Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: Toy|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,482 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,660 reviews
on June 24, 2014
I am torn in reviewing this toy. Here's why: The toy is definitely well-made, will not come apart, will not break unless subjected to massive violence. It definitely builds motor skills, hand-eye-coordination, and even thinking skills--as deciding which colors should be up or down or evenly matched in height requires some intricate choice and physical application. So, the toy is a great toy!

But . . .

You are basically giving your child a miniature of Thor's hammer. Not a hollow plastic hammer, mind you. No, no. This is a toddler weapon the great god of thunder would approve of. Two solid wooden pieces held together very well. The head of the hammer is sculpted to allow attacks from many interesting angles. Great for the toy. Not so great if your little one might decide to go "a-viking" during a playgroup, family get-together, or school function.

Like the mighty Mjolner, this hammer throws well, flies fast and far, and can kill the mightiest of trolls. Or televisions. Or PC's. Or Grandma.

So . . . the only reason I take a star off is because of the deadly weapon that comes with this awesome toy. Maybe it should have been fastened by a cable to the toy, Melissa & Doug? It's not cool that parents have to do this thinking for you. But we love Grandma. Having our toddler turned Thor send her to the hospital is not our idea of fun.

If your child is meek and kind and dependably non-violent, go for it. GREAT TOY! If your little one may just be a conqueror of lands reincarnated into this tiny body, please beware the hammer!
4646 comments| 1,426 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2017
First let me start by saying I generally love all Melissa and Dog toys. They are simple, great quality products. I had been thinking about getting some sort of peg-pounding device for some time and figured approaching 2.5 years old was probably a good time - especially since my son is currently intent on "fixing" everything in the house (including the dogs and myself) by beating them with plastic wrenches and screwdrivers.

I've seen so many of these toys where the pegs go through too easily (so really what's the point) or are just about impossible to pound down (requiring the child to "practice" by hitting it harder and harder and harder - thereby developing a sense that full strength is needed for every endeavor and endangering the health and lives of all living and non-living things crossing their path). These go down pretty easily but the mechanism that keeps the pegs always attached to the bench at least creates a little resistance - making it "just right"

Now, when I decided to purchase the toy, I thought the idea of keeping the pegs attached to the bench was a fabulous idea. I am an older parent and the little one doesn't understand that I have to bend much farther to pick up the 43 billion toys that inevitably end up just under the couch, the radiators, the cabinets, etc. I was looking forward to keeping this particular device all together all of the time. And then we get the toy. When you pound down a peg on one side, the opposite peg pokes it's little face up. Once I actually experienced the toy - I panicked. There was no way he is going to enjoy this! How frustrating - You can never pound all of the pegs down! How is he going to take out his frustration? Will this very solid wooden toy be thrown across the room, shattering windows, cracking skulls? Am I dooming him to a life of suffering - creating a young Sisyphus? Depriving him of any hope for the future? Any chance for success? Only time will tell.

We've had it for a few days now and he absolutely loves it, he gets to pound down four colored smiley faced pegs and then, magically, there are four more different colors to pound. He calls it his "work tool bench" and as soon as he wakes up he asks to go downstairs and play with it.

I leave him to it and go in another room - It's too stressful for me ;)
on March 21, 2013
I love melissa and doug products but this one didnt live up to their name. It fell apart after we had it for about 2 weeks. I tried to put it back together but had no luck.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 12, 2016
My 20 mo old sits and plays with this thing often. He doesn't like the hammer too much, so instead he pushes the pieces down one by one with his hands. He laughs when the opposite side pieces pop up.
I'm glad the pieces don't come out of the little wood table, so no pieces to pick up at the end of the day. It looks sturdy enough to last even though the pieces are plastic. My son has dropped the table so many times and it still looks new. This is one of the toys I use to teach my son colors and counting. Since my son is happy with this toy, I am happy too.
on April 6, 2017
My 2 year old grandson absolutely loves this toy. I'm not really a fan of Melissa & Doug as a rule. I find most of their products over priced and not very interesting at all. This is the exception. The only problem I have found is that the 'wood' pounding surface is very soft. It is completely dinged up in just a few days of use. Notches made even. My grandson has hit the edges of the surface and the 'wood' splintered. I sanded it down but it could have been made with higher quality material for the price.
on August 2, 2016
This was a gift for my 16 month old nephew. He loves his tool bench and banging things, so I knew this would be right up his alley. The mallet has helped his fine motor skills and he liked that it was light enough for him to carry around. He did use the mallet to bang on other things but that wasn't an issue for his parents. He's almost 2 now and still goes back to this toy from time to time, so it's not something he's used at one age and hasn't touched again which is nice. It's great quality and has lasted through his rough stages!
on May 17, 2011
What I love about this toy is that the pegs aren't removable, so they can't get lost. The only piece your child could possibly lose would be the mallet. When you hammer a peg on one side down (for example, the yellow one), the peg on the opposite side of the bench moves up (in this case, the purple one). It's very cute and fun for my three year-old. She's delayed, so I would recommend it for a typically developing two year-old.
0Comment| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2016
fun, but for younger kids maybe... my 2.5 yr old likes it, but I think shes a little old for it. .. it is really cute, and I liked playing with it w her for a bit. I did it really really fast to hype it up for her, and then she got into it when she realized it was fun to do it really fast and really hard lol...
on March 27, 2017
I ordered this for my toddler who loves to bang on things..I wanted her to have a better "outlet" if you may. It is a great item, it just isn't as durable as I thought t would be--hence 4 stars. One of the hammer corner split on the first day..it's a small split that does not affect its function but could possibly splinter off in the future. The only thing my kid hit was the toy too..we still love it, just wish it were more durable
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2016
The colors are vibrant and eye catching and the mallet is easy for my child to grasp. This has provided entertainment for my child who is now sixteen moths for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time which is saying something because he usually loses interest in something in about five minutes. I like that even after having the product for about six months now that it hasn't chipped or broken in anyway and is completely durable. I can say that I am pleasently surprised because my child loves to chew on things and non of the paint has even come off. The pendulum motion of the little faces is nice because I love seeing him try to get all of them down and the opposite side will come up he has even tried holding both of them down at the same time to no avail. He does use his hands more often than the mallet but he does try to use it on occasion.