Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Meth=Sorcery : Know the Truth
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Discover it  Trolls iPhone 7 CM4 Fire TV Stick New Professional Skin Care Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Transparent Transparent Transparent  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Emmys GNO Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 6, 2005
Lt. Joel Day- Arkansas City Fire/EMS

If you are a victim of any kind involved around methamphetamines,this book will help you to understand what exactly is going on with this drug. Whether a addict, family member, spouse, co-worker, friend, etc., Steve explains what I feel vertualy every addict and family member is or has gone through. This book ought to be required reading in our schools. Arm yourself now with some knowledge about this drug, for knowledge is the power needed to combat this drug and its victims. Thanks Steve
on March 24, 2005
My son read this book in a jail cell and it has changed his life---we hope forever---when nothing else worked. If so, we will be forever indebted to Mr. Box for sharing his story and his insights. Thank you so much!
on November 19, 2004
I think this book is the most motivational piece of work I have ever read. I have been on Meth for 4 years now and I got in trouble and while I was being held for a court date I found this book in the book case they had in the prison I was in. I read it and immediately I was in my cell praying to god every night and doing what he said I should do to change my life forever. I've now been clean for 5 months and I'm still going. I havn't had one craving or one bit of want for Meth ever since I let Jesus into my hear. I'm now a full blow Christian at First Assembly of God in Bentonville and my life has never been greater.

THANK YOU STEVE BOX!!!
on June 4, 2004
AS AN ADDICT STRUGGLING WITH KNOWING WHAT IS FALSE AND WHAT IS TRUE. WHAT IS OF THE FLESH AND WHAT IS OF THE SPIRIT? THIS BOOK REALLY CLEARED IT UP FOR ME. STEVE BOX HAS A GIFT FOR WRITING AND HAS CHANGED THE WAY I VIEW THE LIFE I CAME FROM AND THE LIFE THAT I NOW HAVE.
on May 1, 2005
This book is written from a spiritual angle, so naturally, somebody who reads this book with a neurochemical bent may mistakenly point out that it's absurd. But to look at it only from a neurochemical angle in terms of how it affects the catecholamines misses the point that meth can be looked at from many different angles. It affects a person's thoughts, emotions, and behavior. And it can also be instrumental in destroying a person's life and ravaging communities.

The author tries to draw some parallels between a biblical definition of sorcery and how the microcosm surrounding street-level meth is a manifestation of modern-day sorcery. I don't agree with every point because some assertions that are made cannot be proven with conventional scientific methods, but can only be speculated on anecdotally. In one instance, he asserts that the fact that creating meth requires a recipe is an indication that meth is sorcery. While I do understand how meth can be considered modern day sorcery, the association of meth to sorcery because a recipe is involved is spotty at best. I believe one aspect of modern day sorcery is manifested in the form of consciously controlling somebody's subconsciousness by whatever means available, and to that end, meth can be sorcery the way the author describes how some use it to achieve selfish purposes.

However, one thought that came to mind was that if there is any truth to the author's claims that street-level meth is a form of sorcery, can we also consider the possibility that pharmaceutical-grade ADHD medications represent a form of institutionalized sorcery in much more subtle degrees? Adderall and Dexedrine are pharmaceutical amphetamines, and Desoxyn is pharmaceutical methamphetamine. These are prescribed for ADHD and narcolepsy. Dexedrine is still used by Air Force pilots to keep them alert during long flights. New medications are being created to get away from the stigma associated with prescribing amphetamines to the general population, but the effectiveness of amphetamines and methamphetamine cannot be ignored. Pharmaceutical companies approach these drugs primarily from a "chemical imbalance" point of view, and we're left to figure out the spiritual implications of these drugs ourselves. Certainly, the overt and seedy effects of street-level meth don't apply at all or to the same degree that pharmaceutical amphetamines do, but for instance, there are similar issues of potential dependence on the drugs and the manufacturers of the drugs.

But why stop there? Why not consider the fact that there is a spiritual component to just about any major psychoactive pharmaceutical drugs out there (including SSRIs, opiates, barbiturates, and benzodiazepines) if we're considering the principles laid out in this book?

Although I'd be hard-pressed to make sweeping conclusions about pharmaceutical drugs since their purpose and method of usage differ quite a bit from drugs that are created primarily for recreational purposes, where we draw the line between legitimate use of our knowledge in chemistry and outright sorcery is blurred by the somewhat ironic fact that on the one hand, we're arresting some functional users (those who use meth primarily to study and to work) of street-level meth, but on the other hand, we're handing them out via prescriptions to some who abuse it, with the full blessing of Uncle Sam no less.

I've read plenty of articles on meth. I've got a pretty good handle on how it works in our brains. I read this book to get another point of view on a very powerful drug like meth, and the author did a good job of discussing his own experiences with meth. Even if he does make a few leaps of logic, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water as his experiences do raise some interesting questions. I was very much intrigued about a phenomenon that isn't often talked about concerning hallucinations: shared hallucinations where two or more people experience the same hallucinations. I hope to see more treatment on this phenomenon as I myself have experienced things on meth that seem to baffle the naturalist's mind.
on January 7, 2003
A gutsy account of a man who fell to Meth, but was able to get back up. It reveals the appeal and insidious multi-barbed hook of Meth that too few are able to get free. Steve reveals how he got caught up in it, how fast and far he fell, and how he was finally able to overcome Meth. Personally, I could easily relate to so much and now I go into the jail and distribute this book. It's always in such hi demand by addicts and their friends and families. It is insightful, effective and offers hope. "If this guy could quit there IS hope." I know ex-users who had not been able to quit, that now point to this book as being their turning point. It needed to be written but needs to be read. Thank you, Steve Box, for writing it.
on April 12, 2004
FOR ANYONE WHO HAS EVER STRUGGLED WITH ADDICTION OR HAS A LOVED ONE WHO DOES THIS BOOK IS A MUST. I COULD HAVE WRITTEN MOST OF THIS MYSELF, I AM A RECOVERING ADDICT AND THIS BOOK ALONG WITH OUR HEAVENLY FATHER WILL KEEP ME CLEAN FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, THANK YOU STEVE BOX, I WAS SHOCKED TO SEE IT WAS WRITTEN BY SOMEONE I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL WITH SMALL WORLD
on April 13, 2004
i spent way to long dealing with meth , the demonic spiritual realm is not someplace i want to return to, in this book mr box explained this insanity, i knew it was not all hallucinations, meth does equal sorcery , demons are all around us i unfortunately see them this book blew my mind thank you mr box
on September 23, 2003
I bought this book to get help for someone I care about who's been on meth for over 2 years. I loved how the author used so much of his personal life to explain what meth does to the user. I do have a better understanding of the drug and will use so much of the advice given, especially the stuff from "Things for Family". This book quotes a lot of bible scriptures but the meanings of them are very relevant to the subjects discussed. I would have rated it a full 5 stars but I would have liked the chapters to be more than 2-3 pages long. I read it cover to cover in about 2 1/2 hours. Still an excellent book and will reccommend to others.
on January 7, 2003
Steve,
Gotta love ya man....What a GREAT book. I had been a user for several years, lost everything at one time...My friend attented a church where you were promoting your book. She past it on to me and It made me never pick up another straw again....
For those of you who are trying to quit using or know someone who needs help, its worth buying this book for them....
It seemed like at one time I was the author....
God bless you and your family Steve.....
Thanks for the TRUTH......
R B