BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 22, 2013
I have been buying and testing "cheap" speakers for a long while now. And 99% of the time you get what you pay for. Only the Dayton B652's had ever given more then the expected BUT required a high volume to sound good and didn't work in a desktop environment because they are still BIG speakers. These on the other hand with their 4" drivers and smaller, ported boxes not only fit on a desk and look nicer but with an actual crossover network inside provide WAY better response then anything I have heard in this size speaker even up to four times the price!

They don't require much power but I recommend something a little better then a Lepai 20wpc T-amp. The 50wpc Audiosource AMP-100 is would be my first choice but I had them hooked to my Behringer A500 amplifier (monster) for review and I could take the gain to half and these things handled it fine up to 100db+ at the listening position. The more power you can give the better the low end will perform, to a point. If you can pair these with an 8 or 10 inch powered sub I say do it and want for nothing.

The Build quality is up to par with any ~$100-200 speakers and the magnetic grills are a great addition. I actually preferred the wood grain finish of the standard MB42's vs the Matte of these new speakers but that isn't even close to a deal breaker. The 5-way binding posts on the back STILL don't fit a standard two piece Banana plug so you will need single banana terminals or to wire to the screw posts.

The packaging is more than adequate to protect in shipping and although it doesn't come with anything more then a pamphlet and some stick-on silicone feet I don't think you need anything else with your speakers. If you buy wire I never run smaller then 16ga (note: 14ga is bigger then 16ga).

I'd use these for just about ANY indoor sound application. Desktop use, commercial sound (hang in a restaurant or garage), use them for dedicated rear channel speakers in a home theater or if size is a concern confidently use them for ALL your home theater channels instead of looking at Bose or other boutique mini-speaker brands. Just buy three sets and go with a 6.1 or keep a spare and run 5.1. It will still be cheaper and FAR FAR better sounding then any Home theater in a box setup even with only a $120 Dayton or Polk subwoofer thrown in.

My video review for anyone interested http://youtu.be/tCCNXl4I5U4 and feel free to comment any questions you have. I love these things.
2424 comments| 328 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2017
 I purchased these little speakers thanks to the many positive reviews, and I have to add my own. I bought these speakers to replace another set of bookshelf speakers that I use in my workshop; one of those speakers fell off its wall perch and was damaged (blown out), so I needed a replacement.

Now, I'm no audiophile, and I'm really not that picky. But I like my music to sound good, and crisp and clear. I'm sure my shop, with all hard surfaces, wood, and concrete, is hardly the ideal place to highlight sound quality of any speaker, but they sound terrific.

Between the written reviews and one review that posted a video (aka audio) of these speakers in use (this was very helpful to me and totally sold me on the speakers), I bought them after only a few minutes' research. The attractively low price was the clincher, and frankly, these sound far better than the price would suggest.

They were just what I was looking for, and as good as most of the reviews suggested. I grew up in the 70s when you needed big huge speakers to get decent sound. Looking back, I can't believe the money I wasted on such things. Now, almost any inexpensive speaker will fit the bill, but I'm very pleased with these.
on January 18, 2017
This speaker is fantastic. I have it placed directly below my TV and paired it with the Micca MB42X bookshelf speakers and I couldn't be happier, especially for the price! I have read many reviews from people that say you can use these as bookshelf speakers as well, and I can certainly see why you could do that with the size and power of this. I'm sure it would be louder and give you more "boom" if you do that, but the sound quality with the bookshelf speakers is great as is.

Also, the look of this speaker is amazing. It has the look of a high end center speaker for a fraction of the cost. When I have my receiver set to a movie mode, all dialogue comes through this center speaker and it is clear and plenty loud.

Very happy with my purchase and decision to go with Micca speakers!
on July 10, 2017
Good, small bookshelf speakers that sound a little bright at times and lack the bass of their "little brother", the Micca Club 3 speakers. They are more efficient and a have a tad less harsh sound than the Club 3's, but if one has the amplifier power (at least 40 to 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms resistance) my choice of the two is the Micca Club 3 speakers. The bass from the Club 3's is much better than from the Micca MB42X speakers and they sound like a speaker double their size when supplied with sufficient amplifier power. Both are very good speakers for their price, but I prefer the Club 3's over the MB42X speakers.
on November 16, 2016
The only con is that it's a fairly large unit. But the pro is that it puts out BIG sound! If it will fit where you want it, buy it...if it won't fit where you want, buy it anyway and adapt your space accordingly! I was surprised how good this sounds based on the price and a new no-name (yet!) manufacturer, but the results have been great at low and high volume levels, low watts to 100 watts RMS. You can probably under power these and blow them out, but the more watts they get the happier they seem to be.
on January 9, 2016
I bought this speaker for a center channel setup on a 5.1 system. I was lucky and picked it up on sale for $21. I also brought the crossover from the mica website and installed it. The process to install was very simple and it cost me $41 all together with extra xover. It was a great deal and sounds good. Of course the speaker is not full bass but I have not had any center speaker that was. It does have a good amount of bass for vocals and mixed with a subwoofer it is a perfect match. I would have even tried 2 for stereo setup with a sub but without a sub I would not expect room pounding bass. I would think this would be obvious but I seen some reviews saying not bassy enough and I just wanted to make note.

It is a great deal on sale and even sounded good before the xover was installed. The xover just helps direct the frequencies better to the speakers that can handle that particular frequency and removes it from the ones that cannot handle those particular frequencies but it did sound good without it also. If you need a speaker I would recommend this and on sale it is like a steal. I could not be happier for the price I paid and quality.

I had a really small cube for a center before this but this speaker sounds better and carries a great range for center sound. Just don't expect pounding bass.
on June 23, 2013
This is an easy 5 stars -- these are solid-sounding bookshelf speakers with the sound and sonic satisfaction of a much bigger (and more expensive) set. And they cost what I'd pay for a meal out with the wife. I am surprised at the strength of the bass and delighted with the soundstage and incredible clarity of the mids and highs.

I, too, read the reviews here on Amazon and so took a chance on a brand I was unfamiliar with -- and, after listening to rock, jazz, and clasical favorites, promptly ordered two more sets of these speakers! I paired each set with the $21 Lepai LP2020A+ amplifier (also from Amazon -- read the reviews!) and, by god, I have a trio of bonafide high-quality hi-fi systems now in the study, in the kitchen, and the third one as a gift for my daughter. Who figures on a genuine hi-fi sound and quality system for around $75??! I am used to excellent sound through my Yamaha receiver and Paradigm speakers fed by a NAD CD player or one of my iPods or iPhone (all either Apple Lossless or MP3s ripped at 320 bitrate). Good sound is a must and once you're used to quality reproduction there's no going back. These well-constructed bookshelf speakers did not let me down. This morning we were listening to a Bill Evans jazz album fed from my iPod Classic from the kitchen setup while eating breakfast: Bliss!

In a nutshell, this is one of those little life surprises that give you the giggles and make you happy at your good fortune; it's like I stumbled upon a trove of sonic treasure all by accident. I can see hooking these up to an old receiver lying around in the garage, or as a duo of rear speakers in a 5.1 home AV system (heck, I can see using them as front speakers too) and being astounded at the richness of sound. Add a sub and a center speaker for dialog and you'd spend considerably less than most any other combination for a high-caliber 5.1 home theater system.

OK, enough gushing... Buy a set for less than 60 bucks and call my bluff if you want. You won't be disappointed. An iPod/iPhone/Droid device plugged into the Lepai amp or your receiver and outputting into these speakers will make you giddy.
55 comments| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2017
Ok, so this speaker rocks and I totally abused it and overpowered it and now its blown and no longer works!!! Im still giving it 5 stars because it handled 130 watts RMS from my Onkyo RZ-810 receiver at + 12db volume for almost 3 months straight for hours on end everyday! Not sure what RMS is for the Micca, but its rated at 100 watts max, so im guessing its probably around 40-60 watts RMS. I jammed almost triple that RMS wattage to this little speaker and it sounded great!....I have a blown speaker and need to find something which can handle the power, but this thing is great if you treat it right.
on June 18, 2017
I've had these for 4 months now. They replaced a very good Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia system. These, paired with an 8 inch Dayton sub blow the Klipsch system away. If you are looking to step up from a prepackaged computer speaker system then look no further. I found them to be a bit lacking in bass themselves, hence the additional sub. Clarity is phenomenal. I can hear so many more details even when listening to lossy sound sources like Spotify. I do recommend FLAC files for PC use but everything will sound better.
Last night I sat down at my computer and listened to some music, turned to my wife and said, my speakers sound amazing. I'm still amazed by how good they are after 4 months. I thought they would sound normal to me now I am used to them but instead they continue to surprise me.
on June 12, 2015
Over the past few months I have been on a quest for the best budget audiophile bookshelf speaker system. So far I have tested the Fluance SX6's, Dayton Audio B652's, B652-AIR's and these MIcca MB42X's. The Micca are an incredible value and one of my top picks.

DESIGN

Some would call the design of MB42X's understated, boring even, but it's not terrible. They are your typical MDF speaker boxes with a flat, vinyl black coating. The 3.5 woofers step the look up a bit with carbon fiber. The tweeters are behind a vinyl dome and look nice as well. ONe of my favorite design elements is the magnetic speaker covers-which snap into place with a satisfying 'pop' sound. The MB42X's certainly won't win any design awards, but their understated design will look nice on most desks or speaker stands.

One final note about their design, I really like the fact that they accept banana plugs. I'm not a huge fan of the spring-type wire jacks on most cheaper speaker (e.g. the Daytons). I was able to easily fit Aurum double-screw-type banana plugs into these speakers. This touch just makes the speakers seem a little more expensive than they actually are.

SOUND

This is the reason we spend hours researching the internet reading reviews such as this one. What does this speaker sound like? Is it worth dropping the asking price on it? With the MB42X's the answer is an emphatic "YES!" To date I have not heard speakers that sound this good for less than $100, let along $80! They have beautifully crisp highs and get quite low for their size. I was able to get them down to 40Hz with a little distortion, but 50Hz was absolutely spot on! I was amazed at the lows they could produce for such a small speaker with only a 3.5" woofer. I think the fact that they are ported helps a lot here. I had mine about 12" from the wall and I found that was about a close as one would want them in order to get the most out of their woofer and port.

Where these types of speakers usually fail is in the mid range. Since they are basically a tweeter with a small sub they often struggle to produce accurate mid-range frequency. Although not perfect the Micca's are one of the better mid-range producing speakers I've heard for this price. Vocals are clear and smooth while tenner and baritone instruments really shine with accurate reproduction. As I type this I am listening to "Born To Run" by The Boss and Bruce's voice sounds like I imagine it would if I was in the studio. The tenner sax is clear and fills my 12x14' bedroom.

Beyond this, the MB42X's produce and amazing soundstage. When I played "Royals" by Postmodern Jukebox Scott Bradlee's voice sounds like it is coming from center stage. The band sounds as if it is behind him with the piano on back right and the drum kit on back right. I can close my eyes and just imagine I am at a Postmodern Jukebox concert! Pretty impressive for a speaker of this size and price.

The MB42X's aren't perfect thought. They don't get as loud as speakers with a larger woofer and box. Some may feel that they don't push the decibels as much as they would like. I am quite happy with their volume. They fill my 12x14' room with plenty of wall-shaking sound.

CONCUSSION

If you have $80 to spend on bookshelf speakers the Micca MB42X's should be on the top of your list. Don't be fooled by their size, they sound a bigger than they actually are. Out of all the bookshelf speakers I've testes so far the Fluance SX6's are my favorite, but these are VERY close second. If you don't need extreme volume save a few bucks and pick up the MB42X's.