Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Inside Out
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 7, 2013
I bought this recently as I was upgrading my company's Exchange environment from 2003 to 2010. I've worked with Exchange Server since 1997 or so, so I'm already familiar with the concepts behind it and how to perform basic tasks, and mostly wanted to brush up since I'd never worked with 2010 before, and hadn't used 2007 for a couple of years. I wanted something that would help guide me through the upgrade process without being a "click here, then click here" workbook that tells me how to do something but doesn't teach me anything. Since then, I've kept it handy as a reference guide

What I like most about this book is that it's written by and from the perspective of someone who does this every day. There's enough detail on what's important, but features that most administrators don't use are either glossed over or omitted entirely. It also strikes a good balance between providing information for administrators of larger multi-server environments and smaller single-server setups like mine. If you're looking for a book on Exchange 2010, look no further: this is the book you want.
on May 16, 2012
I purchased this book because I had previously used Tony's incomparable book on Exchange 2003. I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed. This book is not an administrator's guide, but is an in depth guide for those who want a deep dive on how the product works. I have referred to this book so often while designing our Exchange 2010 infrastructure, that the book is now tattered and I need a new one.

If you are simply trying to fix a problem, you are probably better off pasting the error message into Google. But if you want to become an expert on the internal workings of Exchange 2010, then I would highly recommend this book.
on January 28, 2014
As someone with novice exposure to Exchange, I bought the eVersion thinking it might be over my head. This is so well written, going the extra distance to provide contextual references for beginners and experts alike. It makes sense tho, it is official MS print. If you run Exchange 2010 in your enterprise this need be your only reference. Neat thing I discovered about their publisher is that in either format you purchase for a couple bucks more they will give you a PDF file copy to use. I'm sure this is rampantly abused, but I have found that extra resource useful when I couldn't get to my kindle (app).
on January 3, 2012
I think someone who has never worked with Exchange would be daunted by this book, but this is an excellent resource for everyone else. I worked with versions back to 5.5 and found the comparisons to features in previous versions and highlights of those new to 2010 most beneficial. I feel like I might be able to manage the environment after having read this. If I ever do get stuck, I am pretty sure the answer will be somewhere in this resource.
on February 25, 2013
Exchange is more challenging to support now than it was with 2003. There are so many more components, and the GUI options have been stripped down to a bare minimum, so you are now forced to use Powershell if you want to gather any useful data. Tony Redmond does an awesome job explaining the ins and outs of what you are dealing with. I learned a ton of useful information from this book. Well done
on August 11, 2012
This book will not help if you are looking for quick solutions to get the job done. But if you want to understand how things work internally this is your best choice.
Not quite "what if Mark Russinovich and David Solomon wrote an Exchange book" material, sadly, but it gets closer than any other Exchange book I tried.
Highly recommended.
on May 2, 2013
Even though this book is thick and loaded with tons of information, it's great for looking up subjects you may not be familiar with. I work at Veeam software so I have to know quite a bit about everything really. This thing is great for learning on the fly but not recommended to review for exams.
on July 12, 2011
This is the book I've been looking for, regarding Exchange 2010. I was looking forward to other Exchange 2010 books published by other Presses, and when I finally was able to buy them, I was let down - as the books came up short on material. The MS Press Self-Paced Training Kit - Exam 70-662, was decent (for a change) and the "Exchange Server 2010 Administration: Real World Skills for MCITP" was not bad, but this Exchange 2010 Inside Out is by far the definitive material.
I hope I don't offend anyone by writing this, but this book is to Exchange 2010, what the "MS Exchange 2003 Advanced Administration" by McBee was to Exchange 2003.

If you're weighing your options, get this book first.
on December 27, 2012
I use this book on a daily basis for work and it has helped me with some very odd situations. It is also very nice that there is a dig copy you get so you can put it on a smart phone or tablet.
on March 19, 2014
Very informative. Some tech books are hard to "Read" but this is one of the better ones. will get book for 2013 exchange when we go to it some day.