Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,513 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,696 reviews
on June 24, 2014
I am torn in reviewing this toy. Here's why: The toy is definitely well-made, will not come apart, will not break unless subjected to massive violence. It definitely builds motor skills, hand-eye-coordination, and even thinking skills--as deciding which colors should be up or down or evenly matched in height requires some intricate choice and physical application. So, the toy is a great toy!

But . . .

You are basically giving your child a miniature of Thor's hammer. Not a hollow plastic hammer, mind you. No, no. This is a toddler weapon the great god of thunder would approve of. Two solid wooden pieces held together very well. The head of the hammer is sculpted to allow attacks from many interesting angles. Great for the toy. Not so great if your little one might decide to go "a-viking" during a playgroup, family get-together, or school function.

Like the mighty Mjolner, this hammer throws well, flies fast and far, and can kill the mightiest of trolls. Or televisions. Or PC's. Or Grandma.

So . . . the only reason I take a star off is because of the deadly weapon that comes with this awesome toy. Maybe it should have been fastened by a cable to the toy, Melissa & Doug? It's not cool that parents have to do this thinking for you. But we love Grandma. Having our toddler turned Thor send her to the hospital is not our idea of fun.

If your child is meek and kind and dependably non-violent, go for it. GREAT TOY! If your little one may just be a conqueror of lands reincarnated into this tiny body, please beware the hammer!
2626 comments| 1,481 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2017
First let me start by saying I generally love all Melissa and Dog toys. They are simple, great quality products. I had been thinking about getting some sort of peg-pounding device for some time and figured approaching 2.5 years old was probably a good time - especially since my son is currently intent on "fixing" everything in the house (including the dogs and myself) by beating them with plastic wrenches and screwdrivers.

I've seen so many of these toys where the pegs go through too easily (so really what's the point) or are just about impossible to pound down (requiring the child to "practice" by hitting it harder and harder and harder - thereby developing a sense that full strength is needed for every endeavor and endangering the health and lives of all living and non-living things crossing their path). These go down pretty easily but the mechanism that keeps the pegs always attached to the bench at least creates a little resistance - making it "just right"

Now, when I decided to purchase the toy, I thought the idea of keeping the pegs attached to the bench was a fabulous idea. I am an older parent and the little one doesn't understand that I have to bend much farther to pick up the 43 billion toys that inevitably end up just under the couch, the radiators, the cabinets, etc. I was looking forward to keeping this particular device all together all of the time. And then we get the toy. When you pound down a peg on one side, the opposite peg pokes it's little face up. Once I actually experienced the toy - I panicked. There was no way he is going to enjoy this! How frustrating - You can never pound all of the pegs down! How is he going to take out his frustration? Will this very solid wooden toy be thrown across the room, shattering windows, cracking skulls? Am I dooming him to a life of suffering - creating a young Sisyphus? Depriving him of any hope for the future? Any chance for success? Only time will tell.

We've had it for a few days now and he absolutely loves it, he gets to pound down four colored smiley faced pegs and then, magically, there are four more different colors to pound. He calls it his "work tool bench" and as soon as he wakes up he asks to go downstairs and play with it.

I leave him to it and go in another room - It's too stressful for me ;)
on March 21, 2013
I love melissa and doug products but this one didnt live up to their name. It fell apart after we had it for about 2 weeks. I tried to put it back together but had no luck.
My 20 mo old sits and plays with this thing often. He doesn't like the hammer too much, so instead he pushes the pieces down one by one with his hands. He laughs when the opposite side pieces pop up.
I'm glad the pieces don't come out of the little wood table, so no pieces to pick up at the end of the day. It looks sturdy enough to last even though the pieces are plastic. My son has dropped the table so many times and it still looks new. This is one of the toys I use to teach my son colors and counting. Since my son is happy with this toy, I am happy too.
on April 6, 2017
My 2 year old grandson absolutely loves this toy. I'm not really a fan of Melissa & Doug as a rule. I find most of their products over priced and not very interesting at all. This is the exception. The only problem I have found is that the 'wood' pounding surface is very soft. It is completely dinged up in just a few days of use. Notches made even. My grandson has hit the edges of the surface and the 'wood' splintered. I sanded it down but it could have been made with higher quality material for the price.
on August 2, 2016
This was a gift for my 16 month old nephew. He loves his tool bench and banging things, so I knew this would be right up his alley. The mallet has helped his fine motor skills and he liked that it was light enough for him to carry around. He did use the mallet to bang on other things but that wasn't an issue for his parents. He's almost 2 now and still goes back to this toy from time to time, so it's not something he's used at one age and hasn't touched again which is nice. It's great quality and has lasted through his rough stages!
on January 1, 2016
This pounding bench has been a welcome addition to our sons sensory toys.
As with all M&D toys, this is a great, quality toy. The wood is smooth with no worries of splintering. The painted pegs are vibrantly painted with cute little smily faces.
Perfect choice for those little ones who like this type of pounding toy, likes to make noise or loves the cause and effect of the push=pop reaction.
review image
on December 21, 2016
I originally gave this 5 stars within a month of gifting this to our son for Christmas. A year later it is barely holding up (despite lack of play!) and the colored pegs don't stay in the up position. Key word here is despite the lack of our son playing with this toy, it has deteriorated. I would definitely not purchase this item again, nor would I recommend it to others with children 9months and up.

PS-Yes, the wooden hammer that came with the toy is a pretty solid weapon when wielded by the hands of a 1 or 2 year old! It has been used to smash several things (& people!) thanks to our little dude's lightning fast reflexes. I should have never bought this toy.
on April 11, 2016
The colors are vibrant and eye catching and the mallet is easy for my child to grasp. This has provided entertainment for my child who is now sixteen moths for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time which is saying something because he usually loses interest in something in about five minutes. I like that even after having the product for about six months now that it hasn't chipped or broken in anyway and is completely durable. I can say that I am pleasently surprised because my child loves to chew on things and non of the paint has even come off. The pendulum motion of the little faces is nice because I love seeing him try to get all of them down and the opposite side will come up he has even tried holding both of them down at the same time to no avail. He does use his hands more often than the mallet but he does try to use it on occasion.
on January 22, 2016
The name "pounding" bench misled me. I would say "tapping" bench since it takes only a touch to drive these pegs home. The hammer is superfluous, a finger, even a child's finger, is enough to push the peg all the way down. No pounding involved. I was expecting to get a true pounder of yore, where a wood shape, say a cylinder, fit through the bench with serious friction, requiring serious, satisfying pounding by your young Bam Bam, if you recall the Flintsones. Good memories of my own pounding so long ago! But what I received was no more than a panel with 8 push buttons. Boring, Boring, Boring and quickly discarded by our own young pounder.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.