Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 15, 2013
I bought these for my son when he turned 2. He's been using them pretty much daily for the past 8 months. This toy consists of three separate pieces: (1) the yellow truck cab, (b) the natural-colored wooden trailer, and (c) the orange excavator.

THE GOOD:
-Mostly wooden (some parts, like the wheels and the excavator's scoop and arm are plastic)
-Simple. No batteries, lights, or noises. Leaves the imaginative work to the child.
-Durable. My kid has not been kind to these and they're still basically in perfect condition.
-Excavator rotates on it's base. The scoop can be raised and lowered.
-Unique. Kids enjoy that the excavator can ride on the flatbed truck.
-Inexpensive. The quality has exceeded my expectations based on the price.

THE BAD:
-Requires a bit of dexterity. The yellow cab is pretty easy to hook up to the trailer, so that part is okay. But getting the excavator's wheels properly situated in the grooves on the trailer requires a level of manual dexterity that 2-year-olds may or may not have. It frustrated my child for quite a while, although he can do it now. (In fairness, I think this toy is listed as being for kids age 3 and up.)
-Made overseas. This toy is priced really well for the quality. To me, that raises questions about the conditions under which it was made. Although I like this product, I would be willing to pay more for it if the company provided some assurances that they are using fair labor practices and adhering to good environmental standards. (Or better yet, manufacturing their toys in the United States.)
27 people found this helpful
on February 4, 2015
Great little toy! It took our son a bit to get the excavator lined up right on the trailer. He would get frustrated that it would fall off, but once he got it figured out, no problem! He was also probably a bit young when we gave it to him to have that sort of coordination down.

The digger is hard to actually dig with - it takes a lot of coordination and 2 hands. We tried digging in some rice and little man just got frustrated. So if you're looking to actually do some digging, this may not be your best bet.
2 people found this helpful
on April 4, 2014
what can I say? this is a Melissa and Doug product! it's fabulous and TOP quality; sturdy, fun and all wooden! No cheap plastic that breaks with light wear and tear. My son loves tractors, trailors, trains.....basically anything with wheels. We bout this for him for christmas and he along with other similar products plays with these daily; and might I add they've been through rough play and handlings and have maintained in all aspects: color, quality, etc. LOVE this and other similar sets....we've just about collected them all!
3 people found this helpful
on December 13, 2015
I'm absolutely obsessed with Melissa & Doug toys, and this of course is no different. My two year old carries this around all the time, and even tries to take in the car when we go places. I love that the trailer is so easy for him to hook up; some of his other toys are still a bit difficult to hook up. The colors are vibrant and the toy itself is of a great quality.
on March 29, 2017
Cute as can be, my boys favorite of the set we bought him, plays for hours on end and unlike its counterpart smaller vehicles the paint is holding up well. Only thing I would change is the flatbed being removable, only because my child removes it then misplaced either piece and has a meltdown til we find it.
on January 14, 2014
I was surprised when my 5-soon-to-be-6 year old requested this for Christmas; it seemed a little "young" for him. But, he loves playing with it. Melissa and Doug toys are well made; the wooden construction will last and make this an heirloom toy someday.
3 people found this helpful
on September 7, 2015
I would give this a 5-star review, but it came in broken. :( Thankfully, I had some clamps and wood glue on hand and I was able to fix it before my son's birthday (the next day!). Otherwise, this is a GREAT excavator / trailer set - and I would highly recommend it.
review image
One person found this helpful
on April 10, 2018
Item arrived on time as ordered great product and good price.
on September 17, 2016
A wonderful toy. My two year old grandson loves construction equipment, this quickly became his favorite toy in our collection. It is well made, almost indestructible and a great size for his hands.
on March 26, 2018