
3. Using a small mallet or hammer - gently - is not a bad idea. Saves a lot of time.
4. Some of the fossils look like little rocks. Look carefully, as you may accidentally throw away a 90 million year old artifact!
5. The fossils, while awesome, are about an inch to maybe two at most. So not something you'll hang up on the wall.
We had two hours of awesome family fun. This really is fun for both kids and adults to do together and gets the imagination racing. It's also super dusty so I would recommend a place indoors that you can easily sweep up, OR, do it outside. I mean the dust gets EVERYWHERE.
Ideally priced at $20, but still a good product at the 25-28 dollar range, too. Thanks for reading and don't forget to look at the pics..
A 9 year old, a 35 year old, and a 69 year old all had great fun with these kits!