Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 112 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 152 reviews
on January 26, 2010
Overview

Fantastic design and feel for the keyboard. Great key action, it's very similar to the Microsoft ComfortCurve keyboard in layout and key motion. High responsiveness could be used for games although it is certainly not built as robustly as a gaming keyboard. Bluetooth connectivity is a problem from time to time and turn-on delay can be significant after it goes into power-save mode (sleep state). Wonderfully small form-factor fits perfectly inside my smaller laptop bag that houses my ultra-portable 13-inch-screen ASUS UL30VT.

Build Quality and Design: 8 out of 10

The entire external shell of this keyboard is made out of plastic. The bottom is white, not silver or black. I would prefer a silver colored bottom if an accent color was necessary, or just a continuation of black. The top shiny black bar of trim sucks up fingerprints easily but is also easily wiped off. The black area immediately surrounding the keys has a rubberized texture to it like many Logitech mice have. Time will tell if this coating will rub off or not, but it feels robust enough to hold up to lots of use.

If twisted while grabbing the edges, the keyboard flexes a bit. Since it's so thin I would expect this. It does not feel fragile, but this isn't your father's old IBM weapons-grade keyboard. The smaller edge is almost axe-like although not sharp, it does end in a nice blunted taper. This small leading edge along the palm entirely eliminates the need for a wrist rest of any kind. It has exceptional ergonomics if used on a desk or flat surface. Easily one of the most comfortable keyboards I've used.

Contents of Box: 9 out of 10

The product box is surprisingly small and has a nice weight to it.

Other than the keyboard and the 10-key keypad there is a protective pouch for the keypad that is made out of a gray denim material included in the box. The pouch material isn't particularly amazing and the color choice seems odd since it matches nothing on the product, but at least there's something to put the keypad in. There is no such cover for the keyboard included in the box, and I haven't seen one sold as an accessory.

There are three AAA Energizer batteries in the box. The first round of batteries is on Microsoft. They are difficult to locate since they are tucked in a small white box wedged into the efficient packaging.

The oddly folded "Getting Started" manual is understandable enough and has more languages than I ever would have guessed was required.

Function: 10 out of 10

The keyboard can be used without ever using or connecting the keypad. Or just the keypad can be used without the keyboard, for those in need of an expensive 10-key solution. Each device registers as its own Bluetooth device. The keyboard responsiveness is great, even good enough to play FPS games with from 10-feet away. Although I can't say this is a gaming keyboard it could work for that purpose.

The on-off switch is perfect for shoving this keyboard into a laptop bag. But it does add some conscious effort on the part of the user. If the physical switch is not shut it off when the keyboard is shoved into a laptop bag the keys will inevitably get pressed and batteries will not last.

Connectivity: 5 out of 10

It takes a long time to wake up from a sleep state. I've measured as much as 5-10 seconds. One time so far the keyboard never woke up at all after going into sleep mode. I had to cycle the power switch on the bottom of the keyboard to reconnect the device. I find this unacceptable for the price tag. It's related to the Bluetooth technology, which I still have not seen work as flawlessly as the industry claims. That considered, I've used a few RF wireless keyboards that loose keystrokes and have been unreliable. I would take this keyboard over any of those units. As far as choosing the lesser of two evils I'd go with this Bluetooth unit over the RF devices I've used any day.

Most laptops ship with Bluetooth built in but might not have that connection turned on. There will be no extra hardware needed to connect this device to such laptops. Desktop systems do NOT usually have Bluetooth built in and will require a Bluetooth USB adapter. That adapter can be found anywhere from $8 to $25 depending on where they are purchased. Keep that extra expense in mind if you intend to use this for a desktop system.

Score: 4 out of 5

I had to subtract one point for the sometimes frustrating connectivity that afflicts all Bluetooth devices, this one included. Otherwise this keyboard is solid, designed well and functions great.
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2014
Microsoft has made some nifty keyboards in the past and this is no exception. It's very small, but with full sized keys. Looks very slick too. Once it's all up and running the keys are responsive and comfortable to use. All in all this would have been the perfect keyboard for me if it wasn't for a couple drawbacks.

Bluetooth is a great technology, but only if your computer can fire it up before login. Unfortunately mine couldn't. More often than not I was not able to enter my password because the Bluetooth driver didn't appear to be loaded when I first turn on my computer. This seems sporadic and to be honest it's more me and my system's limitations than the keyboard's. However it is a reason why I couldn't love it. Another problem that should affect the rest of you is battery life. I can't recall exactly how long the battery lasted on this thing, but I had to change them out twice over the course of the year. I never had that issue with a wireless keyboard before. Maybe the is Bluetooth transmitting even when you aren't keying?

I really wish I could have kept this keyboard. I really loved the look and feel of it; not to mention the compact size. However the issues I came across outweighed all that. You may not have to worry about the issues did, but I felt you should at least be aware of them.
on December 16, 2010
Straight out of the box, this is a phenomena; keyboard. The packaging was intuitive, the setup was intuitive, and it's very easy to use. I was considering several other bluetooth keyboards (in my experience, bluetooth has better connectivity/reliability than 2.4 RF devices), and from a price and space perspective, this keyboard seemed to be the best option, and I wasn't wrong. In reading some of the other reviews, three complaints seemed to be prevalent: the key layout/size is awkward, wake-up time is slow/unacceptable, and there aren't many secondary key options. On the first complaint, the key layout is a little awkward at first, but one quickly gets used to it. Frankly, this complaint seemed overly nitpicky. Any new input device takes getting used to, and the curve to the keyboard is a more natural position for your hands to be in.
The second claim in the reviews was that the wake-up time was excessive. I've had the keyboard for several days now, and have used it in a lot of common applications: word processing, web browswers, spread sheets, e-mail, etc. About the only application I haven't used it in is gaming, but for everything else it worked fine. There is about a 1 second wake up time after more than ~10 minutes of inactivity, but it's more of a key delay than a funciontal delay. After the keyboard has gone to sleep, resume typing, and all the keystrokes are recognized, they just don't show up for a second or two. Bottom Line, WAKE UP TIME IS NO BIG DEAL! Some reviewers act as if they can make a cup of coffee in the time it takes for the keyboard to wake up, and that is just not true in my experience.
Third, some complain about the lack of accessory keys on the keyboard. True, this keyboard does lack a lot of the accessory keys my previous keyboard had, but frankly, I never used them anyway. It does have volume keys, mute, and most of the other standard keys on a basic keyboard, and if you know the shortcuts for Word, and have a multibutton mouse, you're pretty much set.
Bottom line, this is a great keyboard, with great feel and design. It's incredibly slim, and so you can stick it in a drawer or alongside your desk to get it out of the way. The key orientation takes a little time to use, but isn't an overly large obstacle. Wake up time is very quick (1-2 seconds), and it has pretty much every key you'd use on a daily basis. The included number pad is also a huge bonus over other bluetooth keyboards, and while not essential, is nice for the occasional data entry task. Give this keyboard a try, and if you don't like, becuase of the intuitive packaging that you don't have to destroy to open the product, you can easily return it. Best of all, it's $50.00, while a comparable logitech keyboard is more than three times the cost.
on January 10, 2012
To the people who complain about bluetooth wakeup times or slight lag: those exist in the apple bluetooth keyboard also. Also, input lag is far less than other keyboards I've tried, such as the verbatim folding bluetooth keyboard.

Basically, the difference between this and the apple product is that

1. it is largely plastic while the apple keyboard is aluminum. This depends on your taste, since aluminum is sleek, but also cold to the touch

2. larger by about 30%

3. uses AAA batteries as opposed to AA

4. is ergonomic. I like ergonomic, personally.

5. Is about half the price of the apple keyboard.

6. key travel is longer than the apple keyboard.

As for various multimedia functions or home keys, they kind of don't matter because you don't have a mouse to manipulate the device with. You're going to have to touch the device anyways, and it is used mainly for typing.

I like it.
on October 22, 2015
Its been Years since I have purchased this keyboard.I don't know if even they still make this model Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard any more.
Any way I love the keyboard and I have used it on 4 different tablets and 3 desktops computers. It still looks and feels great has no known quirks.
I bought a high dollar tablet recently and I purchased a so called keyboard supposedly made specifically for the tablet and was a real dud.So I pulled out the old Microsoft 6000 and it acts like it should belong to it. Any way it still has a good feel to the keys and its still doesn't lag and pairs quickly and stays with it even if the tablet sleeps. Bottom line it was one of my better bang for my buck purchases. Hope yours last as long.
BTW my batteries have lasted as long as a year with this keyboard. I am a Logitech man when it comes to keyboards and mice, but this little gem has held up very well.
VINE VOICEon February 5, 2012
I'm satisfied with this keyboard kit.

Both keyboards work well with my 13" Macbook pro.

They also work great with my iPhone and iPad running iOS 5.

I was surprised that both my iPhone 4S, and first generation iPad, were able to pair to two bluetooth devices at once. My iPhone and iPad can play bluetooth audio and pair with both keyboards at the same time. The tab keys and arrow keys work as expected in iPhone mail, iWork, and Documents to go. I can arrow and tab between email fields and spreadsheet cells. My iPhone office software is suddenly much more useful. The volume and mute keys even work with the iPhone and iPad.

The key feel, feedback, and travel is more like a larger desktop keyboard than a Macbook keyboard. The feel is more substantial than the Apple "chiclet" keyboard. The keys have nice travel and feel. The odd ergonomic shape is not difficult to type with.

I wouldn't call it a compact keyboard, but it is light and relatively thin. You could travel with both, but I only travel with the number pad. It's nice to have them separate so I have the option.

Pairing with Mac OSX and iOS is easy. You put the KB in pairing mode, select the keyboard, and type a few characters to complete pairing. On the Mac, a "keyboard setup assistant" will pop up and tell you it isn't paired, but this message is just wrong. Simply close the message and use the KB.

I love the number pad, which is the main reason I bought this KB kit. It's small enough to fit in my compact laptop bag and is very convenient. Waking it is not really an issue for me like with other reviewers. To wake it after a period of inactivity, just type on it.

Mine was shipped quickly by a marketplace seller and is a "used-like new" item, which saved me a bundle. A great product at the regular price and a great value if you find a discounted used item. I love buying used from marketplace sellers because the transaction is backed by Amazon.

I only have two negatives which prevented me from awarding it a five-star review.

The first negative is the fact that it only stays paired with one bluetooth device at once. I have two computers, and iPhone, and an iPad which I would like to use these with. When I switch between devices I must pair them again.

The second negative, or neutral item, is build quality. The build quality is good but not great. It's a plastic keyboard and feels like one. The on-off switch and pairing button on the back are ridiculously tiny and difficult to operate. Build quality is only about 3-star. I'd pay $20 more for an Apple-quality item, but Apple doesn't offer a number pad like this one. I read tons of reviews before buying and this seems to be the only reliable wireless keypad available for Macs.

If you ever wish you had a number pad on your mac, buy it. If you ever wish you had a keyboard for your smartphone, buy it. I'm really surprised I don't see these more often. It's a great product for modern mobile computing.
I'll tell you I bought this keyboard for my new desktop that replaced the one that was blown up by a lightning strike. I wanted a clean uncluttered look.

At the end of the day this keyboard did not work with that machine because it has a x64 bit Windows 7 and try as I might, I could not get it to connect. I wound up getting a Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard with Backlighting...the backlighted logitech goes better with my Alienware anyway.

So I almost returned this keyboard but I was setting up an office at work and took this keyboard in. It gave my desk a very uncluttered look because the lack of wires. It connected to my laptop no problems. I love it.

On the wakeup thing that people keep slamming this keyboard for. Yes it takes about 5 seconds for the keyboard to first wakeup when I first bring my laptop up in the morning. All day it's very responsive and there is no delay. 5 seconds at the beginning of the morning is a very small price to pay for not having yet another USB dongle with sticking out of my laptop.

The other thing I'll say is that I've been using this keyboard daily for over a month and it's still using the same original batteries and I type a lot so that's another plus.

The keys feel great, good range a motion for such a thin keyboard and I love that the numberpad can be placed off to the side and I can bring it out when I turn on Excel.

I LOVE THIS KEYBOARD!

If I'm guessing right, this keyboard will be worth four times what I paid for it in 3 years when it can no longer be found.
on November 29, 2012
I was looking for a bluetooth keypad for my desk to reduce clutter. The number pad works great but I put it in my closet because I usually just use the keys on the keyboard. I type about 60 words per minute and no delays at all. What you type is what comes out on screen. I was a little worried at first about the curve shape but turns out I can type AT LEAST as fast as I did before- possibly a bit faster. Enough said... I'd buy it over again if I needed too. Glad I made this purchase.

OH! Another reason I like bluetooth is because you can get a blue tooth mouse and have two less cords on your desk (plus you can download files from your cell phone all with only ONE usb port :)

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Follow up from last review. It's now about 4 months that I've had the Microsoft blue tooth keypad and I downgraded it from 5 to 3 stars and will donate it to the Brown Elephant here in Chicago on Halsted. Reason why?... The delay thing did get on my nerves after a while and a friend of mine had the new Logitech with back lights that is SUPER quick with almost zero delay. Like I swear it's weird how it detects your hand getting close so quickly and then lights up. It also comes with rechargeable batteries (usb recharge) and 3 buttons for switching from desktop to iPad to cell phone and you can use the same keypad. Before making a decision on this Microsoft keypad be sure to check out the Logitech back-lit wireless keypad. I just reviewed it there and gave if 5 stars. Awesome product.
on January 29, 2011
No doubt many inquiring about this keyboard are pondering whether it will suffice in service to an ipad. Certainly I was, and decided to give it a whirl. I can testify that on almost all useful points, it will work well to that end.

The keyboard is about 4 inches longer than an ipad, but very light and quite sturdy. Unlike the aluminum shelled Apple bluetooth keyboard, this is plastic-shelled, but is sturdy enough to bridge across my lap as I type away with old fashioned typewriter-strength finger punches. I wanted a lap dog keyboard, not a folding tabletop, so the lack of a hinge in the middle is needful. Yet the board is exceedingly thin, razorlike in complement to even an ipad's thickness.

Another strength is the ergonomic splay of the keys, married to a standard laptop feel which is comfortingly familiar for those of us who prefer laptops of IBM derivation. The keys punch firmly and smoothly. At several feet distance, there is almost no stutter, skipping, nor doubling of characters on the ipad's screen as I type. It's not quite as fast as I type, but very nearly so, and quite fluid. In otherwords, it may as well be a hard-wired keyboard connexion for all I can discern.

The mute and volume keys work immediately with the ipad's music and video. There is no dedicated pause/play button, however.

I type in Chinese and English, so was momentarily worried when I found that the keyboard negates the standard pop-up of the ipad virtual keyboard. According to this site, which has several ipad shortcuts for keyboards, the "eject" key brings up the keyboard. [...] This Microsoft keyboard doesn't have such a key, of course, but found that pressing the Microsoft flag button and the spacebar raises the language IME selector, so no worries there. This Microsoft flag button works, evidently, for all the uses that the Apple keyboards use a little apple key.

The instructions for connecting a bluetooth device were a little obscure for those of us unfamiliar with such things. The power must be on, of course, but the bluetooth button must be pressed and held for several seconds before the green-red colour cycling indicates that the keyboard is available for connexion.

There is a little numberpad which comes along in this package. So far I personally have no use for it, but it seems to work well enough. I did not get it to type in the calculator, so for this usage someone may need to find a calculator app that specifically uses number keys.

Using this keyboard with an ipad is all in all a delight. The slight ergonomic cant of the keys is alone worth choosing this over another keyboard. Unless one demands ultimate portability in a folding keyboard, one really ought to choose a non-folding one for this use. I'm quite happy with the performance and shall happily take the board along when needful.
on December 26, 2012
This wireless keyboard is fantastic. I bought it because I wanted to change the ergonomics of my work station. I owned a previous version of the Microsoft curve keyboard and liked it, so I already knew I'd appreciate the curve of this keyboard. After that consideration, the bonuses were: no attached numeric keypad, and no wires!

I hated having my right arm positioned outside the numeric keypad (on my past keyboards) when using the mouse. This keyboard allows my arm/wrist/hand/etc. to stay within a normal range of motion throughout the day. I quickly found out that in my line of work, the numeric keypad isn't necessary. Also, since it's wireless, it easily goes with me everywhere. I actually throw the whole set in my laptop bag everyday, when travelling to and from work. This way, I use the same keyboard when working at the office, as well as when I work at home. I can pull out the numeric keypad if I really need it, but most of the time, I use the Microsoft Arc wireless mouse, along with this keyboard for a great combination.

The only drawback I've had with this keyboard has to do with the bluetooth connection. I think it's probably my laptop's fault, allowing other signal noise to interfere, but I've had a few situations over the past several months where a key would get stuck - I couldn't get it to stop repeating the key press, even after I stopped. The situations were resolved by turning off and on the bluetooth connection, and even one time, turning off both the computer and keyboard. Again, I think was due to my computer's bluetooth connection and not the keyboard itself, which is why I didn't dock it a star. To preempt these frustrating scenarios, I found that if my computer (and/or keyboard) falls asleep, I wake them up normally, then wait just a minute to ensure that the bluetooth connection is good. Doing that, I've never had problems. I only encountered the sticky key scenario when I woke up the computer, then started typing too fast (typically typing in my password, or typing up a quick email).

One more thing to consider: the HOME key is a little more annoying to access. With the normal, wide keyboards, there is usually a HOME key that is easily accessible. On this keyboard, the HOME key is accessed by pressing the FN key, then pressing the PAGE UP key. It's not a huge deal, but it's worth mentioning.

Overall, this is an awesome keyboard, even considering the potential drawbacks mentioned above. I've been very pleased with it's portability, ergonomics, and responsiveness. It's definitely worth 5 stars!
review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.