- Brand Name: Microsoft
- Model Number: JQD-00001
- Keyboard Description: QWERTY
- Color: Black
- Form Factor: Backlit,Anti-ghosting
Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Advanced anti-ghosting capability - Press up to 26 keys simultaneously without ghosting - what you press is what you get!
- Mode switching - Manually toggle from standard mode to one of two gaming modes; LEDs show the mode you select.
- Automatic profile switching - The keyboard detects the application you are running and applies your custom profile to the application.
- Programmable macro keys - Switch among three banks of six programmable macro keys to assign up to 18 macros per profile.
- Backlit keys - Adjust key-legend backlighting with three illumination levels plus "off".
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Manufacturer
A powerful keyboard for serious gamers. The Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard has all the core must-haves for serious gamers, including industry-leading anti-ghosting, a first-ever Repetitive Macro key, in-game macro recording, a full media key set, automatic and manual mode/profile switching, adjustable backlighting for playing in dim conditions, and more. Plus, at the touch of a button, this customizable keyboard-the latest in the award-winning Microsoft SideWinder line-doubles as a high-performance keyboard for everyday computing.
Clean lines and eye-catching shape
Show it off - complement your style.
Lightweight and compact
A perfect fit wherever you use it - here, there, anywhere.
Automatic profile switching
The keyboard detects the application you are running and applies your custom profile to the application.
Programmable macro keys
Switch among three banks of six programmable macro keys to assign up to 18 macros per profile.
In-game Macro Record button
Record a sequence of keystrokes. Macros are stored on your hard drive and can be easily shared.
Automatic macro repetition
Set your macros to repeat.
Access Play/Pause, Previous Track, Next Track, and Mute.
- Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (excluding Windows XP 64-bit)
- 100 MB hard drive space
- Powered USB
Top Customer Reviews
The negative points are few. First, the lighting is red, think Pontiac dashboard and you've got it. I would prefer blue, but it does actually look cool next to my blue lit mouse. Second, its glossy. I don't know what manufacturers fascination with shiny is lately, but QUIT IT!! Haha, seriously, would really prefer a matte finsh however this is not a deal breaker. Lastly, the keys keep with the glossy and are smooth on the surface. It is not slippery or uncomfortable, just different and takes getting used to. The key action and press feel more than overshadows this minor oddity. It is also worth mentioning that the wrist rest is inconsequential, it could just as easliy not be there.
In the end, first day, I can already tell I type faster with this keyboard than I did and that should only improve with practice. If it holds up for the entire warranty period without needing to use it then it will be money well spent.Read more ›
- The keyboard has an amazing blood red back light and looks really good in the dark. You can choose from three different lighting settings as well as turn it off.
- There are six macro keys and you can program them to any key combination you want using either the included Microsoft Intellitype software or by pressing the record button for on-the-fly programming. There are also three different profiles to separately store the macros for the buttons allowing for 6x3 = 18 different macros.
- Keys feel good to type on and keyboard can be inclined using latches on the back.
- Anti-Ghosting technology. I haven't tested pressing 26 keys at once (cause I only have ten fingers lol) but this keyboard certainly lives up to its promise of registering 10+ keys at once.
- Hand rest cannot be removed but I have no problem with that. It actually feels comfortable to both game as well as type on.
- Media keys only work for Windows Media Player which is what I primarily use. This may annoy those who rely on a different default media player.
Conclusion: The Sidewinder X4 is awesome. I highly recommend it to both gamers and those looking for a really good keyboard.
My search was for a well built backlit keyboard to help prevent my need for any other light source. There is another model the Microsoft Sidewinder X6 that seemed interesting, however on a search this model was available for pre-order and seemed interesting.
My need is not as a gamer, just a sometimes past bedtime typer. This keyboard comes with software from Microsoft and on the USB cable over the USB connector there is a piece of cardboard that says to install the software CD first. When opening the box, the CD wasn't noticed by me. However it was there. It installs Microsoft Intellitype. Which seems to do something for my PC, what I have no idea.
After software install on Windows XP, my old keyboard was unplugged and this new keyboard was put in. It has worked out very well. The color is a solid red, and it is easy on the eyes. This is an extended 102 / 103 key keyboard (it has some extra keys). There is a non-detachable numeric pad. There is also a non-detachable hand rest.
While the hand rest is comfortable, it would have been nice to have it removable. Space is an issue in the area of my keyboard, and the hand rest uses about 1/3 of the keyboard surface area.
The black for most of the keyboard is glossy, the hand rest is matte and has a textured feel. All keys are lit, with the exception of the space bar.Read more ›
1.) Keys feel great while gaming/casual typing. Now key feel preference is very person specific, I know people who love mechanical keys and hate "laptop style" keyboards and vice versa. Personally I like the feel of the keys, it's a perfect middle ground for me between typing out the occasional paper and casual gaming. It does feel a bit better while gaming than if you're purely looking to type up novels, but overall I prefer it to the Logitech DiNovo Edge I had previously (laptop style keys, which was quieter but mushier). The keys feel solid even when pressing down on edges or corners, the fluid motion is the same no matter where on the key you hit.
2.) Simplicity/Design. Great keyboard that has everything I want and not all the wild non-sense that I don't (My old Logitech Elite seemed to believe I needed 10 media and email keys). Looks good too, nice clean lines and edges. With a nice weight to it, this keyboard appears to have excellent build quality. Time will tell of course (3 Year warranty though whooo!).
3.) Terminator color backlight. Can't say I see any pinkness in the backlighting. With all the lights on in the room it does look more orange than red (But then why would I need backlit keys), but at night with minimal light it looks killer. Terminator red.
4.) Software. I was wary about the software after reading some initial reviews, but so far haven't had any problems. It is simple and does the job. Doesn't even have to run in the background like Logitech software does.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Still running like new. Has had lots of gaming abuse. More than paid for itself. Recommend any SideWinder/Microsoft gaming keyboards. Great performance. Great features. Read morePublished 6 days ago by ARS
its a keyboard it works well altho ive switched to a razer tartarus for gaming.Published 1 month ago by Roy mehoff
I am disappointed with this keyboard. I don't like the feel. The key strokes are not crisp. I am not a gamer but I do have a need for a programmable keyboard for macros. Alas. Read morePublished 2 months ago by NevadaTerry
My keys are wearing off prematurely. I game but not this heavily. YOU CAN NOT REPLACE THE KEYS. Keeping your nails short, like another buyer said, is a help but they wore off way... Read morePublished 3 months ago by HedgeHocker
Been working great since day one. I've had no issues with it at all. Good build quality.Published 4 months ago by Christina mcCutcheon
Great keyboard. Love the backlighting, media controls, macros, and fullsize including the numpad. Hard to complain, just wish it was RGB and mechanical.Published 5 months ago by Christopher C.
Have used this keyboard for 3 and a half years now, and it still works just like the first time I plugged it in. Read morePublished 5 months ago by Stephen