Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 10, 2017
Pieces thick and clumsy. Doesn't close and all parts stay loose.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This was a 2nd birthday gift for our middle grandson from my mother, bless her heart, and it sure did bring back some memories... both of playing with paper dolls with my sisters, as well as my (first) husband's reaction when - in the mid-80s - I'd purchased a neat looking fabric stuffed doll called "My Buddy" for my oldest son - he threw a fit! Despite the fact that "Buddy" was dressed in overalls and a red baseball cap, he didn't think it "appropriate" for our son to be bringing a "girl's toy" to bed with him. It sure is good to see how much society has changed from our once strident preoccupation with gender specific roles, occupations, stereotypes, etc.!

This put me somewhat in mind of the "Colorforms" I had so much fun with as a young girl in the 60's (thin die cut vinyl images that adhered to a shiny plastic, laminated board that you could reposition as desired). I was impressed with the 1/2" inch thickness of this wooden Joey (certainly holds up a lot better than paper!) - he's 8" tall and 4" wide, comes in a Tshirt and underwear, and then your youngster has several options to dress him in. I like that there are a combination of fantasy costumes (a 5 piece super hero including a cape and mask, a 5 piece pirate including a hat with an eye patch attached, and a 5 piece knight including a helmet), as well as real-life heroes (a 5 piece fireman in head-to-toe fire fighting gear, a 3 piece policeman outfit, and a 3 piece construction worker outfit, though I don't understand why they limited the amount of pieces for the policeman and construction worker... their shoes are attached to their bottom sections, rather than loose as with the other outfits.) There's a sturdy little "stand" included (though our grandson never uses it.)

This is a nice little set to teach "matching" the different clothing items, but he also enjoys MISmatching pieces to create crazy looking combos (not all of the pieces fit together physically, but he makes do.) Unfortunately, someone didn't have their "thinking cap" on during the design stage of this set... they didn't include some sort of lid for the sturdy wooden compartmentalized storage box (@ 11-3/4" x 8-1/4" x 1"), which is really not a good thing when there are so many pieces (have NO idea where the construction worker's hard hat went to!) One other thing I'd caution... some of the smaller pieces (i.e. the super hero mask, which is just 1-1/2" x 1/2" x 1/8" thick) COULD be choking hazards, and I did find our grandson putting that piece in his mouth, so just know your child and whether they have a propensity to do that. I don't see an age recommendation, but I think 2 years old might be just a tad too early with all of the small shoe pieces.
on March 25, 2017
My daughter loves these dolls. I love that it has many different outfits and occupations for her to use to dress the dolls up. I wish the plastic case that came as a cover were permanent because it becomes hard to store without a cover.
on January 15, 2011
This is a great toy, however, as another reader states, Melissa & Doug failed terribly in the container, and it IS important!!!
There are so many little pieces that, you want to keep them in a container you can close, otherwise it is a real pain, trust me.
I found a much better version of this toy, made by Circo (I believe this is a Target brand), the doll is nicer, there are more pieces of clothing AND the box has a sliding lid, BRILLIANT. I actually bought it too and looove it, as for the Melissa & Doug one, I have to find another box to put all the pieces together... not very smart.
With kids, you want to keep things organized and mess-free as much as posible, so GO with the Target brand, it is just as good quality, better design and cheaper!!!
22 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 28, 2017
We love this set. My son enjoys playing dress-up with his sister, and loves her magnetic princess dolls, and also loves to carefully set out and then put on his clothes in the morning. I thought this would be a fun toy for him, and I greatly underestimated how much he would love it. He would take it everywhere if he could. We have lost a piece already, and part of the reason is because the set is poorly packaged. There is no good storage option other than to take it out of its beautiful wooden box and place it in something that actually closes. What you see is what you get - there is no functional cover on this box. It is wrapped in plastic, and as soon as that's removed, that's it. But that is my only complaint about this toy! The pieces are well-made, and durable. The magnets are strong. We have had no problem getting them to stick and stay, even during vigorous play time. Because all the "shirts" are different sizes, as well as all the pants and shoes, it's difficult to impossible to mix and match certain outfits - your only option really is to put the outfits on as shown, with a few exceptions.
VINE VOICEon November 2, 2016
Format: Toy|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this for my little girl because I just love the wide variety of professions Julia can be: Doctor, firefighter, police officer, astronaut, chef, superhero, artist and singer. There's no gender stereotyping, which I LOVE.

The doll itself is a good size and wooden so it can take abuse. The stand is pretty stable too. My concern was that the magnetic outfits would had weak magnetism and slide off during play but that was not the case. Unless my daughter vigorously shook her, the clothes stayed put.

For the price, I think this is a great toy. My only wish was that the box had a lid so all the parts are contained. You can't take this traveling with you because all the pieces just fall out.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 28, 2016
We gave this wonderful item to our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter. She immediately started putting the magnetic pieces on and interchanging them. I bought this item because of its quality and being fashioned towards positive messages it gives those playing with it. I had previously bought the male magnetic set for our grandsons, and it has withstood 3 boys and it still holding up perfectly. The kids are always so excited to show you all the different and sometimes funny ways they have dressed their toy up.
VINE VOICEon November 30, 2016
Format: Toy|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This "Julia" Magnetic Dress-up Doll set is so adorable and fun!

The doll, box, and stand are all wooden, and the clothing is screened on sturdy magnets. You won't have to worry about them tearing or fading. The high quality of this set is what I've come to appreciate and expect from the Melissa & Doug company.

I like the choice in outfits for the Julia doll. So many dolls for girls come with ballerina and princess outfits. This one is different. It has 8 different outfits: Doctor, Astronaut, Rock Star, Super Hero, Firefighter, Artist, Chef, and Police Officer.

I have a few other sets like this, including Elsa, Anna, and Joey. They are all great and my kids and their friends have fun playing with them. I'm thrilled to add Julia to my collection.

The one thing I wish Melissa & Doug would do is made lids for their boxes! Their wooden boxes are made so well for holding the items, but there is no lid to keep it all in. I hope they work on that...
on December 30, 2016
I purchased this for my niece since she never had a paper doll before. When I called to ask if she liked the present she screamed...YES AUNTIE!
I could hear the excitement in her voice. I was told that it arrived on Christmas eve and that it was packaged very well. I remember playing with paper dolls as a young girl, and I was glad to know that my niece was able to have the same opportunity to enjoy playing with her gift.

Thank you for helping me to make her Christmas just a little more merrier.

Thanks,
VINE VOICEon November 2, 2016
Format: Toy|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really like this toy. My kids who are almost 2, 4, and 6 alll enjoy playing with it (although I wouldn't buy it specifically for children over, say, 4). The magnetic pieces are large enough that even the 2 year old can get them on the doll. The 4 year old cracks up by mixing and matching the outfits, and then putting all the right ones together. I challenge the 6 year old's creativity by asking him to make up a story about the job the person has. As a professional career mom, I was very happy to see a female doll with career outfits, rather than just stylish dresses and swim suits (sorry, Barbie!). I feel like you can't go wrong with Melissa and Doug, and this product is no different. I highly recommend for a reasonably-priced gift.