Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Melissa & Doug Horse Carrier
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School STEM

Format: Toy|Change

on December 27, 2010
This was a birthday gift for my son and I expected it to live up to the reputation of Melissa & Doug quality. The truck & trailer are great but the horses are CHEAP! They are cheap hollow plastic horses. The leg of one horse has already broken. Thankfully we already have some other more durable horses that he can put into the horse carrier.
on January 25, 2011
When I purchased Melissa and Doug mini stable it suggested I buy this too so I did but I did not read dimensions first it is not the same scale as stable I bought. The horse trailer is too small to fit horses in from the stable. The horses itcame with are more like babies plus the door on back of trailer is very hard to open and close otherwise it seems to be made well I'm just dissapointed it doesn't go with the stable
on April 10, 2013
Overall I have been pretty disappointed by Melissa and Doug recently since the quality has steadily gone down hill as the accessibility of their products rise. We have many hand-me-down M&D Toys, and many more that have been gifts, and this is one of the few that I myself have chosen to purchase recently. As long as you are not expecting spectacular quality and hardwoods, than this (and the other trucks from this series) are really quite nice. Melissa and Doug makes affordable toys that are really well conceived and designed, and this is no exception. The horses leave something to be desired, and as others have stated are indeed hallow fuzzy plastic, and I imagine that they will eventually break, probably from being stepped on(this seems to be the #1 reason for a toys demise in our house). I bought this to go with a wooden barn that my husband made, the Plan Toy Farm Animal Set, and Le Toy Van Wooden Bertie's Tractor Set as a 2nd birthday present for my son, and as a set all of these items really compliment one another. I found this horse trailer at a local department store and the price was so cheap(even less than Amazon!), and it was so appealing that I grabbed it as a last minute add on, and I'm really happy I did because my son really loves it and plays with it often. I also really like that the trailer portion can be mixed and matched with the Melissa & Doug Car Carrier, and the Melissa & Doug Log Carrier that we also have. We did not have any horses so that also solved that issue when putting together a farm set. He loves his little horses and enjoys taking them out and putting them in, although I have noticed that when he slides them in their turned heads get stuck in the windows sometimes and prevents him from being able to push them all the way in. But his patience and problem solving is improving everyday, and this is a toy that is helping with that! You also have to lift the back door slightly, stretching the elastic, to open and close it, and this too has been a learning process that has proven to be a benefit. As long as it is not too challenging, I can really appreciate these small challenges in design because they do indeed teach a child fine motor skills. That is what toys are all about, right! This horses are not scaled the same as the other farm animals we have, but that kind of thing really only bothers an adult, as children really don't care so much, especially when they are young. We have a variety of farm animals from different manufacturer's and my son could care less that the horses are the same size as theAnamalz Pig, for example:)
I used to be a huge fan of Melissa and Doug, but nowadays I am much more careful about what I choose to buy from them. In general, the painted toys that receive a lot of wear and tear(for example the play food)chip way too much, and so I avoid them for the most part. For me, certain toys, like this one and the other trucks are really a nice, reasonably priced way to add toys to your child's collection that look good, are not plastic, and do not break the bank! They are not high-end quality, I know that, and whether or not they break is a gamble, so I recommend that you choose carefully and thoughtfully. I am happy to report that so far this horse trailer set is a winner for us:)
on January 13, 2012
I bought this horse trailer for my 3 1/2 year old son as a Christmas present. I am very pleased with it so far. It works well, seems durable and my son has had a blast with it so far. Yes, the horses are on the cheaper side, but as a child, I had many horses similar to them and the way I look at it is they are an added benefit as my purchase was for a horse trailer. :-D Overall, I highly recommend this!
on November 23, 2010
This horse carrier by Melissa & Doug is very well made and done with understanding of what children like to play with. I have found that all Melissa and Doug products are very kid friendly. It will provide lots of active fun for my granddaughter. It more than met my expectations.Horse Carrier
on March 4, 2016
I am a big believer in this company. It give me no pleasure to critique it but this toy needs to be addressed. Upon delivery the hook latch was broken and the paint job on diagonal. The wheels were not calibrated so one could not tug it as a 3yr old would like to. Another one was sent to me and hitch intact. Sloppy construction was again present. It pains me to say this but I felt it was not made with any care except to get it out and the horses that fit in the Melissa Doug barn don't fit in which was part of the point of buying this tou to compliment her other horses. It is a pity that this was of such low quality. Happily my 3yr has painted it and her paint job is actually better...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2015
Seriously....what could be wrong with a Melissa & Doug toy? My 2 year old niece is crazy about horses, and this will be perfect play for her little hands! Perfect size, quality, and encourages use of her imagination as well! The horses are realistic without being "stamped-out," and the different textures encourages her tactile learning! Thanks again, Melissa & Doug!
on February 23, 2013
I am a big fan of Melissa and Doug products but this is the worst one we have bought! The horses are tiny and very poor quality, the fuzzy coating on one horse is falling off and looks like the horse has leprosy. I bought it for my son for his 4th birthday but it's better suited for my 18 month old. Weird size and doesn't go at all with our melissa and doug barn as far as size. Save your money on this melissa and doug product and get another one!
on February 18, 2016
This was a gift for my nephew. We love the Melissa and Doug products, this was not different. Great quality and got it at a great price. Love the simplicity of these toys, they really resonate with the kids. Will purchase this brand again.
on November 3, 2015
I got this to go along with the Melissa & Doug Barn that I got for my two-year-old grandson. The age recommendation says 3 years+, but my two-year-old really likes playing with it. The horses fit nicely inside the trailer and the horses have a felt texture to them and soft tail and mane.