Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Memory of Us: A Novel
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 52 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 1,737 reviews
on July 21, 2017
This book caused quite the animated discussion at our last book club gathering. My own opinion depended on where I was in the book when asked. Throughout the early part, I would have exclaimed it to be one of the very best ever. However, as the story progressed and particularly at the end, my opinion grew agitated, and I would describe my fellow members as openly hostile toward the ending. There was no love lost on this woman or perhaps even more so toward her mother who had failed to model any authentic coping skills. The bare bones for an epic story that transcends circumstances got lost in self absorption that should never be celebrated.
on September 17, 2016
The book (kindle edition) trundles along and one gets caught up in the story. The overall plot is a little weak - would a man really live with his former wife for so long and not recognise her? Would someone make so many ridiculous mistakes and hurt so many people? But it's very readable - in the genre of " beach novel". The author is not British and occasionally there are words, phrases or situations which are not British and which grate a little.
If you like a good read which is non-demanding and easy to read, then this is fine.
on June 20, 2017
While the book was well written, it is not the genre that I usually read. Historical fiction with some romance is fine. I expected more about WW11 than I did about a teen age girl pining over a young man studying for the priesthood. Parts of the book were good. I think that decisions that she made were not selfless but selfish. The beginning and end part of the book were better than the middle.
on September 24, 2016
This was not a "bad" novel, but the tone of the writing, particularly in the first part of the novel, sounds, sophomoric. It really did sound like a high school kid speaking; I realize she is young when we first meet her (19), but presumably she is writing this memoir as a much older and wiser woman. The tone could have reflected that voice more than than of a heart-struck teenager. Does Julianne grow? Ultimately she does, but not before putting herself and Kyle through unnecessary grief and longing because she has some misguided notion of taking him from the priesthood and consequently suffers enormous grief. Living as a wandering hermit for several years because of needless guilt is just sad and pointless. Is that what God would want from human beings? I think not.
on August 22, 2016
The story seemed contrived and the protagonist so unlikable that I had trouble caring what happened to her. More believable character development and less descriptive scene elaboration might have helped. Not a book I would recommend to others.
on September 12, 2016
I found the book enjoyable and engrossing, but some of it didn't make sense. I could maybe understand Julianne not going back to her husband Kyle after her injuries, but not to go to her parents afterwards and tell them she was alive -- well, it's ridiculous. Also, she gives up her baby. Why? because ostensibly she believes it's better for the baby not to live the life of a nomad. But she could have just as easily settled in one place with her new name and brought up the baby that way - just as Jane does.
on January 24, 2017
I genuinely enjoyed this novel. It is well written with believable characters. I think the best part of the prose is the dialogue. Spot on. However, my largest gripe is the plot is a tried and true forbidden love one and is very similar to something straight from Downton Abbey.
on October 7, 2016
This is an easy and slightly predictable but enjoyable read. I enjoyed the time period, the characters, and the detail with which the first half is the book was written. I am disappointed the latter half was rushed and far less detailed - it felt like the author got bored or had to make a deadline that didn't allow for the character development and detail found in the first half. However, those feelings wouldn't stop me from recommending it to a fellow reader.
on October 22, 2016
The Memory of Us would benefit from good editing. Although it takes place in an historical setting, the history is not adequately incorporated into the plot and could easily be extracted from the story. The main character is not very likable due to her self-centered actions. Her husband, Kyle, is much more sympathetic and real. After Kyle goes to war, the story becomes very depressing and I found myself looking forward to finishing the book.
on April 24, 2017
This was a pleasant read. It was a typical love story with a fairy tale ending. It was not a gripping read for me.