Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 222 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 260 reviews
on October 22, 2016
This is a wonderful gift for little girls! My daughter got hers at 5yrs old as a birthday gift, and plays with it all the time (still) and she's 7yrs old now. I expect she'll continue to use it for the next couple of years. It's such a great girlie-girl gift that we ordered 3 for her friend's birthdays this fall. It's been a huge hit with friends so far! I highly recommend this toy for birthday gifts and hours of independent playtime with easy clean up and storage.
on January 6, 2016
I bought this for my daughter for Christmas. It reminded me of the fashion plates I had as a kid! She loves it! In fact all 3 of my girls enjoy it & have been playing with it & creating with it! It comes with colored pencils & I love that there is a drawer for all of the "plates". Very fun for any child!!
on November 14, 2016
This is clearly not the same product as what we had in our yesteryears. The color pencils that came along with the set are extremely poor quality at best--right out of the box, 2 of the 4 pencils had a broken tip--sure, no big deal, it happens. I've got a sharpener and used it on the first one. Every time I thought I had a successful sharpening, the tip broke off. The pencil is approximately less than half its original size now. The same goes for the other pencil that came with a broken tip. The quality of the pencils that came with this set is obviously (for some reason) much cheaper and weaker than the ones you can pick up from the local dollar store. Speaking of the quality of the pencils, the color (as stated by some previous reviews) are not very vibrant and will require a lot of pressure if you want to see some color.

There are several plates where it took several attempts to get the detailing of the pattern to transfer to the paper properly due to the height of the raised imprints not being even. I found that raised areas closer to the frame were more difficult to get a good transfer on since there wasn't much spacing between the frame and the raised areas that were on the edge to run the black crayon on easily.

The positive: The case is compact and allows you to store most of the necessary pieces for travel with the exception of storage for the paper. If you expand the plate collection, more than likely you will not be able to store them all within this same set. They cleverly made the pull out "lockable" whereas you cannot pull out the tray easily unless if you unlock/lift the plate holder first. Keep this in mind, otherwise if you're struggling to pull out the tray, you can potentially break the plate holder.
on March 17, 2017
I bought this for myself for Christmas this year and I have to say, I was delighted when I opened up that package under the tree! (I'm not denying the dork here.) My sister had something like this when we were growing up and she never let me touch it. So I got one of my own. I don't use it, because I'm a grown adult (whom does NOT harbor immature, covetous feelings towards her sister's toys, years after the fact.) My students at work use it though and they love it. So, my lack of maturity has been their gain! See, it all balances out in the end, people.
Ugh, Jon Steinbeck wrote about people like me...I should call my sister.
on January 23, 2017
I wanted my daughter to have the same fashion plates I had as a kid. They're just as I remember.
on July 20, 2015
Great gift item for young girls.
on June 21, 2015
I researched this product and ultimeatly bought this for my daughter for Christmas. I wish that I would have bought the other one. It's hard to get a piece of paper in there to work with as many other reviewers have noted. Don't buy this toy.
on June 9, 2016
Oh this is the best, I use to have : Fashion Plates" as a kid if anyone remembers that. You can switch around all the different heads and tops along with different bottoms and make a ton of different outfits. Then you can color them in, its great!
I bought it for my niece, she comes to stay for a few weeks in the summer so I know this will keep her busy for quite some time and I am glad she gets to experience something I use to play with as a child. The set looks almost exactly the same as the Fashion Plates did. I am so glad I found this.
I received this at a discounted fee in exchange for my honest review of the product
on November 18, 2012
My daughter had played with the fashion plates from the 80s and loved them. So I purchased this new set for her. Her first results were completely blurry and I told her she needed to keep the paper still while she rubbed. Time after time, it came out the same - horrible. So the adults stepped in and didn't get any better results. 1) the design doesn't allow you to keep the paper still and 2) even if you did, the plates are so shallow and cheap that your drawings will be blurry messes. Too bad to even color in. Where is the fun in this?

Melissa & Doug was a quality brand, so I thought. I will think twice before buying another of their products.

Attention companies - make products better and charge a little more!
on September 3, 2016
My little granddaughters (cousins who are both age 5) sure loved this set! I admit I bought it initially because I always wanted something similar when I was a little girl, and I had enjoyed creating fashion drawings at a friends' house. I can always count on Melissa & Doug toys to be good quality, and this did not disappoint. These girls cranked out copious amounts of colored pictures to take home, all neatly colored with the included pencils. I like the storage drawer--it can't be pulled out when the frame is shut over a piece of paper, which is nice for traveling.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.