Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Michael Palin's Around the World in 80 Days
Format: DVD|Change

on November 22, 2017
His series are the best ever, I've turned a lot of people on to his programs
on January 7, 2013
It is good. I have got four of these Palin travelogues now. I love them all. It starts off richly enough, but you can imagine that when you get to the Pacific Ocean heading for California and America it might get a little slow. My other complaint is that rather short thrift is given to America in an effort to beat the deadline and get back to the start point there in London. It is a cool idea to try and stick to the "80 Days" - but the story suffers a bit adhering to this requirement. I don't think audiences would've been that upset! But you do find yourself rooting for them to make it. Quite an adventure. You should go too!
on January 15, 2015
Michael Palin's first travel video --- filled with his quirky humor and easy going pace. He does it so you do not have to!
He goes into off beat areas to show a different side of the places he passes through for some unexpected adventures.
For example, he uses his spare time in Venice to help out the canal travelling garbage men! His great humor is always present and you get some nice insight into the kindness of people around the globe.
on March 15, 2008
Around the World marks the beginning of Palin's prolific new career as travel host. He is less confident than in some of the later series, but he has an infectious energy that really comes through. Some of the passages overland and on the sea are fascinating looks at anachronistic modes of travel. Palin is maybe the best travel host ever to appear on the tele. He is funny, yet always respectful and always smiling (so important when traveling). His voice over narration is just perfect. Only criticism is that this series is a bit dated - the video quality ain't so great and the places he visits have changed enough since then that it feels slightly irrelevant - but that's only a relative criticism.

Update: After watching 80 Days countless times over the past 2 years, I can now say this is one of my favorite travel series of all time. It is a one-of-a-kind and I never tire of it. Love the nervous energy of it.
on January 20, 2008
I watched this mini-series almost 2 decades ago when it was aired on
BBC. Today I own the DVD. The world has changed a lot since Palin's
journey, especially China and India. Some of Palin's comments do not
reflect modern times. But his adventures will always be relevant
regardless of time.

I more than agree to all the appreciation this series has received from
the reviewers here. My only criticism is Palin gives undue importance to
the traces of british legacy that he observes in the great cultures of
Egypt, India and Hong Kong. But his down-to-earth attitude and sense of
humor more than make up for his nostalgia about british empire.

The challenges faced by Michael Palin are different from those faced by
Phileas Fogg, but it makes a gripping journey. Overall great concept,
great presentation and excellent background score.
on October 22, 2007
Michael Palin really found his calling in playing the slightly adventurous Englishman willing to roam the world for the BBC. With equal parts wonder and humor, he's a rare mix. In this first outing, the story is all about time. The deadline forces him to really race and struggle and imparts a drama that is largely missing from later excursions. His instant fondness for anything pleasant, no matter how un-English, is wonderful. The rather sour ending is unfortunate (In America, he is told an apocryphal story about a train toilet and, in England, is rejected by ordinary folks and the exclusive club at the heart of the adventure), but is handled so well that it is part of what makes this travelog great.
on May 22, 2016
I had owned this on VHS back in the 1980s, so I was very happy to find it on Amazon on DVD. I was happy to share it with my husband and son who loved watching it as much as I do.
on May 29, 2013
So I watched this when I was in college (yeah I am old), and the Leda Maersk stuck with me all this time. As I was setting out on my own "Around the World" journey, what better time to hunt down a copy and enjoy Michael Palin. His adventures and the people he meets still ring true more than two decades later, I only wonder how his trip would have changed had he had a smart phone or even a cell phone.
on April 29, 2014
I had the pleasure of watching this on PBS in the early 90s, and was amazed to find it on DVD! The first of Palin's well-documented treks across the globe, this series started it all, and remains in my mind the best of them. Well worth it!
on December 3, 2014
I watched this show years ago and thought it was excellent. My opinion has not changed.