Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Metallica [2 LP Vinyl]
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on September 6, 2004
Here we have Metallica's breakthrough album, the Black album. This is what put Metallica into the mainstream, and it is indeed a masterpeice. Every song on this on is a classic. The talent is all there. The production is crystal clear. Everything about this album is epic. A lot of people complain that this is all a little too mainstream, but I disagree. I believe the boys to be in top performance, just because it's a little more accessible, doesn't mean that the talent is gone. Kirk plays some of his greatest solos on this album. I believe that everyone is in top form. Jason Newsted also gets a chance to prove himself on this one. As a bassist, I believe his basslines on the slower songs to showcase his talent the most. He packs a lot of emotion, especially in Nothing Else Matters. Overall, this is just a fun and enjoyable cd with talented musicians and songwriting. Highly recommended!
77 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2001
It seems that many Metallica "fans" seem to enjoy putting this album down, for some reason. They claim that, with this album, Metallica lost their edge and sold out. Listening to this album, I'm wondering if we heard the same one. This album may not be quite as epic or technical as previous releases, but it's every bit as thrashy, heavy, and good. This album was my introduction to Metallica a few years back, and I've never stopped loving it. The songs are full of crunch and vitriol, and the two ballads ("Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters") are very emotional and melodic. There are still a lot of great solos, and Lars still dishes out some pretty impressive drumwork (especially on "The Struggle Within"). The production quality is excellent (probably the best of all their albums), so every instrument is distinct and hard-hitting. There are no bad songs, but if you want to hear a great one, check out "The Unforgiven". This is one of the best ballads ever, with very emotional lyrics and a great vocal performance from James Hetfield. If you love heavy metal and do not love this album, there is probably something wrong with you. I rank this album third, behind "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets", and one of my top 20 favorite albums. It's better than "And Justice for All" mainly because of the production quality, and better than "Kill Em All" because that album is too repetitive and rough around the edges (but still very good, mind you), and well, do I even need to explain why it's better than "Load" and "Reload"? The simple fact of the matter is that Metallica was still a great band at this time, and did not sell out with this album. This album was much heavier and better than anything else that was popular at the time (except for Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell"). "Load" and "Reload" were the ones where the music changed for the worse, but even those albums weren't so bad. If Metallica ever did sell out, it wasn't until the awful "I Disappear". If they ever get another bass player, and Hetfield ever gets out of rehab, let's hope they stop doing that kind of stuff and go back to the basics. Megadeth and Iron Maiden already made incredible returns to form with "The World Needs a Hero" and "Brave New World", if Metallica does another album like this, then metal is officially back. Otherwise, they may as well just call it quits. Anyway, buy this album, it is one of the best.
1717 comments| 193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2004
This is one intense album. Yes, it's been played to death (so was "Stairway to Heaven," does that make Led Zeppelin a sellout? What about "Start Me Up?" "Free Fallin'?"), but does that make Metallica a sellout? No it doesn't. The word "sellout" just doesn't apply to Metallica.
The songs were not like their usual thrash-style, nor was the sound, or the lyrics, or the song structure, or the production. Does that make this a bad album full of bad songs? No. Does the album lack musicality? No. Does it lack the attitude that metal projects constantly? No.
People forget that this album houses one of THE most heavy songs ever written - Sad But True. Some hardcore losers might come out and say, "What about Morbid Angel's 'Nothing is Not?' Or Six Feet Under's 'Blood of the Insane?' or Samael's 'Shining Kingdom?' Huh? Huh? Huh?" And then call Metallica p@$$y sellouts. I don't think so. Yes bands like Slayer, Samael, Impaled Nazarene, Deicide (Children of the Underworld), Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel (James Murphy-era) might write songs that are far and away heavier than a lot of Metallica's songs, but you can't deny that "Sad But True" is a benchmark of metal heaviness and raises some serious hairs on the back of your brain. Keep in mind the other thing about Metallica that this album demonstrates, no matter how crappy the music gets, no one can match their power.
Then there are those that howl about "Nothing Else Matters." Once again, we hear moaning about how it was popular, teenie girls liked it, it's not heavy, it's not metal, it's not real, it's a sellout song, it's stupid, it's not Slayer, blah blah blah. Does this mean it's a bad song? No.
Some people talk about this album being the "beginning of the end of Metallica." The argument is that, again, it's not metal. Most of those people are metal heads who have never heard of another genre, and are exactly the close-minded, unintelligent saps that they claim they are because of their "different" musical tastes (It doesn't work that way. A lot of people listen to metal, death, black, grindcore, thrash, etc., and it doesn't make you unique just because you listen to metal.) The thing is, "Nothing Else Matters" was unlike any other metal song we had heard, and this close-mindedness was not the kind of audience the song needed, even though it found an audience elsewhere. What happens is that those people miss out on a great song and a great album. That's essentially the problem; it's not the band, it's the ears listening to it.
Imagine if this album had been released by a brand new band; they would be instant metal gods. But no, Metallica "betrayed" us. No they didn't. They made their music. If you don't like it, go back to Cannibal Corpse, but don't open your mouth and claim to know good music because all you listen to is a "unique" style of music called metal.
55 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2016
The very first cd I ever purchased. A lot of people panned this album because it isn't thrash.Thrash doesn't equate heavy. I mean, have they sounded heavier than those first 10 bars of Sad But True? Stylistically they decided to slow it down (like everyone else at the time- see Countdown to Extinction, Seasons in the Abyss, Sound of White Noise), Bob rock came in as producer and wanted to make them "sound better" i.e. radio friendly and for the most part he did a fine job. From a production point, James vocally never has been better, Lars' drums never sounded so heavy, and Jason's bass dominated on My Friend of Misery and The God that Failed. The place where this album falters is with the song structures. Everything is formulaic: intro,verse,chorus,verse,chorus which made some songs just boring. On Justice they implemented many different time changes and guitar harmonies that were all but abandoned here. All in all a very good album but not in the same league as RTL, AJFA, or MOP.
on May 2, 2009
Just picked this up, finally, after weeks of wondering about quality. Plus weeks of not wanting to drop $50 on a LP version of a CD I already own. But I love the warm analog sound some vinyl has, and this was remastered with TLC, so I went for it.

Played "Nothing Else Matters" 1st, my favorite slow Metallica song, and the high end sounds very shrill and over-recorded. I can't believe it !!! I tried 3 different cartridges/styli. All with the same results, WTF

The rest of the songs sound fine , but Nothing Else Matters was a disaster, especially during the first half.

Favorites with best overall sound quality are "The Unforgiven," "Wherever I May Roam," "Enter Sandman," {which sounds great of course, especially done up analog}. The vinyl here is powerful, especially on a high-end system with the right cartridge. I'm playing this back with a Stanton 680 HP cartridge. (If you can still find one, grab it)

Please leave a comment if you personally had audio problems with "Nothing Else Matters" --- something you noticed as well. Thanks.
1010 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2016
In my youth I had heard whispers of "Metallica" but was too busy contemplating humanity and my inexplicable lack of chest hair to pay attention. After a long day of complaining about the lack of local recycling options, I came to Amazon to buy "Metal Can Bin" but this CD showed up in the results. It was fate. When it arrived, I put it on in my Prius and started driving to my favorite vegan burrito & poetry club, thinking it was just another day. The next thing I know, I'm at a butcher shop buying a 3 pound bone-in ribeye. After grilling it on an [illegal] open fire in a state park, I ripped the sleeves off my organic cotton shirt and dug in, with "The Unforgiven" blasting out of the car. Oh the car. With Metallica in my heart and cow blood dripping down my chin, I saw that piece of ultra-efficient engineering in a whole new light. A terrible light. I immediately drove to my nearest Ford dealer and traded it for a F150 Raptor. After burning some SIIIIIICCCCKKKKKK donuts in the Whole Foods parking lot, I set off across the country on a quest to find anything that rocks harder than Metallica. So far nothing has come close.
on April 4, 2016
Terrible, awful, shameful product. This was advertised as a "new" album, but it has more pops, skips, static than most of my 40-year-old original LP records. Amazon's quality control is awful. Don't trust their "new" rating. This is the biggest $25 piece of crap I've ever wasted money on.
on April 14, 2015
My era of music was the 1970's - the decade that most of the best Rock Music was made. I was never really into Heavy Metal that much, and then the "Grunge" era of the early '90's came along, and I started listening to some of it. I really liked Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Candlebox - bands that I thought were carrying on with the spirit of great classic rock. And then I heard this album and it blew me away. I have always wanted to buy this - I don't know why it took me so long! The music speaks for itself. If you like hard, kick-ass Rock Music - this is for you. Even the slower songs kick ass!
on January 17, 2015
What can you say about the Black album that hasn't already been said? This is the one that put Metallica in the mainstream,and showed people that it wasn't all just kill your mother,rape your father garbage,it was Great music,with Great lyrics that could stand the test of time with all the other Great music out there!! Metallica is a Great band,and this album finally got them the credibility they deserve!! Long Live Metallica!!!
on February 11, 2016
GREAT album, but don't buy on vinyl. There was a manufacturing error when the vinyl was pressed causing the song "Enter Sandman" to skip. I've gone through multiple copies only to find this very dissapointing result.

While the album itself is great, don't bother with the vinyl on this one.