Consider these available items
Melissa & Doug Shut-the-Box
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- Solid-wood case with a see-through, latching lid houses, 9 flipping number tiles and two wooden dice.
- Children and adults alike will enjoy this game of strategy and chance.
- Play with a friend or enjoy alone.
- Strategy games teaches math and logic skills.
- Exceptional Quality and Value.
- WARNING: Choking Hazard - Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
More to consider from our brands
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who bought this product.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
From the manufacturer
Get Your Game On
This ancient, traditional game will appeal to everyone from young kids to adults! Whereas younger players may approach it as a counting game or game of chance, older players will enjoy it more for the strategy, since there are numerous ways to play. The intentionally rustic version of this classic seafaring game features a quality latching wooden box with a transparent, shatterproof top and nine flipping wooden number tiles. It includes two dice, a convenient storage pouch and a detailed instruction booklet as well. There are many variations as to how to play, but it never takes much time and may involve just one player or more. This game helps teach math, logic, and problem-solving skills. One thing that’s sure is that once you open this box, you will never want to “shut” it again!
|Melissa & Doug Smarty Pants Kindergarten Card Set||Melissa & Doug Smarty Pants 1st Grade Card Set||Melissa & Doug Flip to Win Travel Memory Game||Melissa & Doug Flip to Win Travel Hangman Game||Melissa & Doug Suspend Family Game|
|Connect, explore, and learn with this fun variety of games!||Young kids load up on new facts and fun with a deck of educational games and activities just for them!||This whimsical, educational set keeps kids giggling, engaged, and excited to learn, together or alone!||Kids will flip for this innovative twist on a classic game, and no loose pieces makes it perfect for travel!||This new, mess-free take on a classic word game will entertain kids for hours at home or on the road!||This award-winning teetering, tipping, and balancing game is a must-have for family game night!|
Young children will enjoy this as a counting game, while two to four older players will enjoy it for the strategy. Our heirloom quality version of this classic seafaring game has a latching wooden box that features a transparent, shatterproof top and flipping wooden number tiles. It includes two dice, a convenient storage pouch and a detailed instruction booklet.
From the Manufacturer
From classic wooden toys to crafts, pretend play, and games, Melissa & Doug products provide a launch pad to ignite imagination and a sense of wonder in all children so they can discover themselves, their passions, and their purpose.
Since the company’s founding more than 25 years ago, Melissa & Doug has consistently delivered innovative products that inspire open-ended thinking, encourage kids to see new possibilities, and offer Countless Ways to Play. It’s part of a bigger vision to Take Back Childhood. Because by giving children a true childhood with the space and freedom to explore their world, we give them a path to realizing their full potential!
Contains Small Parts,
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
This has a nice antique look. I also really enjoyed the simple play of this game. It will be a good game for my 4 year old.
I think this will definitely help my child in May areas. Taking turns, counting numbers on the dice and better number identification.
So far I am completely in love with this game.
The reason I got this off amazon and not in the store is because it was cheaper on Amazon.
Shipping was fast thanks to prime shipping.
Two thumbs up.
Game Play (Simplified) -
* Players roll two dice (at first) and flip down numbers that equal the sum of the total rolled
* Some rule variants allow the use of only one die after 7, 8, & 9 are flipped down
* Each player continues until he can no longer flip down a tile and then adds up the total of the remaining numbers
* The box passes to the next player and the winner is the one with the lowest score (unless someone "shuts the box" and automatically win by successfully flipping all of the numbers down)
This version includes -
* A Good Looking Game Box; this has an intentionally rustic appearance that is only marginally marred by the obviously plastic window, with the metal hinges and latch being a nice touch
* Dice Bag and Dice; the bag is nice and has a leather(et?) drawstring, but the dice are very rustic appearing and we all have some concern about how random they are (seems to roll 2s a lot) - we have replaced these with standard dice
* Instruction Booklet; contains basic and variant rules
This is a very fun party game and even younger players can quickly learn to play.
We actually discovered Shut The Box through a friend at Burning Man a couple years ago. While we waited out a dust white out in his 5th wheel, he brought out this game in a box that looked like it was a hundred years old. The rules were simple and we had a blast !! It's fun with a handful of people but my husband and I have played just the two of us a time or two.
This box was really nice, but I wish I'd spent a little more money and gone with a solid wood box (wooden lid, rather than plastic). Still, the die come in a cute pouch and the quality was very nice. It's a great game. I'd happily purchase this product as a gift - lots of office parties around the holidays! Perfect White Elephant gift!!
Top reviews from other countries
The wood on mine was assembled incorrectly so the tiles would not flip down on the left side, only the right.
Expected more for the price. Returned this product.