Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,158 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,237 reviews
on September 27, 2014
I ordered two sets of this package. Over half of the chalk arrived broken. The rest broke the first day of use. Chalk dust was everywhere- on the packaging and literally in piles under the chalkboard. Very disappointed with this product- particularly since it is specifically advertised as "dustless" and "break resistant". I normally love Melissa & Doug products, but I highly recommend NOT purchasing this item.
on February 24, 2015
We purchased our daughter the Melissa and Doug Easel set for Chirstmas in 2014, and to go along with it, we purchased some additional accessories as well. Unfortunately, this eraser falls a little bit short. We received the one that came with the easel and decided to dedicate that solely to the white board side. Then we bought this additional one to dedicate it to the chalk side. We figured that this would help with the cleanup. It didn't, really.

Although the eraser kind of works, it still leaves behind a lot of residue on both sides. I understand that it is a chalkboard eraser, so I can understand why it is not totally functional on the whiteboard, but it does a poor job on the chalk side as well. I typically still have to get a damp cloth to wipe the chalkboard off after use. Overall, it is an OK product.
on February 5, 2015
After using this multiple times I would say look for a better quality product. When I opened the boxes of chalk most every piece was in pieces.
It's been eons since I've used chalk but, my memory says chalk used to write smoothly and flow nicely along the board.
This chalk does not meet that smooth flow standard but if it's just for tots it's good enough.
The eraser is not old school quality either. That is also made for children's use only.
I found it very difficult to actually find chalk and chalkboards these days so this was a get it while I can item. I wouldn't waste my money for adult use in college projects.
on March 6, 2015
This eraser is junk. It doesn't do any erasing whatsoever. It just smears the chalk around and you can still see the original writing. I'm really shocked that the Melissa & Doug brand would allow its name on this.
on January 21, 2014
This chalk is nearly dustless and I have no problem letting my 3 year old play with it in the house on her chalk board. A few pieces have broken as she plays with it, but that is to be expected with 3 year olds and chalk! I was pleasantly surprised at the very little amount of dust and the fact that not all have broken yet! Great product.
on March 13, 2017
Even though the packaging seemed good, when I opened the box of chalk, they were broken into little pieces. Not really the end of the world, but I hate buying something new that comes broken. Still usable, so I can't complain too much
on February 19, 2015
Eraser was in good condition upon arrival, but ALL of the chalk was broken except for a few of the white pieces. Very disappointed.
review image review image
on December 27, 2014
I bought this chalk/eraser combo for my wife for Christmas to go with a chalkboard I made her. I selected this product based on the customer reviews and their reputation. I was incredibly disappointed to see that when my wife opened this gift all but one of the pieces of chalk were broken into many little, unusable pieces. The eraser is also of poor quality and was separating from the wooden handle before its first use. This product went directly from the packaging to wrapping paper and was not dropped or mishandled by me prior to my wife receiving it. I would not order this product again.
on February 29, 2012
Bought this product to use on a chalk board me my children created in the kitchen using chalk board paint. The chalk is thick enough for my kids to use without breaking the pieces and the eraser fits perfectly in the frame we put around our chalk board area.
on March 19, 2016
I'm not really sure what they mean by "break resistant" (as listed in the description), but I'm assuming that the non-break resistant chalk just completely disintegrates into a chalky powder whenever it touches a black-board, because this chalk came completely busted into quarters of their actual lengths and had quite a lot of fine powdery residue in-between. Not even one unbroken piece survived the transit to my house. Could it have been an extremely exciting ride by postal vehicle? An over-enthusiastic delivery person? Maybe. But, I think not. Even when writing on my blackboard, this chalk chips out, leaving sharp, uneven edges. My daughter accidentally dropped a piece of chalk (at four years old, she is about 3 feet tall - so falling from the bend of her elbow makes the drop about 2 feet) onto my wooden floor, and this baby shattered like a mini-hand grenade. Which she definitely enjoyed (thus the 1 star - otherwise, it would be zero). From this event, she began to drop every other remaining quarter piece of colored chalk I had placed out by the blackboard. Beautiful. And when I say beautiful, I mean, from all the multi-colored powdered chalk bits exploded on my floor, it was quite amazing how easily the chalk exploded apart.
Are all chalks like this? Am I being too judgemental? Maybe the people in China who manufactured this stuff didn't really know what "break resistant" means?
Anyway, - it IS made in China. It IS NOT break-resistant (not the set I received anyway), and quite honestly, even though Melissa & Doug is a trusted brand name (should I say "was?"), I'm not sure I can trust the quality control of this item or even the chalk itself. Is the chalk safe for children? Or the coloring used in the manufacturing of this chalk safe? Just be sure that your kids wash their hands after every use... maybe wear an N95 mask for the fine dusty particles that puff into their lungs as they get close to that blackboard?
As for the colors, they seem "ok" - I wouldn't say they are "vibrant." Brown and orange seem a little difficult for me to differentiate (last I checked, I wasn't color-blind).