Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Megadeth - Greatest Hits
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 14, 2009
Something is wrong with the production or the rip of the album. The tracks come out sounding flat. The volume is low, but even more than that, the tracks just sound off-something akin to playing a cassette tape with a dirty head. I downloaded another Megadeth track off a different album, and that songs sounds find. So I think it is something with this album.

I have downloaded over 30 albums from Amazon MP3s, and this is the first time that I have had an issue with sound quality. This makes me suspect it was somewhere else in the production of the album before it was converted to MP3.
on December 2, 2006
After years of listening and watching Megadeth on radio and MTV, I finally decided to obtain this "Greatest Hits" collection. Very heavy and melodic with Dave Mustaine's snarling vocals! Long before buying this collection, I was only familiar with songs like "Symphony Of Destruction", "Sweating Bullets", and "Train Of Consequences", songs you'd only hear on the radio. Now, after listening to this collection, I've realized just how truly great the band is! Combine the technically proficient fast guitar playing with Dave's biting lyrics and cynicism and lots of melody and you have some truly MEGinificent music! My favorite track overall is "Peace Sells" followed closely by "Mechanix". Classic thrash metal never sounded so good! I've already ordered Rude Awakening and The System Has Failed. Most of all, I'm already looking forward to the release of their new album, United Abominations. In all honesty, I think these guys are even better than Metallica!
on November 8, 2014
I bought this to supplement my Megadeth collection. What a total let down. The recording quality is utter garbage. It sounds like the sound engineer fell asleep at the control board and let things wash out as they may.

Okay, I could only give this two stars. First of all, the autorip you get from Amazon is missing the track "Mechanix". That would almost be forgivable because I can just rip the disc but, add to that the abysmal sound quality and this was a losing deal all the way around.

I played the autorip on a fairly decent PC set up which includes a high end external dac and the best it sounded was like it was "remastered" in a bath tub. Why can't artists just leave the original recordings alone? I totally get the fact that they want to attract new fans and build the potential to make more money - I am totally onboard with that. What I cannot get behind is them passing off garbage to fans.

A few shining moments were the tracks that did not state they were remastered. They sound half way decent on the PC set up. The other problem with this disc which seems to be running rampant in the music industry is the "I NEED TO BE LOUDER THAN THE NEXT GUY" mentality. They have jacked the gain up so high that the waveform is clipped. I suspected this right away after listening to about ten seconds of the first track so, I confirmed this suspicion in Audacity. The waveform is clearly clipped which will take away some warmth and ambiance.

Now to give this disc a fair shake, I played it on three very different systems and the best results were to be found on my high end equipment. The disc also sounded much better on my vintage set up but, was complete rubbish on a fairly high end PC set up.

I get the impression this was mastered for mp3 players. The only place I have not tried it was in the car and I probably won't either. At this point, I am going to keep my eyes out for the original issues. I will gladly pay more money for them.

My final conclusion is to stay way from this disc completely. Even on a high end system the recording is lacking in any resemblance of warmth or feeling. The recording is very cold and well, digital. It's just a bumch noise that needs to be played at low volumes to not fatigue the ear too quickly. The complete analog feel of the original recordings is not present at all.

A message to the artists and the music industry: Stop insulting the fans. Please re-release original recordings unmolested. We do not want to pay for garbage.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 26, 2014
UPDATE 12.9.14: I can appreciate the varied satisfaction for this product. I ordered a second one and the signature was completely different. That one has a busted jewel case. Sorta the luck of the draw!

I sure didn't need to buy a compilation disc of a band that I have admired since I was in 7th grade. But to have the man himself sign it - yeah, that is freakin' outstanding. If Jr. signed as well it would be 10 of 5 stars, but alas Amazon doesn't go that high.

Megadeth is in the news today - they are now a two-man band. I can't wait to see what is next on their journey. I think the one thing all fans can agree on -- the artwork sure got better after Killing is My Business..... :)
on November 7, 2013
Let me tell you something. I have been a fan of Megadeth for a heck of a long time. One of the first compact discs I ever got was Countdown to Extinction back when it was brand new in 1993. That was back when compact discs used to come with extra cardboard paper packaging artwork. I put my picture of Vic in my Trapper Keeper notebook, as a proud statement that I was a fan of Megadeth, who for most of my life I have thought are one of the coolest bands on earth. I have seen Megadeth live twice. Really, Megadeth is one of my favorite bands of all time, along with Dream Theater. I even loved Killing Is My Business and Business Is Good.

So, by now you must be wondering, where did Megadeth go wrong on "Back to the Start?" That answer is entirely in the mix. I loved all the original mixes, and I detect that in this remake they tried to make the album sound better through doing a tad of things such as adding the effect, compression. I hate compression, probably, because it seems as if everyone uses it these days. Sure, the kids probably won't know the difference, and maybe even will like it better, but Dave you've got to admit that you sold your soul to the devil on this one.

Of course, some of the tracks that were originally released with compression like Skin O' My Teeth rock hard. It is just that I don't like the touch ups on what I considered to be the old classic Megadeth albums. They didn't need touch ups.

Additionally, while I don't like this record mixed in with other discs, as I crave the original sound not the remix, as a whole the album mixes better with the touch ups. For example, Hanger 18 sounds hideous in this collection. Megadeth has been around for so long that technologies have changed, some for good, some for bad. What this means is that when listening to a bunch of music the technology on each album usually varies, and this hits package seems to try to overcome that, and it does so with a moderate amount of success.
on August 4, 2005
Many Megadeth fans would agree that this is their best compilation. These songs were chosen by popularity votes on Megadeth's website. In translation, th fans chose the songs, while produced by the mastermind Dave Mustaine himself. I would recommend this album for any Megadeth fan, for it spans the ferocious career of Megadeth with all of the different lineups and their greatest most effective tracks.
on December 5, 2014
perfect condition, I couldn't be more pleased. =)
review image
on October 30, 2008
This album is a good overview of Megadeth's work. I would recommend this album to anyone new to Megadeth, or who doesn't already have their other albums.
on July 25, 2015
Personally, this is my favorite Megadeth compilation album. The album is comprised of notable classic tracks from Peace Sells to Angry Again single during the early 2000s. The album consists of songs that were never before released on other albums such as Kill the King, Angry Again, and Prince of Darkness. The great collection for any Megadeth fan or simply metal fan to enjoy a full list classic thrash metal favorites.
on May 28, 2016
Megadeth - I gave up on Megadeth many years ago and gave away all my Megadeth CDs. Then I saw Dave's photo with BABYMETAL and started watching some new Megadeth videos on Youtube. Now I find myself buying the new Megadeth CDs and also buying the old ones I gave away.