Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 352 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 481 reviews
on September 28, 2015
We own a lot of Melissa & Doug toys, and I'm happy with most of them. But this Birthday Cake set isn't one of my favorites.

I guess my biggest gripe is that this is basically the same as the pizza set - which I like more - but doesn't take advantage of the "cake" theme very well.

For example, why not some sort of "frosting" that can be actually put onto the slices? (Like a thin piece of wood that sticks on before decorating.) Or, why not decorations beyond 2-D illustrations on round "tokens"? This makes sense for pizza - because the toppings are flat! - but not for cake, really. And, there is a round "topper" for the middle, but you can't cut it with the pieces. The candles are probably the nicest pieces.

Overall, an okay toy, but it could have been so much cooler...
on July 17, 2015
This product is just O.K. I purchased 2 of these for my twins. I liked the overall concept of this toys and that is why I purchased it but once it arrived and my kids who are both 5, played with them for a bit, I noticed that the paint (this is a wood item which I knew) started to scratch off. Also, one of the Velcro attachments on the bottom of one of the candles fell off the first hour. I do like that the pieces of cake are held together by Velcro, but the Velcro is so strong that my kids have to use both hands to pull the pieces apart. Also, if I would have made this toy, I would not have chosen jelly beans and strawberries etc for the cake decorations. I would have used a variety of sprinkles etc that make more sense to use on a cake. I probably would not advise anyone to purchase this....I would just advise to look at other options.
on March 7, 2015
My girls love to use their imaginations. I love toys that help them do so. The Melissa & Doug Birthday Party Cake definitely did not disappoint. They love sitting down at their play table while serving up cake and having a birthday party with their dolls. This set is great quality and looks brand new even though we've had it now for a few months. I love buying this as a gift when it's my kids' friend's birthday. It's always a big hit, and I get thank you's from the parents too. I'd highly recommend this product. It's well worth it. My girls are 3 and 6, so it's for a wide range in ages too!
on August 3, 2015
My nephew was soooo happy to get this cake! He wanted it after seeing in store and waited almost a full year to get it, but I did not forget that he wanted this. This cake can lead to lots of imaginative play and I appreciate the quality of the velcro dots. We practice cutting the cake with the server because the velcro dots are almost too secure! That is right out of the box though.

The candle size is somewhat odd for the velcro dots, and I felt that the candles from the Bake and Decorate cupcake set fits better on this cake, I wish they had been in this set.

The "happy birthday disk" covers the velcro spots on the end, so the child can chose to put one candle in the middle or with out the disk there can be more candles and the topping choices such as strawberries and jelly beans.

I love the sectioned box this comes in, I just wish it had a cover to help prevent lost peices!!

A quality item as I have come to expect from Melissa and Doug, this item does not dissapoint and I would buy again! 1 star lost because I want to see a cover to prevent lost peices and I feel improvements could be made with the candles.
on August 12, 2010
My daughter is on the cusp of her fourth birthday. She received this set when she turned two. I have been surprised at how much she has enjoyed this and how much use she got out of it. It went largely ignored the first year or so she had it, then one day she got it out and has played with it nearly every day sense. My daughter loves to decorate the cake; serve pieces to me, my husband, and her friends; she even seems perfectly enamored with putting it all back together for storage! I have seen a lot of imaginative play from her with this toy. Of course she puts on little birthday parties with it, but she has also come up with some really innovative uses for the various pieces. I would say that based on my daughter's experience, 3-4 is the perfect age for this set. I have given it as a gift and will continue to give it in the future. It's just that fun and adorable!
on February 10, 2015
I expected a lot more coming from a company such as Melissa and Doug. We have purchased tons of their toys and were very satisfied. this was abysmal at best. The pieces came with stickers scratched off and the candles broke in half within one day of play. The velcro is cheap and wears down quickly within a week or so. Unfortunately this was a gift for my daughter's birthday and it looks horrible. There are large gobs of glue left behind to pick off, and they hold the pieces together barely. Very sad mom and little girl here.
on April 7, 2017
This is my 2 year-old's current favorite toy. She loves playing "birthday party" with her dolls. This is a perfect set for imaginative play and a good addition to a play kitchen. I only wish it had a lid on top to keep the small items from spilling out. Very well-made item!
on February 9, 2015
This Melissa and Doug play Birthday cake set comes complete with (wooden) toppings, candles, slicer/server and plate is adorable. It is a puzzle as well as play food. I bought it for my granddaughter's birthday, she will be 2 and even though it says 3 and up, most two years could easily assemble this "cake" and use it properly. All pieces are thick and chunky so easy to handle with little hands and will last years since sturdy construction. The wooden box stores this set nicely when finished playing. The only thing I would change is give more variety to the kind of cake "toppings".....while they supply many, they are basically the same. Melissa and Doug also make a larger pink tier Birthday cake but has more pieces so this one is better for a two year old, where the larger pink one would suit a child perhaps 4 to 7. I also bought her the hardcover book, "The Duchess Bakes a Cake" to go along with this cake toy for even a better experience.
on December 26, 2015
VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!! Melissa & Doug missed the boat on this one! DOESN"T HAVE A LID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We already had a very similar set that is pizza themed and my kids love it, so when this showed up as a 1/2 price deal before Christmas, I figured the kids would like it, too. The HUGE issue, is that the pizza set has a clear plastic lid that slides on. NOT SO with the birthday cake set. Seriously! Melissa & Doug should know better! This set has a whole bunch of small pieces and NO LID to keep them contained. Sure, they come in a nice wooden box with sections to keep it organized.... but no lid makes this very difficult to store. If I would have known the set didn't have lid, I wouldn't have bought it. Pretty ridiculous.
on September 11, 2015
I am a big fan of this brand and would've loved to give this 5 stars. It gets 3 stars because in addition to the 3 year old it was for, I also have a one year old. A one year old that loves to eat things, even toy wooden things. Some of the pieces are too small to safely leave if you have an eater like mine. I had to take those pieces away for now, which takes away some of the fun. The manufacturer age is 3, which I get. I just wish they could have made the pieces a little bigger so this wasn't so much of an issue. We also have the pizza, which has the same problem. Other than that, it is good quality. Both kids love 'baking' the cake and singing happy birthday to my husband and I. So cute!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.