Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Style Name: Fine Edge(Pakkawood Handle)|Change

Showing 1-10 of 149 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 154 reviews
on April 26, 2016
I purchased a set of four Messermeister Avanta Fine Edge Steak Knives From Amazon LLC two weeks ago. We have enjoyed using these stainless steel knives twice with top sirloin steaks. I ordered the straight edge knives with the black POM (polyoxymethylene) handles. I prefer straight edge to serrated edge for steak knives and don't mind sharpening knives when they need it. I have used black POM handled kitchen knives for many years and like this food grade synthetic for it's long lasting good looks and durability. I hand wash all of our good knives regardless of handle material type.

Messermeister knives have been popular for decades, especially their line of kitchen knives. These steak knives are hammer forged German steel. From what I read these are made in China. Regardless of brand name most steak knives priced under $30 apiece will be Chinese made. The Messermeister Avanta quality is very good. These knives have a nice weight and feel. We will have no problem setting out these fine knives for our guests. Fitting of the black POM scales (black handle material) to the full length tang is precise. I can't feel any sharp edges on these joins: the fitting is barely felt on the fingertips. The three rivets are also smoothly surfaced to the scales. The knives arrived very sharp. The tips are quite sharp so consider blunt tipped knives for small children. The Messermeisters cut top sirloin beef like a dream. The knife butt is what you see when the knives are at home in a block. We block them upside down to prevent cutting the wood. There is enough hand finish detail that each butt has a slightly individual look so the knives appear hand finished when lined up in a block. We like these knives so much I ordered a second set this evening. I considered the first set of four a deal at $13.75 per knife. This evening I found the price reduced to $9.64 per knife, which is a steal! Packaging is nothing fancy, just a tough clear plastic tray and enclosure.

We are delighted with the quality and design of these Messermeister Avanta steak knives and expect to receive many years of use from them. I'll post an update to this review as a reply two months down the road.
review image review image review image review image
on January 18, 2016
Best steak knives available.

Gorgeous rosewood-like handles (they also come in black). Forged knives that are extremely well made. Exceedingly sharp. The blades are not serrated, but I have never used a serrated blade that was any sharper and stayed that way. Rather have a knife I can sharpen than a serrated one that I cannot. But you would have to use them a lot to get them to dull appreciably.

These knives blow away anything cheaper and can stand up in terms of looks and performance to knives costing five times as much (I am looking at you, Wusthof). No surprise since they are made in China, though with German steel.

Named by Sweethome at the end of 2015 as the best buy. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-steak-knife-set/
on September 13, 2016
The knives themselves are a 4 star, but combined with the price gives it a strong 4.5-5.

I ordered two sets of these knives to coordinate with my Wusthof Classic Ikon knives. They look almost as good as the Ikon's for a fraction of the price. The fit and finish was good. Only one knife (out of two packages, 8 total knives) didn't have a perfect edge, but after a few swipes on the sharpener, all good. The feel of the handles are very similar to the Ikon's and the rivets were smooth with the rest of the handle.

I bought these without actually seeing these in person based upon my faith in the company and how happy I have been with their take apart kitchen shears.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon December 28, 2014
Excellent knives - very sharp, well made and elegant.

Pros: Cuts steaks and other foods very clean without tears and ridges (versus some serrated knives), nicely balanced and solid feel in hand, very beautifully designed and elegant. I must add they are also sturdy.

Cons (rather small ones): Because this is a straight fine edge, it does need to be sharpened more often than serrated steak knives. However, giving these knives a new edge only requires a quick strop with green compound or some other method of your choice when sharpening or straightening knives (such as using very fine stones, using knife sharpeners, etc). Also, while these are made with German steel, they are finished or assembled in China. But, once again, this is a well made set of knives and they cannot be sold at current prices if they were finished or assembled in Germany due to their high labor cost.

In summary, after using these knives for almost a year and many steak dinners in between, I must say these are a great value and wonderful to use every time. Recommended.
on September 11, 2016
These knives have a very hard steel that rings faintly when you draw your fingertip across the edge - just like my Henkels Professional "S" kitchen knives. I have found that stainless steel like that takes and holds a very fine edge.
I have only one straight edge Henckels Pro "S" steak knife (which is my long-time favorite), but these Messermeister Avanta knives seem to be it's equal, and are far cheaper.
I'm no fan of serrated edge blades - they often tear rather than cut, and are very tedious to sharpen with a rod and stone - so I was glad to find these Avanta knives.
The straight edge blades slice smoothly and precisely, and are easy to sharpen.
The handles are very well fitted -transition from steel to plastic is smooth.
I have large hands, so the grips are a little small for me, but they cut so effortlessly that a light grip is enough.
on May 22, 2017
After reading a lot of good reviews about these knives, I must say I am pretty disappointed. I don't know if I got a bad set or what, but the fit and finish of these knives is pretty poor. All four of them has one issue or another. I'll list them:

Knife #1: Split in wooden scales that will certainly flake a larger piece off with normal use.

Knife #2: The spine potrudes out from the wood enough to form a very sharp metal edge. The spine is also jagged as shown in photos. I would imagine it wouldn't be hard to accidentally cut yourself from the this edge

Knife #3: Two small pits in blade close to the bolster. While they are tiny, and probably won't effect overall performance, it just speaks to the quality control (or lack thereof) of the company.

All knives in varying degrees: rivets are raised, some more than others, causing sharp edges around handles. Spines are not flush in all except for one of the knives.

These problems aside the steel seems good, and they are sharp. Unfortunately, due to how many small problems these knives possess I will have to return them. I really wanted to like these especially with all the great reviews, so I am bummed they did not meet expectations.
on November 22, 2016
Very High quality and terrific value if you are looking for more than an entry level (very soon to be throw-away) steak knife and don't want to or can't justify the extreme high end, hand-crafted knives from Japan that individually cost more than two sets of these wonderful knives. These are the best value to be found after weeks of research and reading reviews. These are shave-your-face sharp, have a solid, substantial feel and perfectly balance in your hand. Aesthetically they are very attractive and are even more functional. They hold their edge and then re-sharpen easily. I recommend hand washing only because they are too nice to disrespect by throwing them in a dishwasher although I suspect they would survive nicely and without damage. Don't reserve them just for "steak". You will be arranging your menus just to create excuses to put them on your table: lamb, chicken, game hens, pork, etc.. The fine (non-serrated) edge is soooooo much better than those knives that only saw and rip through their target. A sharp, fine edge (like these) smoothly and effortlessly slice and cut without maiming the meat on your plate.
on February 18, 2017
Very good knives. Good edge geometry and sharpness out of the box.

4 stars because of the handle: The handle material seems undersized, almost as if the handle scales were all made at once and then they shrunk during storage. The pins protrude past the handle surface and were not sanded flush. There is also visible filler around the edges of the tang, further indication that the handle is undersized.

At this price point, I don't care. Excellent bang for the buck. If fit and finish is more important, however; I would recommend paying more for a different brand of non-serrated steak knife.
on September 27, 2016
We are VERY happy with this purchase. You could easily spend twice that much and not get a product that is any better. And are the manufacturers kidding???? Knives get SO pricey...especially when you have 12 guests to feed. This was the best bang for our buck, so 5 stars!

My husband is the at-home-chef I "sous" for and is a serious knife guy. (Picky, picky, picky.) He loved them. We did't have problems with the unevenness of rivets as some reviewers did, and the blade stays sharp a very long time. We hand wash and sharpen our own, by the way. (It's easy enough and learning this skill means you don't have to drive to a sharpener, drop them off, wait forever and then pick them up...Such a lot of fuss for a 5 minute task!!!) That they are also beautiful didn't hurt my feelings and my guests have given very unsolicited comments like: "Hey, Where can I get these KNIVES???" Thanksgiving is coming...if I draw the short straw, we'll be buying more.
on December 10, 2016
Very good quality knives that have stayed sharp after plenty of use at home. They have a great wood grain look going for them while retaining a perfectly air-tight seal between the bolts in the handle and the wood itself. Excellent blade edge to it as well and they look great on a special night. May need to buy a second set of four of these down the line