Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 15, 2013
I bought these for my son when he turned 2. He's been using them pretty much daily for the past 8 months. This toy consists of three separate pieces: (1) the yellow truck cab, (b) the natural-colored wooden trailer, and (c) the orange excavator.

THE GOOD:
-Mostly wooden (some parts, like the wheels and the excavator's scoop and arm are plastic)
-Simple. No batteries, lights, or noises. Leaves the imaginative work to the child.
-Durable. My kid has not been kind to these and they're still basically in perfect condition.
-Excavator rotates on it's base. The scoop can be raised and lowered.
-Unique. Kids enjoy that the excavator can ride on the flatbed truck.
-Inexpensive. The quality has exceeded my expectations based on the price.

THE BAD:
-Requires a bit of dexterity. The yellow cab is pretty easy to hook up to the trailer, so that part is okay. But getting the excavator's wheels properly situated in the grooves on the trailer requires a level of manual dexterity that 2-year-olds may or may not have. It frustrated my child for quite a while, although he can do it now. (In fairness, I think this toy is listed as being for kids age 3 and up.)
-Made overseas. This toy is priced really well for the quality. To me, that raises questions about the conditions under which it was made. Although I like this product, I would be willing to pay more for it if the company provided some assurances that they are using fair labor practices and adhering to good environmental standards. (Or better yet, manufacturing their toys in the United States.)
on February 4, 2015
Great little toy! It took our son a bit to get the excavator lined up right on the trailer. He would get frustrated that it would fall off, but once he got it figured out, no problem! He was also probably a bit young when we gave it to him to have that sort of coordination down.

The digger is hard to actually dig with - it takes a lot of coordination and 2 hands. We tried digging in some rice and little man just got frustrated. So if you're looking to actually do some digging, this may not be your best bet.
on April 4, 2014
what can I say? this is a Melissa and Doug product! it's fabulous and TOP quality; sturdy, fun and all wooden! No cheap plastic that breaks with light wear and tear. My son loves tractors, trailors, trains.....basically anything with wheels. We bout this for him for christmas and he along with other similar products plays with these daily; and might I add they've been through rough play and handlings and have maintained in all aspects: color, quality, etc. LOVE this and other similar sets....we've just about collected them all!
on March 29, 2017
Cute as can be, my boys favorite of the set we bought him, plays for hours on end and unlike its counterpart smaller vehicles the paint is holding up well. Only thing I would change is the flatbed being removable, only because my child removes it then misplaced either piece and has a meltdown til we find it.
on May 2, 2013
My two and four-year-old grandsons love these toys. They are sturdy and detailed enough to withstand their attention and stimulate their imaginations. My only concern is that I'm not sure they are made in the US.
on September 17, 2016
A wonderful toy. My two year old grandson loves construction equipment, this quickly became his favorite toy in our collection. It is well made, almost indestructible and a great size for his hands.
on September 7, 2015
I would give this a 5-star review, but it came in broken. :( Thankfully, I had some clamps and wood glue on hand and I was able to fix it before my son's birthday (the next day!). Otherwise, this is a GREAT excavator / trailer set - and I would highly recommend it.
review image
on January 28, 2014
It was a great purchase for a 3 year old. All parts are sized perfect for little hands and big hands. The structure is well made swivel action is really fast when pushed. The tires are wobbly but does not affect any part of play. All in all I will continue to buy the whole construction set for my boys. I recommend.
on December 13, 2015
I'm absolutely obsessed with Melissa & Doug toys, and this of course is no different. My two year old carries this around all the time, and even tries to take in the car when we go places. I love that the trailer is so easy for him to hook up; some of his other toys are still a bit difficult to hook up. The colors are vibrant and the toy itself is of a great quality.
on September 28, 2017
This is a favorite in my house!