Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 15, 2016
My kids LOVE this set! They're almost 3 and 5 and are big into the play kitchen set right now, they love pretending to cook and make meals for each other. I am a big DIY-er and am on Pinterest more than I'd like to admit. I had an entire board of felt food ideas and things that I wanted to make for their play kitchen and sat down one day to write down the supplies I needed to buy. Felt, batting, paint, fabric stiffener, thread, needles, buttons, beads, etc. Let me tell you what, it adds up quickly. And then you have to actually have time to go to the store, find all of that, and then make them? With three kids, that just wasn't happening. So thank God for Melissa and Doug! This set has a lot of different pieces and they're very detailed. The quality is excellent, too. They're stiff and heavyweight and are holding up very well so far.
6 people found this helpful
on November 28, 2016
I didn't know what to think about these when I first opened them! Look like no fun to me but I am not a toddler! I bought them for my 2 year old girl. She will play with it for a while, singing and stacking each piece. My son is 6 and he enjoys playing with it too. The box has suggestions on how to play with it to teach the food groups and etc. To your child. Its hard to tell what some of the items are by first glance so by son had fun analyzing each piece and making me sandwiches.

Both my 2 yr old girl and 6 yr old son enjoy playing with this.
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I wasn't so sure about this one because it seemed so simple but my daughter absolutely loves it. Out of everything she got for Christmas, this inexpensive felt sandwich set is the thing she uses most often. She plays with this all the time. She loves her play kitchen and this set has become an integral part of her chef routine. We could have saved ourselves a bunch of $$ and bought more stuff like this.

You get a lot more with this set than it would appear in the picture. Basically it consists of various colored pieces of felt cut into shapes that look like food. You get a few different kinds of bread, bacon, onion, cucumbers, Swiss cheese, an egg, lettuce, some splats meant to be condiments and some other oval cut outs that look like Bologna or provolone cheese or whatever you want them to be :)

All in all she much prefers this felt set to the plastic play food that came with her kitchen. This is much more imaginative as she can combine the different ingredients in any way she chooses.
4 people found this helpful
Top Contributor: Makeupon January 30, 2017
I've sewn felt foods for play... breads, cupcakes, pizza, salads, etc... just for fun. but I decided to order some professionally made "better" ones by Melissa and Doug. They look great in the pics and it's a ton of work to make the breads or anything stuffed. I had never seen them in person but when I opened them I was shocked by how low the quality was! I'm not a seamstress and know very little, actually. I do mostly home decor and hems, (STRAIGHT seams mostly) so my felt foods take forever and are far from perfect but I was shocked that mine were so much better. I would have sent them back but they were opened while I was at work and a few items are now missing... but hey, for a little over 10 bucks it's about right.
on December 17, 2016
I just bought this as a present for my niece, but my kids have had their own set for the past three years. They have loved to play "sandwich shop" with it, where they ask me what I'd like to order, and then they make the sandwich. The set has a lot of different ingredients, which keeps it interesting. There is a list of contents on the outside of the box that can work as a menu, so hang on to that. My seven year old has outgrown this, but my five year old and two year old still love it. I have seen some negative comments on the quality, which I am surprised about. We've had this for three years, and it's been just fine. The pieces are soft, so they probably wouldn't hold up well to a dog chewing them or to scissors, but they are great for everyday use.
on December 29, 2016
Our daughter owned this set as a young child and enjoyed it so much that we now buy these for nieces and nephews. This set allows for some great pretend play. The pieces are beautifully made and sturdy. Here's a hint... cut out the block of paper with the itemized pictures from the back, glue to a sturdy cardboard, laminate it, and then use dry erase markers for a reusable menu. This makes it so much more fun for the child's to take orders! But we also used this without the menu to help our daughter learn to listen carefully as we gave sandwich orders of increasing difficulty. There are many possibilities for fun and learning with this set.
on December 31, 2015
I bought this for my 5 and 3 year olds, and my 17 month old loves it just as much as they do. My only complaint, and it is minor, is that there are only one of each mustard, ketchup, and mayo (one of each meat, but since there is plenty to choose from it's okay), and two of all veggies. As soon as we opened it, I made both my 5 and 3 year old a sandwich. They told me what they wanted, but were sad that they both couldn't have mustard (and neither wanted ketchup on their sandwich -eww lol). Like I said, very minor complaint, but just an FYI. But, it would seriously be easy enough to buy your own good quality/heavy felt and make your own condiments.
2 people found this helpful
on December 13, 2016
This set is so cute, it will make a perfect addition to my kiddos play kitchen. My household is a fan most of Melissa & Doug toys and there's no exception with this one. I don't think I could have bought the different colored felt and fabric paint and made one for this price either, a great buy in my book! I've seen the wood and plastic sandwich kits and it seems really awkward for little hands to hold. Too bulky, they slip around... These are just the right size and "stick" together. Makes me want to buy more of the felt food!
on February 3, 2012
This is a great toy! It comes with four different types of "bread;" wheat, white, hoagie and pita. The fillings include tomatoes, lettuce, bacon, jelly, fried egg, peanut butter, jelly, onions, etc... tons of food! The details on the food slices are well thought-out. The bacon is streaky, the tomatoes have sections and seeds, the cucumbers are 2-toned with seeds. I bought this for my son's 2nd birthday- he's still a little too young to get the concept, but my 5 year old son has been playing with it non-stop and has made me so many different sandwiches. It's an engaging toy and will keep your kids busy and happy for hours! It's also a good toy for getting your kids to play together nicely. I love this!
30 people found this helpful
on October 18, 2012
The beginning of imaginative play in our house with our 18 month old = mimicking mommy in the kitchen. Sandwich making helps her with sequencing (yes, I know it's a little early for that) and stacking. She can also make different sandwiches with mommy during "cooking" time. I like that this is felt -- I think it's a little early for her to have the wooden sets -- and although it says "surface wash", I've washed M & D felt toys in the washer & dryer before, and they've come out undamaged. There are no bells and whistles with this set, it's just pieces of felt made to look like various breads, sandwich fillings, and condiment splatters, but it's the simplicity that attracts my little one. She likes to run around with the bread, and I've seen the pb & J "splatters" being "fed" to her Elmo doll and her lovey dog.
7 people found this helpful