Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on January 4, 2012
I'm going to start by saying I was mad as h*ll when he didn't win AI! What in the heck was America listening to that I missed. But now..now, I am SO GLAD that he didn't win AI! I would hate to see that amazing voice and talent sucked up by the 'pump it out and push it out' conveyor belt of music that AI has become. They haven't been about talent in years, just what would be popular with the tween set.
This CD ROCKS! JAMES ROCKS! His voice is amazing (as usual) the songs are amazing! I haven't stopped listening to it since receiving it as a christmas gift to myself (it killed me not to 'pre-listen' to my gift)
James' voice is like an old friend and new one at the same time. The songs feel like you have heard them before, but not in that 'omg, not that junk again' Its a good thing, a wonderful thing. You want to keep listening to this again and again. I can't even begin to pick a favorite, but I can listen to 'Right Behind You' over and over again (sorry the USMC didn't grab that song...hey, I'm a Marine Mom...but kudos to the Army!)
I can't wait for his next CD!
on December 5, 2011
For all that James only contributes to a couple of the songs on this CD, it's very much James Durbin. NOT a bunch of screaming over guitar licks. His signature scream is there, but it's all about the music. I got this as a pre-order the same day I got Daughtry's new release as a pre-order. I have to say, I like Memories of a Beautiful Disaster better than Daughtry's. I LOVE Chris Daughtry and his band is spectacular, but this CD grabs me more each time I listen to it. Good guitar riffs, great vocals, not a cookie cutter rock album. Wouldn't call it metal, but it has some very heavy rock. The songs are great and impossible to not catch yourself singing along to. I think he did an incredible job with the vocals on this and predict that this will be a debut similar to Daughtry's, in that he will win you over and go on to prove he's got real talent, not just a flash in the pan.
on May 25, 2012
Perhaps it was the competitive context and all-hit repertoire of this artist's TV career that best revealed the magnitude of his talent. That is not to say that this album of original material is not a total pleasure from start to finish. It contains exciting songs with memorable hooks and excellent performances by the star. His selection of great classic material on American Idol ensured his preeminence during the season. And, despite the final vote, most believe he was the real winner of the competition. One hopes he eventually does an album of covers, because, in the end, his greatest skill is as a vocalist with an amazing emotional range. It would be a shame not to hear him reinterpret great rock music of the past.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 20, 2012
THE CD IS REALLY GOOD.. NO IT IS NOT HEAVY METAL. IT DOES HAVE METAL VIBES ON SOME SONGS. I KNOW BETTER THAN ANYONE JAMES WAS INTO GIVE METAL A CHANCE!!! BEING REAL I HAVE NOT PURCHASED A CD IN A LONG TIME THAT I ACTUALLY LIKED ALL THE SONGS. WHICH I AM SURE MOST WILL AGREE. IF YOU LIKE HALF THE SONGS ON A CD YOU ARE LUCKY.. EVERY SONG ON HIS CD IS GOOD.. I HAVE SEEN HIM IN CONCERT 2X'S HE HAS MAJOR STAGE PRESENCE.. IF YOU LIKE JAMES BUY THE CD OR DOWNLOAD ON ITUNES WITH BONUS TRACKS WHICH ARE REALLY GOOD.
HE NEEDS EVERYONES SUPPORT...BUT IN ALL FAIRNESS IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR HEADBANGING METAL PROBABLY NOT FOR YOU.. I ENJOY ALL HIS VOCAL RANGES SO THIS IS A GREAT CD FOR ME...
on June 16, 2014
I've purchased albums before where I've ended up only liking a couple of the songs; but I am happy to say that the songs on this album are all AWESOME. One obvious reason is that James Durbin has an extraordinary voice that really speaks to me, and another reason is that this young man's songs are filled with passion. I love screaming my lungs out with "Screaming" and crying my eyes out with "May."
on December 31, 2011
I have to say I love James Durbin - his look, his sound and his charisma. What I don't like is that they bridled him. The music was good - some fantastic guitar licks in there, too - but it did NOT meet my expectations because it sounded like someone held him back. I'm betting he sounds 100 times better live. Would I buy this again? Yes. Would I recommend people buy it? I'd preview the songs first and pick out the ones you like. :)
on December 26, 2011
I won't do a song by song review, they are all awesome. James is a very talented singer. He can sing any style music and make it rock. Style wise the record jumps around a bit, but that is o.k. because James pulls it off. I love this disc! I predict the next one will even be better as James puts more of himself into it. If you love good quality rock music, with some twists, you will love this. The ballad May will make you tear up everytime. James pours his heart into every song. Don't hesitate, BUY IT! Take care and rock on!
on January 23, 2012
I just fell in love with this young man when he was a participant on American Idols. I was devastated when he was voted off, and was very excited when he announced that he was recording a CD. I bought the CD as soon as I was able, and I can assure you, I was not disappointed at all. The genre of the music is what I would term 'soft rock' with a combination of driving rock and ballads. His voice is fabulous, and his range amazing, and this talent is clearly showcased in the selection of original music on the CD. I particularly enjoy the track 'Love me Bad'. I can heartily recommend this CD for anyone looking a good solid rock album with all that goes with that.
on February 9, 2012
I really like James Durbin, been a fan since his first audition on Idol. All throughout idol he kept touting how much he is heavy metal, James your no where close. Are you good? Yes. Are you hard rock? Yes. Are you heavy metal? Not by a long shot. With all that being said, I still like this album and will look for future albums. A lot of these songs seem to be about his wife/girlfriend(don't remember which she is). My favorite song so far is higher than heaven.
on January 23, 2015
James was, I thought, the best performer on Idol the year he competed against Haley Reinhadt, Casey Abrams and Crystal Bowersox. Unfortunately, for me, his music here does not stand alone very well. Admittedly, I am of an older generation, but this music is such a departure from his performances that I regret spending the money on it. A very talented young man, but not one this older man wants to listen to.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse