Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

Megalithic Symphony
Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 11, 2011
Like most of the other reviewers of the album, I first Awolnation with the song 'Sail' and almost instantly fell in love. I didn't preview any of the other songs based on my love for the song 'Sail' before purchasing the album, and I was pleasantly surprised in the several directions that the songs take.

1. Megalithic Symphony - 3/5 - A simple intro song. Interesting sounding, a good start to the album.
2. Some Sort of Creature - 1/5 - I don't really know why this song is on the album. It kind of ruins the flow set up by the first song.
3. Soul Wars - 5/5 - The first real song on the album and it kicks it off with a bang. This song is up tempo and extremely fun. It combines a quick fun verse, and then a hard hitting chorus that combines screaming and singing. Great song.
4. People - 4/5 - I've never been a fan of songs that start off with talking, and this song takes a penalty for this. But as soon as it gets to the actual song, this song is more of an uplifting close-to-epic track.
5. Jump on My Shoulders - 4/5 - This song is similar to People, but much more simple. It's basically a fun tune, and nothing more.
6. Burn it Down - 5/5 - The sheer anarchy of this song is what makes it so perfect. Starting off with a crazy drum fill and then a quick beat and lots of screaming makes this song not only fun to listen to, but also gives the feeling of being on a thrill ride. One of the best songs on the album.
7. Guilty Filthy Soul - 5/5 - I love this song! It sort of sounds like a modern rock version of a Jackson 5 song.
8. Kill Your Heroes - 5/5 - Not as dark as it sounds, and actually turns out to be a bit up-lifting with lyrics "No need to worry, because everybody will die," in one of the best choruses of the album. Great song.
9. My Nightmare's Dream - ?/5 - Interlude. Can't really rate this song.
10. Sail - 6/5 - I have to give this song a little of a bonus point, since not only is it putting this band on the radar of the music scene, but is doing so for great reason. This song is pure dark-electronic heaven.
11. Wake Up - 3/5 - The opening is a bit odd, with an female vocalist that sets up the song to be somewhat of an anthem, and then becomes a song similar to Soul Wars, but not as good. Not a bad song, but the band is clearly capable of more.
12. Not Your Fault - 5/5 - Another favorite on the album, great verse, great chorus, a simply great upbeat song.
13. All I Need - 5/5 - The only true slow song on the album, and it shows that Awolnation has the ability to do a slow tempo song just as well as a quick one. The only downside is that makes me wish for more ballads on the album.
14. Knights of Shame - 2/5 - This song is five minute long song, drawn out over fifteen minutes. It's not all bad, but after a few minutes it causes the loss of interest. Especially with the unnecessary two minutes of silence at the end of the song.
15. Shoestrings - 4/5 - A fun song. Not the best closer for the album, but it ends the album on a light note at least.

The ratings obviously don't add up to the 5/5 that I gave the entire album, but as a whole, the entire album works perfectly. Some songs are better than others, but it flows perfectly and is one of the best Electronic/Indie-Rock albums ever (Not that it has much competition...)
66 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 31, 2012
This band is rising fast!... Every few years a band comes along that changes the alternative music scene, and becomes an inspiration for many new bands to come... I think AWOLnation may be one of those bands...

AWOLnation has a truly original sound and unique voice in Aaron Bruno (signer / lead songwriter) His vocal skills are eminent and range a variety of genres... he can sing catchy melodies, break out into staccato vocal beats, rise to epic emotional rock screams, drop back into a rap line, and then into a multi piece gospel harmony with backup vocals and instruments... and often, all these vocal styles in a single song. The result is a great variety and range of pace and emotion.

The rest of the band is very good as well.. including Blind Melon guitarist Chris Thorn... and even though the music is heavily Pro-Tools produced, AWOLnation manages to pull off really great live performances.. (check out YouTube for various live tracks) .... the true test of their musicianship.

In addition to nailing the cross pollination of several genres, writing catchy melodies, and having great production values, I will also say that this band does a great job of writing songs that "breathe" well... they deftly allow space in between beats and melodies to give the downbeats and changes a great effect. Translation: They get your head bobbing!

The entire album is very good... I've listened through it several dozen times now. It's well worth the purchase.

-> "SAIL" (5/5 stars)
Their first single / radio hit... a dark sounding song combining ripping electronic synth bass, staccato string chops, catchy guitar arpeggios, and a combination of great vocal melodies and heavy angst filled vocals. This was the song that convinced me to buy the album in the first place... probably like most.

-> "GUILTY FILTHY SOUL" (5/5 stars)
I loved this song as soon as I heard it... opening with a catchy guitar riff that breaks down into a killer beat. Great vocals and vocal variation. Great melodies, interesting lyrics, catchy electronic synth piano, and production effects. I'd say this is the best track on the album. iTunes says I've listened to it 37 times.

-> "NOT YOUR FAULT" (5/5 stars)
Their latest single / radio hit... Features a great combo of synth keyboard and bass parts, with a variety of genres. Great vocal performance with heavy angst filled chorus and catchy melodic verses. Its a fun, dancey song. Great recording/production.

These songs caught my interest and replay buttons after the second or third listen through.

-> "KNIGHTS OF SHAME" (5/5 stars)
It's not often that a 10+ minute song is even attempted by bands these days... indeed, anything longer than 5 minutes is rare... it goes against commercial recommendations of the labels, and basically guarantees no radio play... which is too bad, but thats for another discussion. Knights of Shame is an epic song that goes through many great sections. This song showcases the huge variety of sound that AWOLnation is able to produce. Electronica, Pop, Cartoon Indie, Drum and Bass, Rap, Funk, Gorillaz-esque Hip-Hop, Rock, Space Synth... this song has a little bit of everything... and its doesn't feel gimmicky... its solid all the way through 12 min.

-> "JUMP ON MY SHOULDERS" (4/5 stars)
More great combination of shakin' beats with electronica synth and a variety of vocals.

-> "WAKE UP" (4/5 stars)
A combination of heavy beats that will shake your body and melodic Jamiroquai-esque breakdowns.

The rest of the tracks are very good as well (3/5) to (4/5) tracks. My recommendation: get this album. I appreciate it as a fan of a many genres of music, and as a musician myself.

AWOLnation is currently touring. I'm hoping their sophomore album will be as inspired as this one is, and not be too far off in the future.
11 comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 25, 2011
I wanted to check out AWOLNATION after hearing the single "Sail". Right away I was disappointed as nothing else on this album sounded nearly the same and for the most part just sounded like some very basic, cookie-cutter pop music. Too many of the songs were upbeat and felt like they should be the score for some Adam Sandler love story. I can't really say much about the actual music... I suppose it sounded all right, but for the most part just not my thing. The only track that I liked was the one that got me interested in the CD, so if you're like me and wanting to get it because you liked "Sail" save your time and money.
33 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This artist or person depending on how you look at it combines mutiple styles of music within one CD not many artist do that now a days. I will give my honest viewpoint of what I think of this album, track by track.
Track One: Good musical intro with the artist name thrown into the music
Track Two: A filler and not a very good one at that makes you go really why is it here
Track Three: Soul Wars, A song that has a good beat and makes you feel like getting up and dance to the beat
Track Four: People, A song that makes you feel like you want to get up and sing the lyrics as he sings them and something you might hear within a church with the chorus
Track Five: Jump on my Shoulders, Another good song on this CD makes you think of Robin Hood because of the chorus take from the rich give to the poor, plus has a very nice beat in the song also to make you feel good
Track Six: Burn it Down is the title of this song and we all feel angery enough to want something to burn down from time to time
Track Seven: Gulity Filthy Soul makes you realize when your feeling down and see the trueself that is you
Track Eight: Kill your Heroes a Pop-Rockish song that the lyrics make you go did he really just say those words
Track Nine: Another filler that makes who wonder why it's on the CD
Track Ten: Sail, The main reason most people buy this CD because it's an amazing song and intresting lyrics all the way threw to the end of the song
Track Eleven: Wake Up, Another feel good song that makes you want to dance to or groove to on the dance floor
Track Tweleve: Not your Fault, Pop Rock feel to it and makes you see how he feels about the person he is talking about on the song
Track Thirteen: All I need, Softer side of the singer based on the lyrics makes you feel good and makes you want to smile also something you might hear in a church
Track Fourteen: Knights of Shame, Intresting lyrics from both male singers and a female singer plus the music styles within the one song sounds almost rap, rock, and pop within one song, but I do believe the song should have eneded at the 11 minutes and 40 second mark instead of going onto almost 15 minutes
But overall a four star CD I take one star off for track two and nine because they are fillers, But rest of the CD is quite amazing great lyrics and amazing mixture of styles of music all within the one CD look forward to more music by the artist.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 15, 2014
It's so rare for a CD to get under my skin the way this one has, but I can't get enough of it. Of course I loved the song 'Sail' and since it has such a unique contrast with sweet, almost mysterious music with angsty, sort of haunting lyrics. There's such an interesting mood there I'm not surprised the song did so well and if it hadn't charted, this gem of a CD might have slipped under my radar. I'm so glad it didn't. When I got it, I knew that wouldn't be their only sound, but I was immediately impressed by how many different styles one band can fit onto a CD.

The first two songs that really blew my mind were 'Soul Wars' and 'Burn it Down' since I didn't expect them to rock out quite so hard. My first impression was that I loved every other song, so it took a few listens to appreciate the CD as a whole. My only qualm is that at times it's a little hard to understand the lyrics, so after looking them up, it just took my love to a whole new level. There's some real depth there, not only sadness and frustration (which I get from 'Sail') but pure joy. I can't not feel good listening to 'People' or 'Jump on my Shoulders.' Maybe there's a little pop influence, but there's enough rock in there that it feels like I've been waiting for this band to drop into my life. 'Kill your Heroes' and 'Not your Fault' were automatic winners. It took awhile for 'Guilty Filthy Soul' and 'Wake Up' to grow on me but they're pretty groovy too. 'All I need' is lovely. Don't get me started on 'Knights of Shame,' which was another early favorite that blew my mind right away. It's epic and awesome and I've never heard anything quite like it. The newer songs 'MF' and 'This Kid's Not Alright' freak me out. I'm addicted and I only wish I found this little gem of a CD earlier. It might not be for everyone, especially those who want 'Sail' to be their only sound. I can't be happier that it's not.

It's simply amazing.
on May 24, 2011
To start it off, this album is simply amazing!

About 4 years ago I discovered a band called "Under the Influence of Giants" who is such a great band...I was sad to hear they made one great album and split up...Now to back to the present, I rectently discovered Awolnation through Amazon (like all of my music) and very quickly became attached to the album. I thought there was something very familiar about the sound of the vocals/sound...I looked it up, and sure enough Its Aaron Bruno from Under the Influence of Giants. I was very impressed when I found out its his solo project!

I cant stress enough how inspiring all of the tracks are on this album (besides track 2 which doesnt make any sense). Aaron Bruno is very talented! Such original sound, with upbeat sound and very broad vocals. I highly recommend this album to anyone who is a fan of Under the Influence of Giants, or anyone who is looking to add another superb album to their collection.
22 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 15, 2013
Megalithic Symphony - 4/5
A simple and off-ball song, fitting intro.

Some Sort of Creature - 3/5
No matter what you say, this album would be lacking without this song, even if it doesn't completely make sense.

Soul Wars - 5/5
Very catchy and addictive to listen to. Amazing.

People - 4/5
Same with this song as the previous, except a little bit less catchy, as the repetitive vocals towards the end are a tiny bit annoying.

Jump on my Shoulders - 5/5
Very catchy with a great upbeat tempo. Fantastic chorus.

Burn it Down - 4/5
Great tempo, great song.

Guilty Filthy Soul - 4/5
I love the message given by this song, with one of my favorite things of this song being the chorus.

Kill Your Heroes - 5/5
It was without surprise that this song would become one of their more popular ones. The upbeat tune with the meaning of the lyrics gives a good feeling.

My Nightmare's Dream - 3/5
Kind of an eerie feeling to it when considering the title and really thinking about it and the "All I Need" choir-y lyrics in it.

Sail - 5/5
My hero, or better said, reason I discovered the song. Amazing bass in this song, and addictive piano tunes. Lyrics really speak to me.

Wake Up - 5/5
This is probably my favorite song on the album overall. Minus the intro, the entire song as a great rhythm and extremely catchy lyrics.

Not Your Fault - 5/5
Another one of those popular songs that really have a great rhythm and catchy lyrics that really speak to you.

All I Need - 5/5
A wonderful change up to the upbeat tempo songs with its slowed down tempo. Lyrics really give a warm feeling.

Knights of Shame - 4/5
This song probably is one of the biggest oddballs. While I don't like the rapping in the middle all that much (about 3:53 to 6:00), I do however enjoy the rest of the song, which makes up for it, as well as the end of the song (AFTER the 2 minutes of silence).

Overall - 10/5
This is one of my favorite albums of all time to listen to and the idea of AWOL making a new album in the future is an exciting thought.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 22, 2014
there are probably three to four songs on this album that are worth listening to, once. The rest is mind clutter for morons who want to be hipsters, that wear black sweaters, read beat poetry, smoke clove cigarettes and need an ass beating.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 15, 2015
Oh my god, It has been a while since I have actually been able to listen to a "mainstream" band and be able to listen to the album beginning to end without having the urge to cut my ears off with paper guillotines (or you know, just turn it off). This review pertains to the vinyl version of this album, The vinyl is nice and thick, And arguably the best sounding pressing i have ever heard. I dont know where this was pressed, But it blows Quality Record Pressings and Mobile Sound Fidelity Labs right out of the water. It just sounds crisp, Like the music is being played right there for you. The music itself is just fantastic, These guys and imagine dragons are diamonds amongst the dung, and these are fine fine diamonds. I am not going to review track by track, For I recommend you listen to this in one sitting, It is not a collection of songs, it is a album, and should be judged as just that. If anyone is thinking of starting their own vinyl collection, I recommend starting here, Even on cheap equipment (just for the love of god, dont use crosley, i good rule of thumb is if you can hear the vinyl playing, with no speakers attached, and the lid closed, and you are on the other side of the room, you should not be able to hear it clearly) Ion is usually an untrustworthy brand, but their profile pro turntable is only $40-$70 and has a diamond needle. (can be found here http://smile.amazon.com/ION-Profile-LP-Vinyl-to-MP3-Turntable/dp/B0029QRA1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421326148&sr=8-1&keywords=ion+profile+pro) and you can also transfer vinyl to mp3, But i paid $100 for my vinyl setup (just do your research kids). It sounds great. I cant wait to see what awolnation does next.
on January 24, 2013
I'm not a big fan of today's "indie" style music. A lot of it simply isn't aggressive or punchy enough for me to enjoy, so I often end up dablling in genres like metal and punk to get the agressive, catchy music that I desire. Well, if you're a pop fan, rock fan or general music snob like myself, it will be hard for you to resist this album.

The album seems to have something for everyone. The band is extremely musically diverse and the music simply lacks the pretense that so many bands have these days. These guys are very stylized much like many hipster bands, but they go straight to the point. These guys rock out, and they don't shun catchy hooks. They embrace them. These guys aren't above knocking you on the floor with a killer chorus, and this album is full of them. Orginal and odd enough for a hipster, and rocking and catchy enough for someone who just wants to enjoy good, fun music. The music is fun and accessible like a good pop band but deep in many ways, including odd lyrics, strange musical accents in odd places, and a lot of attention to details in production. Regarding production, the album sounds AWESOME in my car or in the house, but it's not so produced that it lacks passion.

You'll really just have to hear it for yourself to see what I'm saying. If you've heard a couple of their songs and like what you hear, then there's no reason you shoud hesitate buying the album. The whole band rocks, the singer is amazing, and best of all, these guys have something SO many bands lack these days - A sense of humor. Again, you'll have to hear it to see what I'm saying. My favorite tracks are "Wake Up", "Burn it Down" and "Not Your Fault". But trust me there is hardly a weak tune on the album. This band is truly an anomaly in the world of popular music. My grilfriend likes them, my Mom does, and my dog does too. Buy it.