Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 383 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 497 reviews
on February 5, 2017
So this is a toy we've had for nearly 2.5 years now. What I love about this thing is that it is durable as heck-it takes a ton of abuse, and the paint is still mostly intact on it, despite the fact that our son, who is a heavy oral stemmer, chews on its pieces incessantly.

This is a cool developmental toy because it does allow for different ways of putting together the blocks to set the train up. Sometimes, we're still working on that in this house...like today, when he growled at me after I put the pieces on it and then proceeded to rip them back off again, because he wanted to play with it bare. He's definitely a boy who knows his own mind about how he wants to do things, and it's not always the way a toy is designed to be used. But that's the beauty of this toy, you can use it for different things...teaching colors, shapes, and orientation of putting blocks on pegs, because some of them have holes in directions our son doesn't expect, and because he struggles sometimes to generalize things, it's something we're still working on with him, but I do really like that feature of this toy.

Overall, I think this is a super cool, fun developmental toy, but by far the most awesome thing about it is how indestructible it seems.
on January 30, 2017
This is the fourth time I've purchased this product. I bought one 10 years ago for my nephews. I have one now for my baby. He's still too little for the train aspect but loves to take the blocks off and knock down the towers I build with them. They hold up well with hard use. The 10 year old one looks new except for a young artist attempt to transform it into the polar express with an ink pen. Somehow that just made it more dear. Just bought 2 more as shower gifts because we have enjoyed ours so much.
on August 16, 2015
My 2.5 year old daughter and I were at the library the other day, and they had this toy sitting out on one of the tables. My daughter walked over and sat and played with it for 20+ minutes until I had to drag her away because we were going to be late for lunch. So anyone with a 2-3 year old knows I immediately purchased this toy on amazon the minute we got home, and I was so excited when it arrived. She was THRILLED for maybe 3 minutes until she stood up, walked off, and has barely looked at it since then. I have tried playing with it and asking her to play with me. Nope. I have no idea what the problem is.... I'm still giving this a good rating because the toy is nice and sturdy, it's colorful, and it looked fun and engaging when she actually played with it. It's also reasonably priced for something I think would provide a fun and relatively educational/developmentally positive experience. I don't know if we missed the age window, or maybe she will pick it up in a month and love it. Who knows what is going on in those little minds?
on December 15, 2013
I purchased this darling little stacking train made of colored wooden blocks for my 2 year old grandson. He immediately began to shout "Choo-choo" and was impatient to get the plastic wrapping off. After getting it on the floor so he could push it around, his 8 year old brother got interested and talked him out of part of the "train." They both played with it intently for almost an hour while waiting for parents to pick them up. The toy stays at my house so I get to watch the activity. Since I am a retired teacher, I'm always interested in educational toys for youngsters. This one is perfect for 1 yr plus...I won't set a max limit on the age because children of all ages can play with this in different ways. The colored blocks teach color and shape; the holes fit large pegs on the wheeled "cars" which help develop eye-hand coordination; building the "train" is like putting a puzzle together requiring higher level thinking skills, including memory; the "cars" can be separated and used as three rolling vehicles; and the blocks can be used to stack alone or used interactively with other building blocks. I love wooden toys and so do my grandsons! This one is well-built with no small parts that come off to be swallowed or lost; there are no plastic parts to break off or crack; and this toy can be played with inside or outside. I also like the fact that there are no sirens, bells, flashing lights, or talking voices which distract from a child's imagination...and the best part...NO BATTERIES REQUIRED!! Simply made just like back in the good ol' days!
on June 3, 2016
The kids like it, so that's good. One major problem, though: the blue stick used to connect the engine to the middle train car came out. I pushed it back in, but it came out again. I've put it away till I can glue it in there. I expected the train to be sturdier than this, to last longer than 6 months before breaking.
UPDATE: I called the customer service people who commented on my review. The lady said the train has a warranty and there is a label on the bottom of the train. I looked, and there was a label with their phone number! She said they will mail me a new train and she'll tell the toy-making department about the peg coming out. Wow! I'm changing my stars to five because now I know that mine must have been a fluke, not the normal quality of Melissa & Doug, and their guys will figure out how to make sure it doesn't happen again.
on July 29, 2016
My one year old loved playing with this toy so much at our friend's house that I knew he needed his own. We bought this piece at Christmas and my son has loved it. I love all Melissa & Doug toys because they are durable, simple, and beautiful. There are some many learning possibilities packed into this wonderful toy. We can work on colors, shapes, fine motor skills with stacking, pushing, and connecting the train cars together. The pieces are the perfect size for toddler hands to work with. I like that there really is not a wrong way to put his back together, except for the engine. I like for the engine part to be put back together correctly before putting it up. We keep it on the top of the toy cabinet my husband built. It works as a very cute book end when my son is not playing with it. Another thing I love about Melissa & Doug toys is that they are beautiful display pieces. This toy makes a great gift for any toddler in your life. I can see this train set being around for a long time.
review image
on January 22, 2017
all three of my boys LOVED this. ages 6, 4, and 2. SO CUTE!
VINE VOICEon February 24, 2017
got for 3 year old grandson who is into trains big hit. well made. pieces good size for little hands.
on December 11, 2015
My 2-year old LOVES this train! The only complaint would be that there are two triangle pieces that fit together to make a cube, which he can't do at all, and takes me a min to get it straight. As with all M&D products, good construction. Wheels don't squeak or have any resistance. Would recommend to anyone!
on March 10, 2016
This toy train puzzle is awesome! The colors are bright and vibrant, it is sturdy and extremely well made. The pieces are smooth, so no worries about splinters or anything like that and the corners of the blocks are not sharp. My toddler loves this train and it was the perfect gift for his first Christmas. It looked great sitting in front of the tree!

I will admit that this toy is a pain in the butt for me sometimes because I have to rebuild it so often and there are a lot of pieces haha! But overall it is a great toy and it will grow wonderfully with my son! I'm hoping in a few years he'll build it for me.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.