Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 303 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 460 reviews
on July 25, 2013
I really liked the action in this game. I liked how they gave Samus excellent melee & finishing moves. The weapons were good as usual like they were in past Metroid games. I really enjoyed the boss battles. The graphics looked great to me, even in 2013. The controls were done well for the most part. I like the idea and feeling of switching between 3rd and 1st person. In first person mode I had fun blasting enemies with missiles, charge shots, and locking the grappling hook before swinging back to 3rd person mode. My only issue was not being able to move in first person mode. Scanning large areas was quite a chore. A few of the enemies were tough to lock as well. If there is anyway the possible that they can allow you to move in 1st person mode while still keeping the 3rd person element, I would have given this game 5 plus stars! I really enjoyed the level designs. The sounds were really good. They didn't have the eerie music that I like playing as much as past metroid games. When the music is playing it's great! I personally didn't like how Samus had to get permission to use weapons she already had. She is a bounty hunter that plays by her own rules. I understand that she had to agree to follow her former superior officer's rules to participate in the mission, but she shouldn't have to consult with him when it was life or death or the only way you can advance in the game. The power bomb was the only thing I can see her getting permission on. I can understand why the story irritated many. I didn't mind the emotion of the story. I didn't mind Samus narrating her past at the beginning to set the story line. Samus is a loner bounty hunter and really has no one to interact with. I have to have interaction in my video game story lines. I just got a little annoyed towards the end of the game because of the LONG break in all of the fun and furious action I was having. It took awhile before the action to crank back up. Once it did, It made up for the break in action. I hope the same team works on the next game for the Wii U and really utilizes the game pad. If they improve the story line and first person controls, they will have another hit on their hands!
on May 9, 2015
This... I can’t totally say this is not what I expected because I watched the trailer and some videos, but it’s definitely not the same Metroid most of us are used to. Also we can’t blame it for being different because everybody was going crazy over Prime going the First Person Shooter way, and see how amazing that turned out to be.

Thing is, with Metroid: Other M, the issue isn’t really the gameplay format, which I actually came to like, but (mostly) two things:
- Narrative. The pace is... awkward. It’s not that the voice acting is bad, it’s the tone of the dialogues (more self-monologues than anything). I wish more lively scripts had been used. I felt as if it wasn’t really missing emotions, but emotions-evocative dialogue.
- Length. The game is too short. Or is it that I’ve matured as a gamer and now I eat games for breakfast? Seriously, though, I beat this in three sessions. I would have liked more exploration, less hold-my-hand approach. Oh, and I got the 100% in those three sessions, and I’m not really a hardcore gamer.

All in all, I liked the game. It would be a lie to say otherwise. Sure, there were things I didn’t like, but the gameplay made it more passable.

If you are expecting the full exploration, no hands held approach to Metroid gaming, maybe this is not for you. Still, if you’d like another take at a Metroid game, I wouldn’t discard the possibility of trying this one out.

Enjoy!
on January 15, 2016
A lot of critics talk down on this game because it doesn't meet their expectations of a Metroid game. Just because it's a Metroid game doesnt' mean it has to be played just like the Metroid prime series or 2D scrollers. I think the new combat system was fun and a bit of a refreshing change from the same-old same old. The story is meh, but to be honest I barely got much out of the story from the other titles either so I don't think that's a reason to avoid a game (unless you're only in it for the story, then go on youtube and watch it).
on September 23, 2015
It's a bad Metroid game. The gameplay is really what kills it. Energy tanks are heart pieces, there are no health pickups, Samus has to recharge, you only have 50 missles, you can only use missles in first person, you can't move in first person,there are "Where's Waldo" cutscenes with absolutely no context or hints as to what to do. The dialogue is uneeded and the end of the game has a 25 minute cutscene that you can't skip.
on November 14, 2013
I've been a Metroid fan, well...let me start over. Some of my earliest memories are of playing our NES console with my brothers and sister. Mario and Link and Samus are the three most prominent fictional characters of my childhood, even higher than Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Jesus. Video games were my upbringing, and Metroid has always been my favorite of the bunch. It is dark, brooding, and most importantly, it is fun! Ever since, I've been into this sort of adventure games; ones wherein you collect powerups and boost your character's abilities throughout the game. With Metroid Other M, however, I must admit that I was disappointed with how you go about obtaining new abilities; in this, you're given authorizations to use certain items that you're already equipped with, rather than finding them by solving puzzles and exploring the worlds. In my opinion, this nearly killed the game for me. But quickly I found out there there were still plenty of missile, energy, and bomb expansions to satisfy my desires fulfilled in past Metroid outings. Other M's weakest link, however, is its most unique gimmick: story. Let's face it, it sucks! The rest, however, is great enough to be a part of the series we've all come to know.
on May 26, 2013
Metriod Other M was a fun experience for me. Super Metriod was the first Metriod game I ever had and it was nice to see similarities between the two. This does feel somewhat different that the rest of the titles, but so did the Prime series. This is actually right in between with some 2D and 3D elements. Gamers that complain about not being able to dodge while aiming missiles need to step up their game because I was always able to dodge in the middle of aiming. You simply pull back on the remote so it's not aiming at the screen and tap the d pad. Real simple guys. Team Ninja was given crap about this game and I believe they did an excellent job. Yes Samus sounds mono tone at times but what do you expect a bounty hunter to sound like? All happy and laughing? It's an effective story with one particular surprise that isn't too relevant but definitely clever. I don't want to ruin it. If you liked Metriod at all then you should see this one from beginning to end. If you only like the prime series, then you probably should try Call of Duty or something.
on August 14, 2016
All I ever heard about this game was about how terrible it is. People act like it's the end of days. After a pretty rough first couple of hours with poor characterization, confusing mechanics, and annoying explanation of mundane details, the game completely turns around! The upgrades are fun, the level design is interesting, and for the first time since Metroid Prime 2, I felt like I was playing a real Metroid game. In the end, I loved it, and I consider it a top-tier Metroid game.
on March 27, 2014
Item came in perfect condition, still in the shrink wrap. Very good deal at only 10 dollars, excellent seller. The developers, on the other hand....

The game has some solid action and very good graphics/presentation for the Wii, but the game still has some weird, uncomfortable design choices that would have been easy to fix.
Problem 1: The cutscenes, which can go on as long as 10-15 minutes, cannot be skipped. This is fine if you're interested in the story the first time around, but it really puts a damper on replayability. Would it really have been so hard to add a "skip cutscene" option?
Problem 2: The only control scheme they let you use is the sideways Wiimote (without nunchuck). It's really annoying to try and move your character in 3 dimensions with a D-pad instead of an analog stick.
Problem 3: Well, it's not entirely true that the sideways Wiimote is the *only* control scheme you use. Occasionally you have to point the Wiimote at the screen, which changes the perspective from a 3D platforming game (reminiscent of the 2D sidescrollers like Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion) into a first person shooter, like the popular Metroid Prime series. It's an interesting way to pay tribute to the Metroid franchise's rich heritage by combining gameplay styles, but here's the problem: Switching to first person, which you must do to defeat certain enemies, has a delay of about one and a half seconds. That doesn't sound like a lot, but when you're in a small room surrounded by quick enemies who are attacking you, it's a lifetime. I often took large amounts of damage that I don't feel I deserved, because I was switching modes.

Problems 2 and 3 could have been resolved very easily if they just modified the control scheme slightly. My solution would be to allow for use of the nunchuck and its analog stick, like in Zelda: Twilight Princess, which would allow Samus to move more freely in her new 3D platforming environment, and to dedicate a button (B, maybe?) for switching between 3rd person and 1st person. I'm about halfway through the game, and I'm enjoying it somewhat, but I don't think I'll revisit this one anytime soon. It's really not deserving of the Nintendo first party label.
on March 24, 2013
Not a good direction for the series... Better for those who seek action without requiring a lot of skill, and who enjoy frustrating hunts for very specific and non obvious triggers to move to the next area.

Storyline has taken a major step backwards as well.

This is the ONLY one in the series I haven't liked or finished, with the exception of Metroid Prime: Hunters, which I also didn't care for - and I think this is the spiritual successor to that, so take that to heart.

This game has taken everything I loved about the Metroid series and thrown it aside in favor of a more "halo" style story, and impressive looking action that requires no skill. Gone is the magic of exploration that made the series so truly great.

Samus was always best as a silent protagonist... Maybe I'm just getting older, but if this is the road the series will go down, I'm done.
on February 25, 2013
I never really played the Prime Games, so I cant completely compare this game to it, but I know more or less how different this is from the Prime Games. I remember seeing the launch trailer for this game, and was completely anticipating this game, though I never got it. A few years later I picked it up, and this game isn't really as bad as people say it is, though it isn't fantastic. The game does a few things right, and a few things wrong.

Gameplay: I think the gameplay is really unique. The game is a 2-D/3-D platformer. It kind of reinvents the feeling of the traditional Metroid, which I really like.

Controls: You hold the Wii mote sideways to play the game, so you have the D-Pad to move around. It works okay, but sometimes shooting enemies is very tricky, and the controls can make it a bit sluggish. Also when you have to look into first-person perspective, you turn the Wii remotes to have the top part face your sensor bar. This makes fighting bosses extremely irritating.

Graphics: The graphics are actually pretty good, not "just" for a Wii game. There are some parts where the graphics are a little blurry, but overall the game looks great, especially during cut scenes.

Story: The story is what was make it or break it for most people I think. I really like the presentation of the game, with all the Cinematic cut scenes. I also really liked that they tried to give Metroid more of a story line. However for what the story is, it isn't all that great. The game makes Samus portrayed as helpless somewhat. Im glad they didn't try to present her as a know-it-all badass. but making her a helpless girl doesn't help much either.

Overall the game is pretty good, I think. I don't think the game was worth it buying it brand new, but now you can get this game for like $5+, so its a good deal.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.