Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Melissa & Doug Suspend Family Game (31 pcs)
Item Package Quantity: 1|Size: One Size|Change

on December 27, 2017
I ordered this as a Christmas gift for my 5 year old son. The game looks fun and he was really excited to play. We were stumped when trying to set up the game. We couldn't figure out how to connect the wooden connector. Though some research and YouTubing, we discovered that our wooden connector was missing the drilled holes on both sides! I'm currently requesting a product exchange but it looks like it's on backorder for Prime and won't be here for a week :(
My current 3-star rating took into account the excellent quality of the product; it's well constructed, as is all Melissa and Doug products...not the flimsy plastic toys you typically see today. I'll edit my rating and provide an updated review once we receive a functioning product.
review imagereview image
VINE VOICEon August 4, 2012
Item Package Quantity: 1|Size: One Size|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll mirror some other sentiments here regarding the lack of various shapes. The fact that all the pieces are in essence sticks makes gameplay a tad boring and uneventful after a while. Sure, the fun factor is there in the beginning, but it wears off after gameplay begins to lack any real shifts. If you are playing to win, then you are limited to the places in which you can actually hang your pieces, and once you figure out how to strengthen the core then you basically regurgitate the same moves every time you play. Playing alone only helps you to figure out how to build effectively, and there isn't an unlimited amount of shapes you can create here, considering that the structures are very easy to collapse if you don't lay your pieces in essentially the same spots every time.

I really like the idea of this, but in order to make this a game that is fun EVERY time and one that the whole family will want to revisit, they really need to create extension packs and even include different bases that would allow for more elaborate creations. As it is, you can basically make one thing here. I do like that it makes you think, and it teaches patience (although my kids are too young for this, so it's a game that my wife and I have entertained ourselves with) and it really does take a steady hand and eye to master it effectively; but the lack of diversity makes this a one-trick pony that runs out of steam rather quickly.
88 comments| 283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 15, 2018
COMPONENTS: I've always loved dexterity games, and this is a good one. My game came in a long cylindrical plastic tube which contained a wooden base and metal frame that takes you 10 seconds to put together each time you play, 24 metal rods with rubber tips in 6 colours, a colour die, and an instruction sheet.

SET-UP: First you assemble the wooden base with the four metal rods and wooden connector. Then the metal rods/pieces are shared out, each player getting the same number of each colour, and extras (if any) going to a draw pile.

GAME-PLAY: The basic objective is to be the first player who gets rid of all their rods/pieces, by hanging them from the structure, taking turns to place one at a time, depending on what colour you roll on the die. But there are some rules for placement: You can only use one hand when placing a piece. And once you let go and remove your hand - your turn is done. You can hang your piece anywhere, except on a notch or straight section already used by another piece. If after letting your piece go any other piece touches the ground, you need to reposition your piece. Finally, any pieces that fall during your turn, get added to your pile.

LOOKS: Suspend has quality components, and is an attention-grabber when set up on the table or in play. It's fun to play yourself, but also fun to watch others play.

ACCESSIBLE: The beauty about a game like this is that anybody of any age or ability can play it. The rules are easy to learn and understand, and you can be playing it 60 seconds after you've seen it for the first time. Plus an entire game can be played in well under 10 minutes.

DYNAMIC: Although Suspend shares something in common with Jenga at its raw level, the components have a very different look, and the way the balancing works is quite different. You are not working with a static tower, but the entire structure will move and change every time you play a piece. This makes it slightly less predictable and even harder to assess what will happen each time you add a piece, but it also makes it dynamic and exciting to watch and play.

FUN: Anything that involves physically building something and watching it tumble down will create moments of tension (will it fall?), moments of drama (will he succeed?), moments of disaster (oh, it toppled!). Moments like these that also create laughs and entertainment. The dynamic structure can create gasps as each piece is added and the entire structure swings and changes, and also moments of frustration when pieces tumble off or the entire thing falls over. It really is just a fun game!

VARIANTS: The game comes with a few ways to play, but what it really needs are some good house rules and official variations, which can mitigate the frustration that can be caused by rolling the die. Fortunately you'll find lots of good suggested house rules online that improve this, although for the average person this won't be an issue, given how quick and fun the game is.

RECOMMENDATION: The central element that makes Suspend so much fun is the tense battle against momentum and gravity as you carefully position a new piece onto a swaying and volatile structure! The entertainment that this provides makes it very worth while. There are some real strengths here in terms of accessibility and appeal, and the amount of fun that the game Suspend can produce for a wide range of people. For me Suspend is a keeper!

- BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 1, 2017
I was looking for a game that I can play with both adults and children and doesn't require too much thinking.

You will receive a plastic tube containing 24 rods, 4 frame rods, a die, a wooden base, a wooden connector.

Setting up the game is very easy: you just need to stick 3 frame rods into the wooden base and then add a fourth one using the wooden connector.
Then you can distribute the metal rods, depending on how many people (up to 4) are going to play.

The rules are simple (there are variants if you want to make the game more challenging): you first roll the die and take a rod of the corresponding color; you will then have to add the rod to the structure with caution, so that it doesn't collapse. If any rods fall, they become yours.
The first player that remains without rods wins.

This game is very fun to play and it can entertain both adults and children.
I like that it doesn't take much space and is easy to carry around.
Moreover, the rods are very light, so you don't risk damaging your table.
The only, very minor thing, that could be improved is the fact that the black and blue colors on the die look very similar if you don't have a bright light source; after some time, you get used to it though.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 23, 2018
This game is a simple concept, and yet I really enjoy playing it. It takes a combination of strategy, dexterity, and balancing in order to be good at the game. And the whole tide can change with just one turn, which definitely adds to the fun in my opinion.

It also seems to be something that both the adults and the nieces/nephews on my family can all enjoy playing, so I wish that there were some sort of expansion set that would allow more than just 4 people to play.

Aside from that, I couldn't ask anything more, and I really wish I could give this 4.5 stars.

So if you don't mind playing with 4 players or less (or perhaps you might want to experiment with combining two sets), I say go for it!
on December 19, 2017
Overall fun but some quality control problems as a few of my pieces were glued together on their rubber ends and forced me to cut them.

Not sure replay-ability is very high. I guess we'll see if the kids stay engaged, they seemed bored after a game or 2.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 24, 2014
it have a missing part
55 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 27, 2018
Very disappointed that theis particular toy was manufactured in China and not USA, as I remember my kid growing up with Melissa and Doug toys and the first thing I noticed boldly printed on the label was “Made in USA” on their toys. Fast forward about 12 years later and playing this game with my 16 yrs old and could not see the point to this game as the pieces just keep falling off the main body support. Therefore I find it unlikely most young children would have the patience or mental ability to figure out this game and don’t think this will be one of those classic games you keep even after your kids have grown up, but certain mine in going to the donation pile.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 18, 2016
The concept is there, the reality is that it is way too simple. We were mastering it every time, and this was with a 9-year-old.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 3, 2018
We have really enjoyed this game! My big kids are 7, 5, and 4 years old. The older two love playing it; my 4 year old likes it but needs a little assistance. Even when we are not playing the actual game, my kids play with it and try to see how big they can build while keeping it balanced. Very cool game!
*pictures don’t do it justice
review imagereview image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.