Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 139 reviews
on June 15, 2013
I bought these for my son when he turned 2. He's been using them pretty much daily for the past 8 months. This toy consists of three separate pieces: (1) the yellow truck cab, (b) the natural-colored wooden trailer, and (c) the orange excavator.

THE GOOD:
-Mostly wooden (some parts, like the wheels and the excavator's scoop and arm are plastic)
-Simple. No batteries, lights, or noises. Leaves the imaginative work to the child.
-Durable. My kid has not been kind to these and they're still basically in perfect condition.
-Excavator rotates on it's base. The scoop can be raised and lowered.
-Unique. Kids enjoy that the excavator can ride on the flatbed truck.
-Inexpensive. The quality has exceeded my expectations based on the price.

THE BAD:
-Requires a bit of dexterity. The yellow cab is pretty easy to hook up to the trailer, so that part is okay. But getting the excavator's wheels properly situated in the grooves on the trailer requires a level of manual dexterity that 2-year-olds may or may not have. It frustrated my child for quite a while, although he can do it now. (In fairness, I think this toy is listed as being for kids age 3 and up.)
-Made overseas. This toy is priced really well for the quality. To me, that raises questions about the conditions under which it was made. Although I like this product, I would be willing to pay more for it if the company provided some assurances that they are using fair labor practices and adhering to good environmental standards. (Or better yet, manufacturing their toys in the United States.)
on February 4, 2015
Great little toy! It took our son a bit to get the excavator lined up right on the trailer. He would get frustrated that it would fall off, but once he got it figured out, no problem! He was also probably a bit young when we gave it to him to have that sort of coordination down.

The digger is hard to actually dig with - it takes a lot of coordination and 2 hands. We tried digging in some rice and little man just got frustrated. So if you're looking to actually do some digging, this may not be your best bet.
on April 4, 2014
what can I say? this is a Melissa and Doug product! it's fabulous and TOP quality; sturdy, fun and all wooden! No cheap plastic that breaks with light wear and tear. My son loves tractors, trailors, trains.....basically anything with wheels. We bout this for him for christmas and he along with other similar products plays with these daily; and might I add they've been through rough play and handlings and have maintained in all aspects: color, quality, etc. LOVE this and other similar sets....we've just about collected them all!
on March 29, 2017
Cute as can be, my boys favorite of the set we bought him, plays for hours on end and unlike its counterpart smaller vehicles the paint is holding up well. Only thing I would change is the flatbed being removable, only because my child removes it then misplaced either piece and has a meltdown til we find it.
on May 2, 2013
My two and four-year-old grandsons love these toys. They are sturdy and detailed enough to withstand their attention and stimulate their imaginations. My only concern is that I'm not sure they are made in the US.
on March 15, 2017
Fun for my 2.5 year old twins
on April 26, 2017
I know i's a toy but the back wheels on the excavator are too narrow so it doesn't really fit on the trailer well. Other than that my 4 year old loves it
on May 13, 2016
Yeah, I have a truck loving toddler and I'm guilty of trying to collect as many as I can from everywhere possible. This cute set was received as hand me down from a friend whose kid outgrew them. Just look at the pics - as good as new. Thats what M & D toys are. They are sturdy, durable, made of good quality wood that are easy for children to hold and play with and not many breakable parts at all.
So there are 3 parts to this toy set -
1. The yellow trailer cab
2. The wood colored trailer
3. Orange excavator

The best part is the tractor trailer which moves very well on carpet and hardwood floors and provides for hours of enjoyment for my 2 yr old. This is lightweight and easy to carry too so definitely in my diaper bag when I know we will be out of the home for a few hours.
Combine these toys with some videos of the trucks and excavators you find on youtube targeted towards toddlers and you have a win win.
My kid even sings the excavator songs as he plays with him. Invents his own games with these toys and finally points out colors as well.
No lights and sounds or batteries. So long lasting life! My kind of toys!
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 13, 2015
I'm absolutely obsessed with Melissa & Doug toys, and this of course is no different. My two year old carries this around all the time, and even tries to take in the car when we go places. I love that the trailer is so easy for him to hook up; some of his other toys are still a bit difficult to hook up. The colors are vibrant and the toy itself is of a great quality.
on February 11, 2013
What can I say, nicely made, the kids love it, nuff said. It does hurt when your toddler hits you on the head with it.