Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 20, 2017
Best classical Metallica ever!! I don't like classical music, but when you throw in Metallica, I love it!! One of my favorite songs is No leaf clover, only found on this DVD, or Cd. Another great idea from Metallica!!
on June 29, 2017
I bought this because I was at this concert. The quality is not very good but it brought back a lot of memories
on April 23, 2017
This is a great DVD. I really enjoyed the CD years ago when it came out. I just got the DVD recently. I have already watched it a couple times. This was a great performance by Metallica and the symphony that was captured for those of us that weren't fortunate to have seen in person. Well done!
on May 30, 2010
I've always liked Metallica. I remember when they came up through the Los Angeles and then San Francisco heavy metal music scenes. They were something of an outrage, of course, but an attractive outrage. I also found their MTV videos compelling viewing, back in the days when MTV was all videos. Real good band, albeit somewhat turbulent. Excellent and non-compromising. Very distinct signature sound.

Well, some years ago I read about Metallica producing a concert in conjunction with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. Heavy Metal with a symphony orchestra? Who ever thought this one up? Well, I finally got around to ordering the video. My wife and I viewed it a couple nights ago. It's a two-disc DVD and we viewed it on two nights. Outstanding! Absolutely stunning! It's one of the best rock-concert videos I've ever viewed. Both the audience and the atmosphere is totally unlike any symphony concert I've ever attended, that's for sure. Basically, it's a greatest hits album with a couple new songs added. Both the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra and Metallica were really up for this one and the audience loved it. It's a strange mixture of musical styles, but it works and makes for compelling viewing and listening. Who knows? Maybe this will be one of America's greatest contributions to classical music. Awesome!

Gary Peterson
on July 30, 2010
Even if one is not a Metallica fan, the power and rage of Metallica and their music is undeniable. The San Francisco Symphony, with Michael Kamen as the conductor, is regarded as one of the best orchestras in the world. One would think that these musicians are disparities and would never cross path. "How can a thrash metal band sound remotely decent with an orchestra?" One would ask. Well, Metallica, Michael Kamen, and the San Francisco Symphony orchestra did it; and it was a masterpiece.

From the second Metallica walked onto the stage, the mutual respect between these true musicians was evident. Opening with The Ecstasy of Gold, drifting to The Call of Ktulu, then to the wrathful Master of Puppets, everyone in the stadium was ecstatic. The unexpected harmony was largely due to the conductor, Michael Kamen. The orchestra definitely volumed up, to the classic songs of Metallica (such as Of Wolf and Man and Devil's Dance).

Two of my favorites that I found to be especially dark and heavy were - Human and One. In my opinion, I think the music of Metallica and the Symphony blended perfectly in these two songs. All the audience were standing from their seats while the band and the Orchestra were making their music. Dark, raw, and astonishing......

S & M is a masterpiece.
on July 13, 2000
Finally! I've been listening to the CD and waiting for the DVD for months. James' voice was great. Much better than on Cunning Stunts.
I'm a huge Metallica fan and also a SF Symphony fan. SF Symphony plays Shoreline ampitheatre in the Bay Area every July 4th. I highly recommend it.
The beginning of the concert was an excellent way to introduce Metallica fans to the symphony. My favorites are One, Bells, Roam. The transition into Puppets was fantastic.
After Cunning Stunts, I was hoping S&M would be a more user-friendly DVD.
1) You have to go to the audio menu to switch tracks. The default is not 5.1.
2) I would have liked to have a widescreen version.
3) I would have liked to have had some post concert reactions in the documentary. I also think it would have been nice to have more interviews with symphony members. Most looked like they were having fun, but I'd like to hear what they thought. Was it really fun, or just another job.
5 stars for sure.
on November 25, 2016
If you have never listen to Metallica then this is the one to start with! I was not a fan of rock and roll until I saw this and listened. It is so wonderful to hear with a complete orchestra!
on November 15, 2015
The Best Metallica I Ever Experianced!!! If only it could be digitally re-mastered and re-released on Blu-ray!! The symphony members are rockin out!!!
on June 3, 2014
I wasn't there. That's my only gripe with this video. I've watched the VHS version of this concert a lot and the DVD just makes it even better. It's a moment in history that I don't think some people really appreciate. The performances are great in this concert, the sound is awesome and it has a cool atmosphere. This is a concert I'll probably watch over and over again throughout the years.
on June 21, 2015
This CD will not play on any DVD or DVR system it provides a message This disc does not meet video output due to foreign format of disc" then we notice that all the reviews are from 1999 and 2000 no recent reviews nowhere in the order does it state not compatible with US DVD/DVR products