Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $5.00 shipping
+ $3.50 shipping
+ $5.44 shipping
Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound - 15.2 oz.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- The ultimate product for removing oxidation, scratches, water spots, and blemishes without scratching
- Cuts as fast as harsh abrasives restoring surface clarity without scratching or swirling
- Formula dramatically reduces the time and effort to restore abused or neglected paint finishes
- Exclusive micro-abrasive technology leaves a "like new" finish and adds gloss in one easy step
- Safe and effective on clear coat and single stage paint and can be applied by Hand or Dual Action Polisher
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
For further application or technical questions about this or any Meguiar’s products, please contact our customer service team at 800-347-5700.
Safely restore the color and clarity to abused and neglected finishes with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Meguiar's revolutionary formula and exclusive micro-abrasive technology cuts as fast as harsh, gritty abrasive compounds, but without scratching a vehicle’s paint or clear coat finish. Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound reduces the time and effort needed to remove defects and improve paint’s appearance, when compared to traditional rubbing and polishing compounds. Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound quickly removes oxidation, light scratches, water spots, light bird dropping etching, and stains.
Evaluating the Paint Surface
Before applying Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to a vehicle, it is recommended to begin by washing and drying a car thoroughly, as it will allow evaluating the surface of a vehicle for the presence of various defects needing correction. Defects fall into two basic categories, above surface contaminants and below surface defects. Above surface bonded contaminants include industrial fall out, paint overspray, tree sap mist, and bird droppings. Below surface defects include fine scratches, swirl marks, etching, and oxidation.
Above surface bonded contaminants often cannot be seen but they can be felt. Running a clean hand over the paint of a vehicle immediately after washing and drying it. If a paint surface is rough to the touch, this is an indication that the car will need to be clayed using Meguiar’s Smooth Surface Clay Kit first (sold separately).
Below surface defects generally cannot be felt, but they can be seen, especially in strong, direct light. Good lighting is critical to evaluating the surface of the paint, because most cars will look good in the shade; therefore it's recommended to inspect the car's finish in direct sunlight or under strong fluorescent lights. Cobweb or spider web swirls come primarily from the washing and drying process when poor technique or tools are used; for example, the use of old towels, dishwashing detergents, coarse sponges, and so on. Holograms however, are a specific type of defect caused by the improper use of a high speed rotary buffer. These types of defects not only mar the finish but reduce the paint’s ability to reflect light clearly and cleanly, making the paint appear dull, faded and washed out. Removing below surface defects like light scratches, swirls, oxidation and bird dropping etching restores the clarity and reflectivity of the paint, making colors more vibrant and reflections more brilliant.
Compounding or “paint cleaning”, should not to be confused with washing because it is the process of removing below surface defects. This can be accomplished with “liquid paint cleaners” that contain chemicals and/or abrasives to help deep clean and level the paint of the vehicle. With Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, correct the most common type of below surface defects, like swirls and holograms.
A Few Tips About Applying Ultimate CompoundLiquid paint cleaners should be applied to small areas at a time, when working either by hand or with a dual action polisher such as the Meguiar's DA Power System or Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher. Working small areas at a allows concentration on the work and to remove Ultimate Compound before it dries.
Keep the following points in mind when working with any “paint cleaner” like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound; paint cleaners do not need to dry before removing and in fact should be wiped off immediately after you’ve worked them over the finish. If they dry, the can be difficult to remove. For Ultimate Compound, simply go over the same area again with more Ultimate Compound to re-wet the surface and then remove it while it’s still wet. Paint cleaners need to be worked into the finish; they are not wipe on, wipe off products. Use a moderate amount of pad pressure to achieve optimum performance. Deep defects (scratches) that go through the clear coat cannot be corrected without repainting or applying touch up paint. The harder the paint and the deeper the defect, the smaller the area to work at one time. Paint cleaners remove everything off the surface of the paint including wax, so after using paint cleaner, Meguiar’s strongly recommends re-applying a protective coating of wax.
Applying Ultimate Compound
- 1. Dispense a small amount of Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound directly onto a foam applicator pad or a small, clean 100% cotton terry towel.
- 2. Work a small section at a time using a tight, circular pattern and making 4-6 overlapping passes. When the Ultimate Compound starts to turn clear, make one final pass to polish the surface.
- 3. Before moving on to the next section, use Meguiar’s Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel to wipe away any product residue before it dries. Additional application of Ultimate Compound may be required to remove deep and/or stubborn defects.
- 4. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as needed to complete the rest of the vehicle.
- 5. Follow up with the selected Meguiar’s polish and wax, like Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax.
By Dual Action Polisher or Dual Action Power System:
- 1. Attach the appropriate compounding pad to Meguiar’s Dual Action Power System (G3507) or Meguiar’s Dual Action Polisher (W8207).
- 2. Apply a strip of Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound directly onto the pad.
- 3. Place the face of the pad flat on the paint. Turn on the Meguiar’s DA Power System drill or Meguiar’s Dual Action Polisher and begin buffing using light to moderate pressure in an overlapping pattern while keeping the pad flat against the paint at all times.
- 4. Work a small section (2’ x 2’) at a time, until the Ultimate Compound starts to turn clear. Apply additional Ultimate Compound as needed until defects have been removed.
- 5. Before moving on to the next section, use Meguiar’s Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel to wipe away any product residue before it dries.
- 6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as needed to complete the rest of the vehicle.
- 7. Follow up with the selected Meguiar’s polish and wax, like Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax. These products are also available as part of Meguiar’s DA Power System Polishing Power Pack and Waxing Power Pack.
Top customer reviews
I had a few scratches on my car because I accidentally bumped into a shopping cart while parking at walmart (how unfortunate). I was really bothered because I don't want my car to have any scratches so I checked online and found this product which had very good reviews and a reasonable price.
It really did what I've expected for it to do! You just have to be really, really, REALLY patient while trying to remove the scratches as it probably took me about 40 or more times before I was able to achieve the results that I wanted (by the way, I'm a girl who don't do exercise so guys might take fewer times to remove scratches than me)..
So yes, you need to apply the product over and over again and rub it (on a circular motion--with a cotton cloth or something) many many many times! And tadah! The scratches will be gone forever!!! :)
Attached are the before and after photos just to show you that it really worked for my car! :)
Fast forward to after doing the ultimate compound and the scratches became only visible upon close inspection. I could not believe me eyes! No, they were not completely gone but you had to go right up on the door to even see anything. Finishing with the carnauba wax made it even less visible. Even when the sun is hitting it just right you can BARELY see any scratches. Great product and I highly recommend. And it's cheap too!
I was searching for something to fix it in amazon and found this. I got this along with applicator pad (https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-W0004-Foam-Applicator-pack/dp/B002J8379C/ref=pd_sim_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y46JWWRB9V1NJ9QEWNRW) and supreme shine microfiber cloth (https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Supreme-Shine-Microfiber-Cloths/dp/B0009IQZH0/ref=pd_sim_263_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y46JWWRB9V1NJ9QEWNRW).
These are the steps I followed
1) Wash the affected area with sponge and soap water.
2) Wipe it clean with a paper towel.
3) Added small amount of the compound to the applicator and went in circles in the affected area. Repeated the process till the area is fully closed with the compound.
4) Wipe the area with the microfiber cloth.
The whole process took 45 mins by hand but at the end of it,my van is like new. No evidence of any scratch. I cant tell in words,the relief I felt after the job was done.
Its worth every penny.
The only thing I regret is not taking a before/after picture. I was so anxious to fix it that I forgot about it.
Most recent customer reviews
1-3M Trizact 3000 Grit and soapy water till scratch was not seen when dry - left dull finish
2-3M Trizact 5000 Grit and...Read more