Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on June 24, 2014
I am torn in reviewing this toy. Here's why: The toy is definitely well-made, will not come apart, will not break unless subjected to massive violence. It definitely builds motor skills, hand-eye-coordination, and even thinking skills--as deciding which colors should be up or down or evenly matched in height requires some intricate choice and physical application. So, the toy is a great toy!

But . . .

You are basically giving your child a miniature of Thor's hammer. Not a hollow plastic hammer, mind you. No, no. This is a toddler weapon the great god of thunder would approve of. Two solid wooden pieces held together very well. The head of the hammer is sculpted to allow attacks from many interesting angles. Great for the toy. Not so great if your little one might decide to go "a-viking" during a playgroup, family get-together, or school function.

Like the mighty Mjolner, this hammer throws well, flies fast and far, and can kill the mightiest of trolls. Or televisions. Or PC's. Or Grandma.

So . . . the only reason I take a star off is because of the deadly weapon that comes with this awesome toy. Maybe it should have been fastened by a cable to the toy, Melissa & Doug? It's not cool that parents have to do this thinking for you. But we love Grandma. Having our toddler turned Thor send her to the hospital is not our idea of fun.

If your child is meek and kind and dependably non-violent, go for it. GREAT TOY! If your little one may just be a conqueror of lands reincarnated into this tiny body, please beware the hammer!
2929 comments| 1,680 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 14, 2014
I was excited to buy this for my 9 month old boy, should have realised something was wrong when I saw fine sawdust in the package. Was beyond shocked when I opened it up and saw holes drilled all over by wood-borers/wood-worms or whatever creepy-crawlies. And they were alive! Peeping out of the holes now and then to take in their new neighbourhood. Trashed them almost immediately but still can't get over it, and to think my boy loves chomping on almost anything he gets his hand on.

I'm usually empathetic towards the typical difficulties companies have putting out products in the marketplace and getting everything right, competing isn't easy. But this is unacceptable and should never have happened. Just poor, poor, quality controls.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
44 comments| 479 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 9, 2018
Bought this toy for my 2 year old nephew. It is not what I expected it to be. It looks like & has the same basic concept of the classic toy I use to play with when I was a child. It is good wood but it has one terrible flaw. The pegs don't fit snugly into the board! Which is the whole point of this item! It can be pushed down with a finger without any effort at all (by a child) & it is so loose that it does not stay the level you hit it at. Also, now that i think of it, having the pieces fall out was also half the fun of the toy.

A bit disappointing but i guess it is still fun for coordination skills & energy release.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2018
i thought some of these were a bit hard to push down especially for little one. beware of the hammer. ive had to hide ours. my son finds more joy in hitting everything around the house with it than the actual toy. that thought had not occurred to me when i bought it. now he uses a rubber toy Toysmith Flashing Dino Wands as his hammer. it lights up when he hits (which he loves) and the noise level is reduced and if he moves on to knocking other items around I'm not worried cause the rubber heads are harmless.
on December 26, 2017
I bought this toy as a gift for my 18-month-old. I chose this versus the traditional pounding bench because in this bench the pegs don’t come out of the bench thus getting lost and scattered about the house. My only complaint with this toy and one I knew would probably be an issue when I bought it is that the hammer is not attached to the toy so it can be misplaced and can also be used to pound everything from the bench to a siblings head to the family pet. I wish the company had attached the hammer to the toy by a small piece of rope. My husband says he might drill a hole in the handle of the hammer so we can tie it to the bench.
on January 12, 2018
This is an adorable toy and my 8 month old loves to play with the hammer and watch me hit the pegs. She doesn’t quite have the skills or strength herself but she tries. The toy provides a lot of entertainment and I know she’ll enjoy it for years to come. I even enjoying hitting the pegs when we are playing with her toys.

I did get it personalized using the cursive script and it is pretty small. Also the paint is coming off the orange peg already and it hasn’t endured that much abuse or play. Maybe a stain would have been better than paint.

However overall it’s a great toy and I would buy again.
review image
on April 28, 2016
Thought my one year old son would really enjoy this but it isn't nearly as satisfying to hammer on as a traditional "tap and turn" kind. The box I put it in however has been played with for months. I can't tell you how this would hold up under use because its collecting dust in the corner.
on December 27, 2017
I bought this for my two and a half year old son. He does like it but I wish it took more effort to push the pegs down. His Occupational Therapist has an older version that has rubber pegs & require him to push a lot harder, which is our goal. Overall though, the product is good quality & arrived on time. I would recommend this product.
on January 7, 2018
Forgive my terrible pun. I bought one each of these for my little nephews, both around a year old, for Christmas. Neither could stop playing with them to open other gifts. Thanks for making me the wise aunt who picked the perfect toy!

Very well made and obviously fun!
on December 30, 2016
Great pound toy although because he had been playing with a model that was made 30+ years ago where you pound balls and they roll all over your house and you have to find them, he had to figure out that the stick figures don't come out and he doesn't have to look for them. The hammer could have been a little wider.