Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 173 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 230 reviews
on May 31, 2013
Yeah, the digital copy of Meggs' History of Graphic Design might save you a few bucks. But honestly if you can get a hold of the book, do it. There was a conscious decision made to remove the images from the text; they are linked within it and you can scroll through them separately, you cannot immediately see any of the images as they are being written about and navigating back and forth is a pain. Overall it was poorly organized and every student in my class who bought this edition agreed that taking the images out of the text was confusing and impeded both speed of reading and memorizing the images.
VINE VOICEon May 3, 2010
This book is a must have if you are taking any graphic design courses. If you are already a graphic designer this book is also a must have. My class is long over and I wont sell this book, that says something considering I am a starving student, well maybe not starving.

I bought this for a class and I ended up reading it just because the information presented is both interesting and also very digestible to the average reader. It is a very interesting book that you can keep long after the class is over. One thing is it makes a fantastic coffee table book. It would not be out of place in the lobby of your design firm.

Content (+)
The content of this book covers from our earliest designs all the way to modern design and the impact it has on our lives. The content of this book does not shy away from the controversial to the mundane.

Images (+)
I made the video clip so you could see the great artwork in this book. Many full color images are wonderful references that can be used when you are designing. "Good artists copy, great artists steal", Pablo Picasso

Text (+)
As I was saying this is not just boring text droning on and on. It, in fact is very interesting to those that are into graphic design or art. Any art is graphic design, and all graphic design is art. You really get that feeling after reading this book.

Overall this book is a great value at what I paid for it which is twice what it cost now. Get this BRAND NEW and you will have this book for many years.
on July 12, 2016
I needed this for a class, so I didn't have a choice to buy this or not. This was not for leisure reading.
However, I will definitely not be selling this to another student! I like the way everything is written; it's very down to earth and easy to understand. If you're looking for a specific person or time period, it's very easy to locate that. This is the first history book I've found that made sense when divided into chapters; everything else I've read (for school or leisure) was disorganized and confusing. I'll be keeping this for future reference.
There are a lot of pictures of the artifacts they are talking about, and lots of good information.
The book came in excellent condition with no bends, rips, or fraying. The cover is actually a dust jacket, the actual book is white.
on June 9, 2017
There are errors in the pictures associated with the captions, and I know this because I studied the hardcover version before I returned it after buying the Kindle version. Also, it is hard to maneuver around the Kindle version, when there are so many pictures associated with captions that don't always show up on the page concurrently. Probably not a good idea to study this type of material on a Kindle version, unless it was better formatted. Now I have to buy the book too just to be sure that I am studying the correct material.
on July 7, 2015
Amazing book! Coming from VCUarts, I can honestly say this book is considered the bible there.. and for good reason. Philip Meggs received a masters at VCUarts and went on to teach there. This book does such a great job of outlining everything you need to know not only as a design student, but also as a professional in the design world. You will use it long after your school days are over.. guaranteed.
on August 12, 2015
Wow, fascinating information! Within the first chapter I was hooked and didn't want to stop reading more about the history of pictographic communications. There is a ton of useful information for designers to reflect on to enhance their understanding of the field. Moreover, the author does a great job at writing the material and presenting new information in an interesting way. For a history book it was not a bore in the slightest.
on March 20, 2001
In my opinion, this 3rd Edition "A History of GD" is the best reference book written about graphic design. This 500 plus pages book/bible is simply divided into 5 sections, 1) The Prologue to Graphic Design, 2) A Graphic Rennaissance, 3) The Industrial Revolution, 4)The Modernist Era, and 5) The Age of Information. The topics range from the invention of writing to, creation of new typogrphic styles to, the digital revolution and computer art. There are plenty of graphics and photos on every page to accompany the wonderfully written text. If you study art history or graphic design, I think this would be a great reference book to have. It will take some time to read the entire book. But this is like a text book, so, reading only part of the chapters would be quite informative as well. Once you are done, you will definitely appreciate graphic design/graphic designers.
on January 5, 2016
This is a fascinating book to own. I needed it for a graphic design history class and ended up loving the content in this book. Once the class was over, I found myself not wanting to sell the book as its one of those you just want to always have around. It has such beautiful photographs of work in the book as well and I find my four year old son looking at all the art, designs and history of the works. truly amazing material.
on September 25, 2013
It's an art history. Not very exciting but alright. Has a lot of good info for art enthusiasts and students. The physical book is really big and heavy so its a pain to carry around unless you keep it in your car so the kindle edition was a lifesaver! Being able to highlight and add in notes was really handy. Finding the section you need can be a bit of a pain as you cant just flip through it but you get use to it.
on September 23, 2013
I haven’t read this entire tome yet, as I’ve only made time to study some of the chapters for class. But it is a fascinating read, discovering key figures and art movements in the graphic design history, especially when you see how they evolved over time. For example, you might read about how Jan Tschichold changed his mind about the rules he presents in his "New Typography" book after being imprisoned by the Nazi Gestapo for six weeks before escaping to Switzerland. He goes back to championing classic typography and also matching style to content instead of strictly applying his New Typography to everything. “Meggs' History” is full of that kind of information. They try to maintain an objective tone in the writing.
There are also loads of images with informative captions, which alone are going to help you loads over simply approaching the history of graphic design knowing very little, such as I did.
A used 4th edition would still serve the purpose, if you're on a tight budget.