Industrial Deals Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on May 23, 2016
We love this toy! My son's been playing with it since he was 12 months, and he's now 3 years old and still plays with it! When he was younger, he loved to name the animals and load/unload the truck of them; now, he loves just driving this truck along his pretend street :) The quality is profound, and I feel like this toy is as new as the day we opened it (despite the bite marks from occasionally being chewed on).

We love gifting it to friends as well, as we know it will be a toy that will last years!
on February 7, 2014
First of all, this is not truly a shape sorter. As other reviewers have mentioned, the animals really fit into ANY of the holes, so I don't feel like my son is really learning anything. If you only want this because you want to buy your child a shape sorter, this is NOT the one to buy. Secondly, he's 12 months old and gets his hand stuck in the holes fairly often, which never happens with our other, actual, shape sorter - this is a "must supervise" toy for the younger end of the spectrum (when I first bought it I was under the impression it was a 12 months and up toy, so perhaps this isn't an issue for the actual recommended 2+ set). He's never gotten truly hurt, but it does scare him and one time I did have to pull quite hard to get his little hand out. Thirdly, shortly after my son first started playing with it, I noticed that the wood veneer on the bottom of the truck was peeling off. I don't think he would have gotten hurt on this, but I pulled it the rest of the way off so that he wouldn't try to eat it. The paint on the figures also quickly began to chip (like the first DAY). Don't expect this toy to look brand new for long.

The GOOD - this is a darling toy and the truck body itself seems very sturdy. The figures are the perfect size for little hands. My son absolutely loves this toy and really plays with it often (especially the two drivers, he absolutely loves those for some reason). I have to give it at least three stars just for his love of it, I guess that's really the point. Unlike another reviewer, the wheels on our truck turn just fine. And honestly, I can't not support a wooden toy my child likes this much - it's practically impossible to find very many of them in the big box stores and I get so sick of seeing rows of flashing, loud, overwhelming plastic ones!
on February 19, 2015
Can't be a lazy parent with this one; you have to be imaginative and invite creative problem solving. We use this as a problem solving tool by scattering the animals throughout the room and helping our daughter figure out how to move blocks to climb and reach the animals, or look under and behind things. One by one, we collect the animals in the truck. Call it a "safari" for obvious reasons. At 17 mo, she seems to be able to remember search patterns and the process of putting the animals in the truck once they're "captured." But sometimes the driver loses control of the truck on the way back to the zoo because he was arguing with the lady about the ending of LOST and the truck topples over, releasing the animals and severely injuring the driver. 5 stars.
on December 5, 2017
we've had this toy for around 3 years now. It rarely gets played with. It was never used as a shape sorter because the animals will all fit through nearly every hole if you put them in sideways, so there's no challenge there. None of our kids have played with the animals much. They prefer little plastic animal figures to these block ones. It's a shame because these are so cute. They do push around the truck sometimes as a push toy. And it's big enough that one year olds sit on it and kind of ride it around. Still, I don't think I'd buy it again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 23, 2015
This is relatively inexpensive for wood and an important concept. For me, the problem with the toy is that the animals and people are only detailed on one side, i.e., one side of the elephant is detailed and the other is blank. If they were detailed on both sides, this would be a 5-star item. I'd pay more for the added quality. Truck is great.
VINE VOICEon February 11, 2015
My instructions for buying a toy were must be made in the USA from a company with sound enviromental practices. Everything I could find online kept pointing to Melissa & Doug toys (i was sold when I saw them for sale at my local whole foods). Bought these for a 1 year old birthday gift.
The toy is well made with nice graphics. Each animal will fit in any slot but the toy is still being enjoyed which is all that matters.
My son loves to place with this but it akong with other Mellissa and doug toys that I purchased for christmas seem to be veey poorly made. The animals and chipping and there was a large blemish on the front of the truck! He likes it and doesn't notice the blemish or chips but I'd like a nice toy when I spend money expecring something nice!
This was a cute toy, but barely lasted a few months before the wood on the door broke. It was just frustrating for my little guy to play with without the door -- the animals just kept falling out. This is not one of Melissa and Doug's sturdier products, in my experience.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 19, 2014
I adore this toy. I bought it for my son's first birthday because I wanted something that didn't make noise or flash lights and this seemed perfect. It is a huge hit. My son plays with it every day. He carries the animals around with him all the time. He loves to cram anything and everything inside the truck. He often pushes the truck around the house. I will be buying this as a gift for other people whenever possible. It's a great toy.
on February 27, 2014
I am a big fan of Melissa and Doug products and really like all of them. They are very educational and help develop motor skills, shapes, etc. While I really like the concept of this toy and the material is good, my biggest issue with it is that the animals do not stay put in their shapes. The shape sorter is loose and even without the truck moving, all animals fall off immediately as you put them. My 18 month is hardly engaged with this toy - he only plays with the animals and truck separately/
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse