Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,550 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,738 reviews
on June 24, 2014
I am torn in reviewing this toy. Here's why: The toy is definitely well-made, will not come apart, will not break unless subjected to massive violence. It definitely builds motor skills, hand-eye-coordination, and even thinking skills--as deciding which colors should be up or down or evenly matched in height requires some intricate choice and physical application. So, the toy is a great toy!

But . . .

You are basically giving your child a miniature of Thor's hammer. Not a hollow plastic hammer, mind you. No, no. This is a toddler weapon the great god of thunder would approve of. Two solid wooden pieces held together very well. The head of the hammer is sculpted to allow attacks from many interesting angles. Great for the toy. Not so great if your little one might decide to go "a-viking" during a playgroup, family get-together, or school function.

Like the mighty Mjolner, this hammer throws well, flies fast and far, and can kill the mightiest of trolls. Or televisions. Or PC's. Or Grandma.

So . . . the only reason I take a star off is because of the deadly weapon that comes with this awesome toy. Maybe it should have been fastened by a cable to the toy, Melissa & Doug? It's not cool that parents have to do this thinking for you. But we love Grandma. Having our toddler turned Thor send her to the hospital is not our idea of fun.

If your child is meek and kind and dependably non-violent, go for it. GREAT TOY! If your little one may just be a conqueror of lands reincarnated into this tiny body, please beware the hammer!
2626 comments| 1,528 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2016
This is a great hammer toy with NO. SMALL. PIECES. TO. LOSE.

My 1.5 year old really loves it, and the game continually resets itself (when she hammers down one peg, the peg on the other side pops up - magic!).

Her only issue is that she would really like all the pegs to be "up" at the same time (oh, toddlers!), which doesn't really work very well since the pegs are a fairly loose fit with the holes in the board. Side note: there's a lip on the bottom of each peg so that it can't come unattached, so the small amount of slop in the fit is a fine thing that makes the toy easier to use. This is a really nice high quality Melissa & Doug toy.
on September 18, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised with this. I had looked at several other types of pounding bench in the stores, but ordered this on instead because it had better reviews. This one has pegs that cannot be removed, are nice and larged and spaced out. When you pound down one row of pegs, the other row pops up in its place so you never have to replace the pegs. Continuous fun. My only wish was that it was just a tiny bit easier to hammer down and that the hammer itself was rounded more.
on July 6, 2015
I LOVE IT, and more important, my baby loves it!!! As soon as he saw it, he started banging, hitting.. he was so excited and it's such a pleasure to see how much fun a little baby can have with it. He's 11 months and plays with it every single day now... even his older sister love playing with this smart and simple toy! Great price and so worth the money! Absolutely recommended for babies with high curiosity and that like to explore.
on January 23, 2017
A great classic wooden toy. Well made. Hammer down on one side and it lifts the other post up. Once you have them all down on one side just turn it around and start hammering away again. All the parts stay together except the wooden hammer which is designed for small hands.No more searching for pieces scatter over the floor and trying to hold the "nail" straight in the hole while hammering. Great hand to eye coordination. Keeps them amused for hours. Definitely, recommend. My 3-year old loves it.
on June 1, 2016
I am with other people on this, where they say they wish the hammer was somehow attached to it. Because I am consistently searching for what my toddler did with the hammer so she can play with this. But she does seem to enjoy playing with this, and she gets frustrated at times because she wants all the little men down at once, and as you can tell that isn't going to ever happen. But boy does she keep trying! lol :)
on June 17, 2016
My 1 year old loves to beat these down constantly. HOWEVER they are an OCD persons worst nightmare. They never all go down and it drives this mom nuts. You can get them to balance at the same height then here come mister smash and hit and bam they're all crooked again. But I will survive and occasional try not to look at this toy because it brings my child so much joy to beat it relentlessly. We have had no problems with paint chipping even though my one year old is dead set on chewing on everything (thank you teething). There are a few tiny dents from missed hits but that is to be expected out of soft wood and a strong one year old. The mallet also doubles great as a projecticle in the case of temper tantrums. So take heed of that.
on December 27, 2016
I would have given this toy 5 stars except there is one flaw that has knocked it down to a 3 star review. I am a nanny for a 12 month old and she really likes this toy. She's at the age where she's putting everything in her mouth, including the blue handle on the little hammer. After a few seconds, she had blue all over her mouth from the paint on the toy. I know it's child safe paint but still... very disappointed with that aspect. Otherwise, the toy is easy and fun to use.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2017
I think this toy is kind of limiting. I thought it would be nice because one pops up as you hammer another down, and my son wouldn't stay with a toy for very long. I thought that might help, but as soon as he figured out how it worked he was fine with it. There's not a lot of opportunity for independence for little ones who need to be busy constantly and want to be a part of adult life. I think for my child this was not the right toy. I think he probably would have spent more time with the other version where the pegs are removable and you have to flip the toy over to repeat the task.
on September 20, 2015
Big disappointment. The toy that we're received is either damaged, or has been stored somewhere for a couple of years. The protective wrap on the mallet itself is covered in glue - either that, or the wrap is so old that it has become an integral part of the toy.

Unless you want your baby to lick the glue, I would not recommend this.

That being said - I'm still hoping that we've just received a defective product.
review image