Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 308 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 467 reviews
on September 23, 2015
It's a bad Metroid game. The gameplay is really what kills it. Energy tanks are heart pieces, there are no health pickups, Samus has to recharge, you only have 50 missles, you can only use missles in first person, you can't move in first person,there are "Where's Waldo" cutscenes with absolutely no context or hints as to what to do. The dialogue is uneeded and the end of the game has a 25 minute cutscene that you can't skip.
on August 15, 2017
Metroid: Other M is a fun action-adventure game, but just a bad metroid game. The exploration aspect of metroid is completely absent from this entry and the intense moments from other entries are not in this game. For example, in every other metroid game you would have great tense moments where your low on health and need to fight to gain it back, but in Other M all you do is replenish your energy and ammo by pressing a button. This game has a horrendous story, it almost ruins Samus as a character. Despite being a terrible metroid game, the game is actually a pretty fun action-adventure game. I had lots of fun with the combat and there were some truly epic boss battles. The controls hold the combat back, since they are not very good. First person mode is executed poorly, and the regular combat is limited to only two buttons which makes the combat get boring after a while. The game is also incredibly easy, and as you may know metroid games are typically very challenging. Overall, this game makes for a terrible entry in the metroid franchise, and I would not reccomend it to any metroid fan. If you're new to the series or want a good action-adventure game then this would be a pretty good game for you.
on August 16, 2017
Gameplay is really good. Controls can be a bit wonky like most wii games when you are required to use motion controls. Luckily, the majority of the game doesn't require you use the motion control. You will use off in and on in many areas, but most game play is used by turning controller sideways and playing like a traditional video game. It's a good mix of game play that differs from the Metroid prime style FPS for a nice change up. The storyline and acting is sub par, and actually quite annoying, but the real plus here is they actually did well on the game itself.
on March 24, 2013
Not a good direction for the series... Better for those who seek action without requiring a lot of skill, and who enjoy frustrating hunts for very specific and non obvious triggers to move to the next area.

Storyline has taken a major step backwards as well.

This is the ONLY one in the series I haven't liked or finished, with the exception of Metroid Prime: Hunters, which I also didn't care for - and I think this is the spiritual successor to that, so take that to heart.

This game has taken everything I loved about the Metroid series and thrown it aside in favor of a more "halo" style story, and impressive looking action that requires no skill. Gone is the magic of exploration that made the series so truly great.

Samus was always best as a silent protagonist... Maybe I'm just getting older, but if this is the road the series will go down, I'm done.
on March 27, 2014
Item came in perfect condition, still in the shrink wrap. Very good deal at only 10 dollars, excellent seller. The developers, on the other hand....

The game has some solid action and very good graphics/presentation for the Wii, but the game still has some weird, uncomfortable design choices that would have been easy to fix.
Problem 1: The cutscenes, which can go on as long as 10-15 minutes, cannot be skipped. This is fine if you're interested in the story the first time around, but it really puts a damper on replayability. Would it really have been so hard to add a "skip cutscene" option?
Problem 2: The only control scheme they let you use is the sideways Wiimote (without nunchuck). It's really annoying to try and move your character in 3 dimensions with a D-pad instead of an analog stick.
Problem 3: Well, it's not entirely true that the sideways Wiimote is the *only* control scheme you use. Occasionally you have to point the Wiimote at the screen, which changes the perspective from a 3D platforming game (reminiscent of the 2D sidescrollers like Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion) into a first person shooter, like the popular Metroid Prime series. It's an interesting way to pay tribute to the Metroid franchise's rich heritage by combining gameplay styles, but here's the problem: Switching to first person, which you must do to defeat certain enemies, has a delay of about one and a half seconds. That doesn't sound like a lot, but when you're in a small room surrounded by quick enemies who are attacking you, it's a lifetime. I often took large amounts of damage that I don't feel I deserved, because I was switching modes.

Problems 2 and 3 could have been resolved very easily if they just modified the control scheme slightly. My solution would be to allow for use of the nunchuck and its analog stick, like in Zelda: Twilight Princess, which would allow Samus to move more freely in her new 3D platforming environment, and to dedicate a button (B, maybe?) for switching between 3rd person and 1st person. I'm about halfway through the game, and I'm enjoying it somewhat, but I don't think I'll revisit this one anytime soon. It's really not deserving of the Nintendo first party label.
on February 27, 2015
I have played all Metroid games at this point. Other M is a throwback to the original type of Metroid game that came before the Prime series. You control Samus from a third person perspective in a 3D type world. The structure is smaller than the Prime worlds or even the Super Metroid game but the visuals are great. What is not working for Other M is the story. There is way too much story, attempts at character development, and it drags the game play down tremendously.
on February 17, 2016
I have always been and will always be a fan of the Metroid games. This game however didn't quite do it for me. The story seemed good but the clunky camera angles and controls were just to much for me to fully enjoy this game. I played maybe 4 hours and never went back.
on March 26, 2016
The odd angles, subpar camera, and overly difficult puzzles with little direction makes this game really uncomfortable to play on the Wii. Any other console it wouldn't be too big an issue but the Wii's controls are too basic for what they wanted you to do. It got ridiculous pretty rapidly and neither my brother nor I could play very far. Far from the best Metroid game but it's not bad from what I've seen of it.
on October 17, 2013
I always pick up games very quickly, but this one didn't stick. The controls are clunky, the cut scenes are slow and uninteresting, and the level design is too linear and requires too much back-tracking. This game does not have the ethereal quality of Metroid Prime, and feels much lower quality. I was disappointed.
on January 4, 2012
Before I even got the game, the word was out: this game stinks. At best it was a disappointment. That's what everyone seemed to be saying, anyway. Sure, there was a voice poking through every now and again saying it was actually pretty good, but they would get shot down by the more vocal "It Stinks!" group. I got the game anyways, figuring "It's Metroid. It can't be that bad."

And you know what, it really wasn't. Was it the great return to Super Metroid gameplay style Wii fun I was hoping for? The kind of thing that complemented Super Metroid the way New Super Mario Bros Wii complemented those early Mario platformers? No. In fact, there's a lot annoying with Other M. I would read all the gripes about it and think, "That's a good point," and nod my head at what everyone was saying.

Yet I kept coming back to it, wanting to play it. I actually liked the story. The story was interesting and kept me staying with it to see what would happen. The EXECUTION of the story was the flaw. The melodramatics, yeah, that was a problem. The way the story handcuffed the open exploration that Metroid was known for, that hurt the game. The long cut scenes when I just wanted to blast away at weird alien lifeforms annoyed. I would argue that of all those flaws, the worst one was the fact that, as I alluded to, the story is told in such a way that it drives the game play to where it needs to go to keep the story flowing. That door you could go down and explore off the beaten path in previous Metroid games? Locked. Previous pathways are taken away from you as the story keeps pushing you in the direction it needs you to go to keep its beats going. This is where the Prime games were brilliant, you discovered the story as you went along, whereas Other M forces it down your throat.

The gameplay itself, I don't have much of a problem with. You run, jump and shoot and it feels natural enough. It depends on if you like the auto aim mechanic and I didn't mind it too much. If it took away my ability to shoot the thing that posed the most danger, it would be a problem, but I didn't find that to happen very much, if at all. It was a bit awkward to go from first person to third person to shoot missiles. The "concentrate" to restore your missiles and health was lame.

The boss fights were challenging, but after the majesty of the Prime boss fights, they felt a little lacking. The game does hold your hand quite a bit, letting you know where all hidden objects are.

Look, I thought the game was fun. I don't regret picking it up and it kept my interest throughout the run time of the major story mode. It's just not up to Metroid standards. I do appreciate that something different was tried and I think they came close to recapturing the magic. Metroid Prime was a giant departure from the side scrolling Metroids of yore, but it still had that same magic.

In the end, the thing that keeps the game down is the fact that it got away from the fundamentals of Metroid gameplay: the isolated open world exploration. Yes, in the end when you're done with the story, the world opens up for exploration, but it's too little, too late.

It's a fun game that people are probably too hard on, but that's because they expect the best from the franchise, and this game did not deliver "the best". Instead of recapturing the glory of Super Metroid, it plays more like a watered down Metroid Fusion (and I liked Fusion) with a character backstory a lot of people didn't want.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.