Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Merry Ex-Mas
Format: Paperback|Change

on December 29, 2013
This book was predictable...but, it was okay for a lazy, rainy holiday weekend. Although I did not like the way the individual women were portrayed as needy and weak (with regards to the relationships with their Ex`s) it was tolerable for the sake of literature. I would like to have seen the women heal, come to terms with their lives, forgive, and "move" on. The scene in which one of the protaganist (I will not give away the name as not to spoil it for upcoming readers) proceeds to get drunk and disorderly was simply AWFUL; and unnecessary to the overall plot of the story. I enjoy seeing women work through situations of adversity and overcome objectives (at least somewhat), not succumb to public intoxication and disorderly conduct. Also, I'm not a fan of sequels, and the ending surely points in that direction.
on December 10, 2013
merry ex-masThis is a novel for the holidays that is reality based. I liked Merry Ex-Mas by Victoria Christopher Murray because it gives permission for us to talk about a Christmas that is not all happy, kissy, love you, love you. It’s about the Christmases we feel in the pit of our stomach before the day arrives. We feel sad or put upon.

When the day arrives, the circumstances only become worse. In the novel, there is Kendall, Sheridan and Asia. These three women have been deeply hurt by the men they loved and married. After the marriages are over, these men are still a part of these women’s lives. I especially felt sorry for Asia. Her daughter’s name is Angel. Asia and Angel have been invited to a stay over with Asia’s husband and Angel’s father. To make matters worse his new unsaintly wife, Caroline, will be the guest hostess standing right beside Bobby, Asia’s ex. Asia is much stronger that I. Yes, I would have drank all the Moscato. I did not blame her one bit.

Thankfully, every time Asia almost loses it her daughter, Angel, is there to help her hold on for goodness sake and bite her tongue. All of the ladies have been through horrible situations with their men. One of the other two finds her husband…..well, I won’t give it away.

Needless to say this could easily be my favorite Christmas book so far. This novel helped me to realize with prayer it’s possible to live through, get through or survive the worst of times. Really, all we want to do is just die in our tracks. Now it’s possible to stop feeling ashamed of the fact that there are times when we wish Christmas would happen without our presence. Victoria Christopher Murray gives us that wonderful freedom to say I wish Christmas would hurry up and come so that it can hurry up and go. It’s alright. God still loves all of us. He understands.victoriachristophermurray
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
"...the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."
Remember that scene from the Grinch who Stole Christmas? That was my heart after I finished reading Merry Ex-mas.

Catching up with old friends brings a certain type of heart swelling joy. Merry Ex-Mas allowed me to catch up with "friend in my head" Sheridan Hart Goodman, who I met and adored in Grown Folk Business. I also got to hang with hard working Kendall from the Ex-Files and around the way girl, Asia, (can't say anything nice about her, so I won't say anything.)

It's always good to catch up, but I was not ready for the emotional lessons they were laying on me. I thought my forgiveness muscles were strong but the things these ladies had to work out left me breathless!

Which is why I love VCM's books. I am pushed to grow spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Plus, she delivers laugh out loud zingers like this:

"Her long ponytail swished from side to side as she bounced in like a cheerleader and greeted me with a smile that probably cost thousands."

Ultimately, Merry Ex-Mas speaks to our NEED to forgive. "People have to forgive. We don't have to like them, we don't have to be friends with them, we don't have to send them hearts in text messages, but we have to forgive them, to overlook, to forget. Because if we don't we are tying rocks to our feet, too much for our wings to carry!” ― C. JoyBell

Keleigh Crigler Hadley - Author of Revenge, Inc.
on August 9, 2014
My heart goes out to Kendall I don't think I could have endured not one moment with them. When Sherdian met Quentin's fiancé it was priceless I believe I would have felt the same way as her. Asia should have known better, I would have never put my self in that situation. This was a very good book and I can't wait to read Forever an Ex.
on January 5, 2014
While I didn't like the cliffhanger...I'm elated that June 2014 holds the next piece of the puzzle. It's interesting to catch up with these ladies and the handling of their exes. While I don't personally know the pain, humiliation and anger these ladies feel, it's evident in everything they say and do. I sincerely want to add them to my prayer list! YES IT IS THAT SERIOUS. These are characters you get involved with and they stick to you....yeah. I honestly hadn't thought more about them after The Ex Files but knowing how the years have passed is stuff I needed to find out. I just wish they didn't have to hurt so much. Trying to decide how I feel. Great writing...wonderful story and excellent set up for what's to come. Just be ready to get all emotional!!
on November 15, 2013
This story was more than I expected. I was so happy to see another book that had to do with ex files. I loved that novel and always wondered what happened to the characters. So much has happened and changed in all of their lives. This is a must read to any of Victoria Christopher Murray's true followers. Can't wait for the next one
on July 24, 2014
I thought this was as good novel. It touched on three friends that had encountered bad endings to previous relationships, united through church and then presented with meetings for Christmas with their individual exes in what can only be described as a trying time for each. It is apparent from the 3 separate Christmas gatherings that there is still some unresolved issues with each lady and that sometimes we think we have forgiven and gotten over something and really the feelings still are just below the surface and will show forth once tempted. Great story line looking forward to the next book in this saga.
on December 14, 2013
"Here's what you always have to remember. You can always go to God in prayer; He will always meet you there, and He will always forgive you. But know that even forgiven sins have consequences."

I will start this review by stating that I absolutely adore everything that Victoria Christopher Murray writes and Merry Ex-Mas is another good one!!! Murray has the unique talent to be able to write a contemporary story that has Christian undertones (see above quote) and plenty of life lessons along the way. While Merry Ex-Mas is a novella, it packs as much punch as some full-length novels. Merry Ex-Mas is a perfect holiday read!!!
on January 1, 2017
I read X files a few years and was looking forward to the sequel to see what happened to the characters. It didn't give much insight. It felt like it showed a week glimpse and left you wanting more. I downloaded the next book. Hope it's gives more insight to what the ladies are going through.
on May 23, 2014
I didn't think there was more to tell about these three ladies and their exes....boy, was I wrong! Lol Great preview for what's to come in "Forever An Ex." I enjoyed this so much and can't waaaiiit to read how it all unfolds.