Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 458 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 498 reviews
on January 21, 2016
I purchased a pair of these boots when on sale as a potential replacement for my aging (nine year old) North Face Baltoros, which are no longer manufactured. While the Moabs are in some ways very good boots, and certainly up to a number of wintertime needs, they are not in the same league as the Baltoros. Those looking for a full-fledged winter boot suitable for a day of work or play in very cold temperatures and/or snow more than a couple of inches deep will want to look further.

Fit and finish. These appear (as expected from Merrell) very well made. They fit my somewhat narrow feet very well and comfortably although, as some others have noted, they seem to run a little small. I bought a half size larger than I usually wear and they fit perfectly. They go on and come off easily, and there was hardly any break-in period. I've worn them on all-day hikes and showshoeing trips, and no complaint with comfort.

Warmth. Seems OK for casual use. These claim 400 gm of insulation (same as the Baltoros) but head-to-head (same temperature, same trail, same socks) they are noticeably colder. They are adequate for working around the property when I can come inside from time to time, and certainly much warmer than summer boots, but definitely not best in class.

Water resistance. The claim of "waterproof" seems to be a tad exaggerated. Walking through rain, snow, or a slushy parking lot, they're fine. On a couple of occasions when I stepped through thin ice into a inch or so of water, however, I knew it immediately. The water didn't come gushing in, but I could certainly tell I didn't want to stand there very long.

Traction. These have Merrell's "Ice Grip" sole. It's softer and stickier than a summer boot, and one definitely notices the difference, but other soles out there (The North Face's in particular) are better still. I wouldn't wear these boots without an additional traction aid if I expected ice.

Height. The Moabs extend an inch or so above my ankle. Many other winter boots are two or three inches higher. Which is "better" is a matter of personal preference and intended usage; just be aware that these are fairly short as winter boots go.

In writing this review, I debated between assigning three stars or four. I ultimately settled on four stars because with the right expectations (causal use around town, not absurdly cold, not walking through deep snow, water, or on ice) these could be very good or even excellent boots. If you're looking for a boot that will stand up to more demanding tasks, however, you will want to look further.
on January 1, 2017
I received these boots as a Christmas present from my wife, so I guess I've only had them a week now. While I haven't spent a whole lot of time in these, I felt it necessary to take to Amazon to review them. These boots are so great! I live in California, so not a whole lot of snow, but the day after I got them I decided to take a brand new pair of boots and use them for some very muddy work excavating dirt from my front yard. They were absolutely caked in mud, but a hose-off and scrubbing from a bristle brush and they looked like brand new again. The next day and the day after I repeated the process and each time they ended up looking like I just removed them from the box.

Fast-forward to this weekend, when we took a trip north to find some snow. I've been trudging around in the snow for the past two days and these things have kept my feet warm and dry. I've never had a pair of shoes offer so much traction in snow and mud, it's like I'm wearing snow tires on my feet. I can't say enough for these shoes, they're my favorite Christmas present and I'm sure they'll continue to perform for years to come.

Comfort - I wear a size 9.5 and have slim feet, that seems to be important to whether you find these shoes comfortable or not. For me, I'm not sure that I would want to hike for miles and miles in these, but they are comfortable when worn all day long--so long as you keep the mileage down. Also, double-knotting the laces is important, if the laces get too loose your calves/shins will start to knock around in the upper portion, and they'll rub you in all the wrong ways. Keeping these laced tight (but not too tight) is key to making sure that they stay comfortable.

Breathability - These don't breathe, they're snow boots that are advertised as waterproof (though they're not--not really). Make sure you keep that in mind, these will be on the shelf all summer long, they would be inappropriate for use in the summer months unless you live in Alaska or the North Pole.
on December 19, 2016
Beyond satisfied with these boots. Went on a 3 hour hike today in 4 to 6 inches of snow and the boots were warm, dry, comfortable, and provided needed traction in slush and icy surfaces. Initial reaction was that the sole had more than desired arch support, but after walking in them for a few hours it seemed to loosen up and was extremely comfortable. The boot is extremely stiff and has zero flex (reminds me of my waterproof motorcycle boots). I am fitted for US 11.5 (wide) but typically go for US 12 when 11.5 (wide) is not available. I ordered size US 12 in these boots and they were surprisingly comfortable - just snug enough not to slip but provided adequate room in the toe area.
on March 25, 2016
Great winter boots. I've only worn them through one winter so far, but they have held up well. I don't think they would be good summer rain boots given the insulation they have, but I might try them for that purpose once or twice this year to see if my feet end up getting way too hot.

This winter in the NorthEast has been abnormally warm and we have had an abnormally small amount of snow, so I haven't been able to thoroughly test these boots out. However, we did have one weekend where the temperatures were about -10F to -20F (that's a negative in front of the temps) before wind chill. I used these boots then, and didn't have any issues with keeping my feet warm, but I generally have quite good circulation. I am not sure how someone with poor circulation would fare in very cold weather.
on January 18, 2016
I feel so much more confident on icy side walks and trails with these then I ever did with my last pair of (winter) boots, I recently switched from a USMC Rat boot to these. I have a large dog that I take for long walks in the woods or around a nearby lake everyday for an hour or more. These are very nice boots for the price ($55 at purchase). 400 gram isolation, and great grip in about a foot of snow. The only thing that I don't like is the laces are flimsy for a boot and I feel that they will probably need to be replaced, also the these appear to be best for a narrow foot and after an hour you can start to feel them squeeze down on your foot, not so noticeable at first but sometime in and you can feel it. Also wish that the tread was less show like and had deeper grooves, as the tread often fills with snow easily in the woods. I do really appreciate these boots because my feet are warm and I can keep my normal stride on icy paths that otherwise would have me acting much more cautious.
on March 29, 2016
Wow. These boots are super comfortable and ruggedly built. I have yet to truly test their water resistance, but from inspection it looks like it will do fine.

UPDATE, May 2017: Just wore these during a 8 hour hike in deep snow in Colorado. I also was wearing gaiters. Boots were extremely comfortable--despite post-holing most of those 8 hours--and kept my feet perfectly dry. I couldn't be happier with my choice in these boots. Perfect fit, very comfortable, rugged, and waterproof.
on March 8, 2017
I have been using these on and off for about 3 month. It's hasn't been the coldest/snowing winters so far so I have probably only wore them about 20-25 times. I work construction and got these wintery days at work (I live near Pittsburgh, PA). I usually end up getting a wide boot, but did not in these. They fit a little snug. I thought they "broke in" pretty quickly. The are a heavy boot. These have keep my feet comfortable working in a inch or 2 of slush/snow all day long. I install metal roofs. These boots have a soft rubber sole which is helps grip on a sloped metal roof.
on April 5, 2017
I am a fan of Merrell shoes. These boots, however, are rather stiff due to the quite hard material that the bottom portion of the boots are made of. Despite this, I decided to keep them and put quite a few miles on them over a period of approximately 2 months. They were definitely warm enough for hiking in during northern lower peninsula Michigan winter. A problem developed however, when the rubber/composite bottom on one boot began separating from the leather upper. Because of this problem I returned them for a refund. I was a bit disappointed that Amazon charged me for return transportation cost even though one of the boots proved defective. I will definitely buy more Merrell footwear in the future, just not this particular product.
on January 18, 2017
This was "The Year of the Boot" for me. When the first snow fell, I pulled on my 5-year-old pair of Columbia boots and the leather uppers came completely loose from the rubber bottoms on both boots. Whatever glue they were using in China that week was no bueno. I needed an insulated winter boot with good traction and waterproofing, and believe me, I kissed a lot of frogs until I found these Merrells! They fit great out of the box, just like their hiking boots do (if you're a fan of the Moab product line, you'll love these). They were flexible enough to allow me to drive a car without endangering myself and others. And they're as warm as having several housecats duct taped to your feet (no, I haven't tried it, but it sounds fun, no?). As for "waterproofing," I always spray my boots down anyway because I'm a little OCD that way (and my feet are always dry - how 'bout that!). I also purchased a pair of nice pac boots (Kamik "Habitant") because my theory is you need one pair you can drive and snowshoe in and one you can shovel the drive and sled with the kids in, right? Speaking of snowshoeing, these Merrells have a feature I was looking for and didn't find on most boots - a D rinng to hook gaiters to on the front. That to me is a good sign that they are made for more than just waiting for the bus or going to the mailbox. After much searching, I am indeed happy with these Merrells - hope you will be too.
on January 17, 2017
I've always loved Merrell's shoes. I've had several pairs over the years. I can say I will purchase another pair, and soon. Probably the slip on version for winter and cool weather as it's easier to put on.

These boots are excellent. They are very comfortable and very durable. They grip the ground (in the snow) very well. I live in an area where it snows fairly often and it just stacks up, and these boots kept my feet dry walking through the deep snow. I do stomp my feet off when I leave the snowy areas, but you never really get it all off. These boots are also warm. I live in an area where the temp drops to around -20 at times. After being outside for more than 20 minutes me feet begin to feel cool. However, I shouldn't be outside in those kind of temps, for that long, anyway! Regardless, these boots are warm. Make sure you have the correct socks on too, it will, obviously, help.
The design is nice, and colors are good. Though I don't understand as to why they charge different prices for different colors on Amazon. Popularity?

Price. Price for these boots are definitely reasonable for what you're buying. You get what you pay for, right?

Bottom line. Great boots. Comfortable. Warm (in cold weather). I will purchase more pairs of Merrell footwear in the future. Thank you Merrell! Keep it up!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.