Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Merton & Hesychasm: The Prayer of the Heart & the Eastern Church (The Fons Vitae Thomas Merton series) Paperback – January 1, 2003
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
About the Author
Jonathan Montaldo is president of the International Thomas Merton Society and the Immediate past director of the Thomas Merton Center at Bellarmine University. A former Jesuit seminarian, Montaldo studied Merton at a graduate level and has published extensively on him. Montaldo is co-editor with Brother Patrick Hart (a monk at the Abbey of Gethsemani) of The Intimate Merton and is sole editor of the second volume of the Thomas Merton Journals, published by HarperSanFrancisco. Other forthcoming works include Dialogues with Silence: Thomas Merton's Prayers & Drawings.
Top customer reviews
This is also an excellent introduction to Thomas Merton and his connection to the fathers from the East.
This is one of the best books on the subject around! Amazingly detailed.
Contents of some of the chapters:
1. How do we enter the heart? Kallistos Ware
2. Silence in prayer: the meaning of hesychia Ware
3. The power of the Name Ware
4. The Ladder of divine ascent: the yoga of hesychism Custinger
5. A sufic perspec6tive on St. Seraphim of Sarov Gary Henry
6. Merton and the eastern fathers: the worship of the whole creation Allchin
7. Our lives, a powerful Pentecost: Merton and Russian spirituality Allchin
8. Merton and the Xpian East
9. Merton and Icons Jim Forest
10. Merton and Evdokimov
PLUS 21 other chapters, all of strong erudition and scholarship. Very nourishing for mind and soul.