Oil month Automotive Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on January 6, 2016
I bought this for my 4 year old daughter, she's been watching "The Magic School Bus" on Netflix and has since been really interested in the human body. She'll walk into he room and say, "Look Mom! My bones and muscles are holding me up!" She also has an older sister that has cerebral palsy, and she understands that her sisters muscles don't work like other kids. She loves being able to see all the different layers of the body.

One thing that caught me off guard was the different boy and girl parts. The organs and skin layers have girls parts and boy parts.

Wasn't a big deal for me, as we have always taught the atomically correct names for boys and girls private parts, and my kids understand the differences between them.
I just thought I would mention it so you know what you're getting.
11 comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 23, 2017
I think these magnets are great, my only complaint would be that the body itself is not magnetic even though all the other pieces are. It does come with a little stand for the body, but this is my second set of M&D magnets so I made the same addition to this one as I did last time- I happened to have some large magnetic sheets (they're supposed to be magnetic floor bent covers but I don't use them) I cut them into the shape of the body and glued them on with a strong epoxy. Now all the pieces can live on the fridge!
on February 15, 2016
My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter loved these. First thing she did was try on all the clothes. The dolls, the clothes and the case are all wood. Sturdy. She cannot break them. She uses the case to put them to bed. The dolls stand well. and the clothing sticks. This toy will grow with her. Right now she can put the clothes on and take them off but has a little trouble lining them up. They do line up easily, she is just not physically there. Three may be a better age to give them to a child.

I'd recommend having a little purse or box for the shoes ready before opening the package. My granddaughter really loves the shoes but they can also get lost quickly.

The dolls are not naked. And the clothes are girl clothes. Not sexy or Barbie like. If they were, I would not have bought them.

To be 100% perfect, the case would have a handle and a latching lid.
I was thinking of Christmas present ideas for my five-year-old twins when I remembered how much they enjoyed these wooden doll puzzles that my mother-in-law has at her house. I thought I would find something similar for my kids when I came across these. They seemed perfect! I ended up ordering the Nina Ballerina one for my daughter and Melissa & Doug Joey Magnetic Wooden Dress-Up Pretend Play Set (25+ pcs) for my son.

This Nina Ballerina Magnetic Dress-Up Pretend Play Set is a wonderful gift idea for a little girl who enjoys using her imagination and playing dress up (because what girl doesn't like that????). The set comes with the ballerina who is wearing a leotard and tights. She measures 8 3/8 inches tall and 4 1/4 inches wide (by her arms). The doll measures 3/8 inches thick. Nina is magnetic so the magnetic outfits will stick to her. The stand keeps her standing upright and measures 3 1/8 inches long by 1 7/8 inches wide by 3/4 inches high. There are a total of six outfits that mostly include ballet costumes of the tops, bottoms, shoes, and headpieces.There are also three more "outfits" that I thought were outfits but must not be counted in the six. Those include a leotard, tank top, skirt, frilly shirt, and skirt. Not all outfits have all of the same number of pieces but you can mix and match. There are 27 total costume pieces (we are missing one from our set which is somewhere in the abyss of my daughter's room) and they are all magnetic. This set is made in China and is recommended for ages three plus.

When my daughter opened this gift on Christmas morning, she was so excited! She's played with it quite a bit in the month since she's had it. It's fun for her to mix and match the outfits, depending on what she feels like. I like that everything is made so well, in true Melissa & Doug fashion.

I would've given this product five stars except for the fact that it doesn't have a lid to keep the pieces in the box. This means we have to lay it flat on a shelf or dresser and if it gets tipped over, all of the pieces fall out, which has happened a few times.

Other than the nonexistent lid, this product is awesome and perfect for a little girl! I wish I would've found this sooner when my daughter was younger but she will be able to play with it for awhile, plus her friends like it too. It's reasonably priced for the quality and I recommend it if you need a gift for a little girl!
on March 30, 2018
I bought this wooden/magnetic "paper doll" toy for a 4-year-old who likes to dress herself up often. I grew up with paper dolls where the tabs did not really hold the paper clothes on the doll at all so I think this magnetic version is a great concept. The set seems well-made. I especially like the wooden stands where one's fashion work can be displayed. There are many outfit choices. However, there are two reasons I'm giving it 2-stars. One is that it is difficult for an adult to figure out how to coordinate the pants length and shoes so they are not awkwardly apart or overlapping. The second is that there is no box top - like a sliding plastic cover or even a handle on the crate/box. Pieces can be scattered (or lost) easily and it is not portable to take it to Grandma's or elsewhere. These two factors caused the child to lose interest in the toy very quickly. It now sits, untouched, on the shelf.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 13, 2016
I gave this to my niece for Christmas, who had just turned 4 at the time, and it was SUCH a big hit. It was the only Christmas gift she wanted to play with nonstop. It was very easy and accessible for her, so she could play with it with minimal adult supervision without getting frustrated. Although it was so cute and fun that I wanted to play with it too! Also, fortunately, I don't remember this set having a bad/toxic smell, like some of the other reviewers mention. There are some small pieces, like the hats and shoes, that make this toy potentially dangerous to younger toddlers, so watch out for that. But for my 4-year-old niece, it definitely fit the bill!
on December 26, 2017
I bought 2 of these dolls for 2 of my friend’s 3-year-old little girls for Christmas. The package arrived quickly and was in great condition. The product itself is great quality as most Melissa and Doug products are. The magnetic outfits work great and I was impressed by the amount of ways to trade out tops, skirts, hair pieces and shoes. I also love that it is wood so it is able to last much longer than traditional paper dolls. I was able to watch one of the little girls play with it and it kept her attention for quite awhile as well as my 3 year-old-boy’s attention 😄 For the product itself I have just one complaint thus giving it 4 stars instead of 5. It comes in a wood box that has no lid so once you remove the plastic wrap all the little pieces will need to go in a ziplock bag so they don’t get lost. I wish Melissa and Doug had created a piece of wood to slide in the box and act as a cover so it could stack on a shelf or to take on the go without worrying about losing little pieces.
review image
on December 21, 2016
Just as pictured. Like others have said, you can not stack the pieces and have the magnets hold. I don't think this is a big deal at all. My children laid out the different systems on the table top and then "attached" whatever they felt like doing next.We used this during a comprehensive study of the human body. Worked out well.
on January 15, 2018
I love it. It is a quality play set but it has no lid or anyway to keep it all together for individual play time. We had to keep close watch on it as our grand D is just under 3 and can not balance the box. The box is nice and sturdy. If you have a file shelf for puzzles and can store it away it is great. I think an older child 4 or 5 would find no issue with it..... Even if it had only one section with lid for the shoes it would be great as they are smaller pieces. Our grand D is great playing with one item at a time and putting it away but a cover or lid would be nice. Definitely a take out and play together item and put away. This is five stars for quality as Melissa & Doug are great purchases.
on August 17, 2017
Beautifully made like all Melissa and Doug products. I'm using this to homeschool my 4 year old and she has enjoyed this toy. She learned things I hadn't even noticed with my adult eyes.

This also helped us explain how blood works so when she got her first big bloody booboo, she wasn't nearly as upset as I thought she might be. She knew it was only blood and the knowledge helped her stay calm.