Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 200 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 242 reviews
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 4, 2014
As a disclaimer, let me just say I also have the Melissa & Doug Magnetic Fishing Game. That's a great game. The "fishing rod" magnet works fine with that one. The Bug Catching Game "Net" magnet is a lot weaker and my toddler gets frustrated trying to catch the bugs only to have it fall off or slide off the magnet. We've just been using the fishing rod from the other game to catch the bugs, but she particularly likes the net on the magnet so she tries and tries and gets frustrated. I can't even replace the magnet because it's encased within a red plastic case to prevent toddlers from swallowing the magnet.

The colors are great and vibrant but when the basic premise of the game (magnet) is poor, I can't really give it the rave reviews I would have like the fishing game. I expected more from Melissa & Doug's quality control.

***UPDATED REVIEW***
I responded to the Melissa & Doug rep in my comments and she sent me a replacement fishing rod. This one works perfectly. Since the defective fishing rod magnet was my only issue, I am now changing this from 3 stars to 5 stars. Plus, if there's ever any hesitation about calling their customer service line, DO IT. They're really nice and try to help resolve the issue.

Great company. Great product. Good job Melissa & Doug.
on June 27, 2013
We bought this puzzle for my son for his first birthday, not sure how well he'd do with the concept but after one day, he was catching bugs. He even knows the spider now that we've started catching the spider then singing the itsy bitsy spider and the bumble bee that goes bzzzzzz. It says it's for kids 3+, but I can see how this could get boring for a child that old. We are working on learning the different bugs and colors and sounds some make, plus what each bug does. He's a little young for those concepts, but will get them soon enough with reinforcement. I like that he can grow in to it. I also like that the magnet is completely encased in plastic so it can't fall out for my guy to swallow. The metal pieces also seem secure, so I don't feel nervous about the safety of the toy for my one year old.
As for the swinging magnet, I don't know what parents think their toddlers are going to do with a toy like that, of course they're going to swing it around, but they aren't going to poke their eye out! They'll hit themselves once or twice, cry about it, then learn not to do it anymore. If that thought makes you nervous, don't get the toy.
on November 29, 2016
My 18 month old daughter loves this puzzle. She's not quite there yet with the net, but we've found that you can pull the string all the way back through the net... so that the magnet piece is "attached" to the net and not dangling (we then put a loose knot in the string). This gives her much more control of the magnet right now. She uses the net to catch bugs and seems to find this more interesting than the average puzzle. I love that when she starts to get bored of it we can loosen the string a little to make it more challenging.
on March 13, 2017
My 2 y.o. daughter loves this puzzle game, every day at least for 15 mins she "catches" insects and naming them )) I guess she will be bored of it pretty soon but so far it's one of her favorite Bday gifts :)
on September 27, 2009
My 14 month old granddaughter loves this puzzle. We tied the string shorter to about three inches long so she has better control of it. She's very happy catching all the cute bugs and enjoys putting them back so she can catch them again. The magnets are just strong enough for her to pull apart herself (not frustrating for toddler strength) which also is fun to do. Supervision is a must if baby likes to put things in the mouth but the toy is constructed well for even the younger motivated babies to work with mommy's help. Melissa & Doug is known for good construction and toys with great incentive and this puzzle adds to their great reputation.
on March 16, 2017
I have a 2 and 3 year old. They love this game and also have 2 other like this from Melissa and Doug. Great products!
on August 27, 2017
Great puzzle, but a little hard for the kids to hold the pieces up magnetically and fit into right spot at the same time
VINE VOICEon September 22, 2017
Our 3-year old granddaughters love these fishing puzzles and, the Melissa and Doug quality can't be beat!
on March 22, 2017
I was very disappointed with this product after purchasing a similar Disney themed puzzle. While the Disney puzzle had a picture printed under the puzzle piece, this one is blank. I feel this cheapens the product and makes it much less interesting for the child. Zero stars.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2014
The insects included are: grasshopper, 2 butterflies, ladybug, bee, caterpillar, lightning bug, dragonfly, ant and spider.

My 2.5-year-old loved this Christmas present. Out of about 15 toys to choose from, this was in the top two. He dumped it out over and over again the first night, and has come back to it every night since. He likes to name each insect as he picks it up with the magnetic "net," and places it carefully in its spot.