Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 85 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 109 reviews
on October 21, 2015
This movie has just the bare minimum of stuff in it to actually qualify as a movie. At it's core, it's a crass and cynical advertisement for Tae Kwon Do. But it also has the same heart of a 'we are actually trying to make a movie' movie. Which is the state of mind that all good bad movies come from. And I'm happy to say this movie falls on the right side of good bad.

The plot revolves around a group of orphaned TKD exponents who also front a hot band called Dragon Sound, that has sweeped the local club scene. This has caught the attention of a group of cocaine re-appropriating and reselling ninjas, who would have an obvious disdain for the group's hit single 'Fight the Ninja'. The plot is completely irrelevant. This movie is almost entirely made up of loosely slapped together scenes and character moments that play out like an alien once took a high school acting class and decided to make a movie as a result.

Taken as a whole, it's wonderfully bizarre. Filler scenes are allowed to play out uninterrupted. Entire songs are performed, which don't even attempt to advance the plot at all. Meanwhile the actually plot important scenes get either no time, or have weird and nonsensical cuts.

The lead actor is also nearly incomprehensible in some scenes. Although, to be fair, in this movie the dialogue hardly matters. What's important that ninjas are mad at a rock band.

For being an old lost 80's movie, the transfer doesn't look too bad. Some scenes suffer from film grain, but it's not too bad. I'm actually surprised this film is in as good of shape as it's in. The company distributing the movie really did give it a lot of love while restoring it. The audio is also surprisingly crisp. Some of the post ADR effects in the scenes are actually really good. Shockingly good for this type of film.

And the soundtrack is wonderfully 80's cheese. The band in the film has several tracks that play throughout the film, and they are awful in a wonderful way. It's all about friendship, loyalty, and stopping the ninja's senseless killing.

This is definitely a group watch though. While it's a fun bad movie, it doesn't reach the heights as some of the other films from the decade. So it's best with a group of friends to make fun of it.

As it is, it's an interesting little capsule of it's time period. It's all ninjas, rock bands, and stupid cocaine all the way down. If this sounds like a good time to you, then by all means check it out. Bring some friends too, while you are at it.
on November 19, 2016
Now I know, that I'll have a friend through eternity, with loyalty and honesty. We'll stick together through thick or thin, and we'll stay on top because we play to win. Thank you Y.K. Kim.
on April 19, 2015
I am forever grateful to Alamo Drafthouse for finding this film and giving it its newfound life, for if they hadn't I might have gone my whole life never knowing this treasure exists. Honestly, I don't even know where to begin with this. I won't go into the plot as I'm sure others here have gone into it already, but I will echo the five star rating sentiment that this movie is awesome. Oh sure, it is most definitely a "so bad it's good flick" but what's not to love here? We have ruthless cocaine dealing ninjas (who ride around in broad daylight on motorcycles no less), some actually catchy music, street fights involving taekwando, and my personal favorite, memorably bad acting from all involved. I could go on and on here, but I'll keep this short. This is definitely a movie you want to watch with a group of friends, and it's a movie that needs to be seen.
on April 28, 2013
If you like your films cheesy and full of technical errors, you can't go wrong with THE MIAMI CONNECTION. I first read about the appeal of this film in an article in Entertainment Weekly and I just had to buy it. I'm glad I did. You don't get to see very many films this bad and still have a great time in the process. Recommended for all those people who like their 80's flicks colorful and nonsensical. You know who you are!
on October 6, 2015
I had to go through a bit of a trial to get this shipped to Australia but it was worth it. It may be getting a bit overexposed these days due to being so popular but it has a unique storyline and some good music even if it is a bit cheesy. There are tons of quotable lines in the trailer and it has a lot of fun scenes.
on November 13, 2016
Don't rent. Buy.
on October 22, 2015
I actually attended the World Premier of this movie in Orlando back in the 80s and it was terrible. Funny what time can do. Watched it again recently and this time it was so much fun. Yes, it's a "So Bad It's Good" fun, but combined with the 80s nostalgia, somehow it works!
on May 11, 2016
Drafthouse films struck a chord with a modern audience with this random reel find. I still don't know how this movie was ever made. Yes, it's an amateur effort, and it shows. However it bucks many Hollywood traditions and is surprisingly refreshing. Despite the lyrics of the songs, I think it's pretty darn catchy! You'll laugh at the cheesy parts, but it's ridiculously fun overall. Originally I saw the Rifftrax, which mostly makes fun of it, but I liked the movie enough to buy the original.
on January 21, 2017
I didn't expect it to be this much fun! This movie does for Taekwondo what the Donnie Yen Ip Man movies did for Wing Chun. The good guys are really likable with Maurice Smith's performance as Jim being the lovable highlight, and the pacing is decent (they wisely went for action over plot and in this case, it worked). I'm so glad this movie got a second chance; WATCH IT NOW, YOU BE AWFUL GLAD YOU DID XD
on November 8, 2016
I'm still not clear what the story is about. There are ninjas, a rock band that sings songs about friendship and fighting ninjas, a biker gang with a backwoods Axel Rose, and a rival rock band ( I think). This movie is awful in all the best ways.