Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 321 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 422 reviews
on September 29, 2009
I am well experienced in Microsoft Office Applications, specifically Office 2003. I purchased MS Office 2007 to learn new techniques of this application. For Microsoft Excel 2007, I purchased subject textbook from Course Technology. In my opinion the instructions and depth of information are rather average. Explanation of Excel 2007 features are scattered across several pages. Also,key toolbars, dialog boxes, views, tabs, etc, are not deeply explained at the beginning of the textbook, i.e., Unit A. Authors assume the reader is well versed in Excel. Good luck to a new comer who wants to start learning Excel.
I believe that once I achieve a complete knowledge on Excel 2007 with this book and other good references I should be able to comprehend the intrincacies of this application. At that time I will be back to this textbook, mainly first few Units, and perhaps re-assess my opinion.
JosephJL
on June 15, 2016
For a textbook, this one was fantastic. Not only was it extremely informative (like every textbook should be), but the information was laid out in a way that was easy and enjoyable to comprehend. I kept this book around for a long time for all my Microsoft office needs until I found a great resource online.
on December 11, 2013
This book was just what I was looking for to increase my knowledge of Excel. Excel is not an easy and I have use several books to help me on this journey. I like the way it is broken down in smaller steps and the additional lessons are there to help you. I received this book in the morning and am already in the third chapter. I have several books in Excel and this one is great for me. I will now be able to use my more advanced Excel textbooks more confidently.
on January 28, 2014
This book covers MS Office from A to Z. It helped to get me through some of the new features in Office - like the "ribbons". My husband had never used Office before and was breezing through the programs after following this book from cover to cover. I recommend this for anyone wanting to learn Office 2007 or wanting to learn about the new features. I'm a certified expert in the previous versions and find this book very helpful.
on September 22, 2016
Had to get this book for a college class but it did not teach me anything I did not already know. I would not buy it unless it is a required read.
on February 19, 2008
Weighing in a just under a pound, this book is worth it's weight in gold (currently trading at around $800 an ounce). Those new to pivot tables and those wanting a comprehensive understanding of the power of PTs (and the logic behind them) would do well to buy this book. Laid out in 11 chapters (the 12th is devoted to writing VB code, which is really an ancillary topic) it takes you from scratch: from an introduction to the origin of PTs to creating charts from your PTs to customizing PTs with macros.

Each chapter has a case study (all downloadable with ease from the website; no CD with this book), which nicely gives you a hands-on application of what you've just read. I found them all very useful and easy to use.

Those who want a basic mastery of PTs can read just the first seven chapers (about 125 pages), which took me 30 hours (including downloading the necessary work files from the book's website). Finishing to chapter eleven takes another 12 hours. Chapter 12 is another matter in itself: it really requires some understanding of code writing to get through it and my only quibble with the book is this: it plunges into VB code and, if you have no background in code, you'll get lost immediately and never find your way. It took me 12 hours to get through the chapter (I have a background in SQL) and the downloadable files don't help much here as they're all driven by pre-written macros.

If you want to advance your way up the career ladder with more sophisticated use of Excel, this is the place to start.
on August 14, 2010
The whole point of the Shelly cashman series which all of the reviewers seem to miss is quite obvious -- its the same for every Shelly Cashman book ___PICTURES. Books on Office from Microsoft miss the point by bogging readers down in writing about how to do something. SHELLY CASHMAN SHOWS you important techniques with few words and mostly pictures -- that is the whole series in a nutshell. Most of the people who use these books arent very bright so a smart motivated person who does use them can learn many concepts quickly. Even the slowest user can learn from this book. If you cant you had better forget your computer and take up typing!

Most writers about computer subjects have no clue about how to present material so it is instantly comprehensible -- Shelly has grasped the obvious which is missed by 99% of computer book publishers, esp Microsoft who should know better!
on March 6, 2010
I bought this book as a course requirement for a college computer literacy course. I have found this book to be a good starting point for the absolute beginner. You really need to use the included CD-Rom disc in order to complete the given exercises. The text is primarily composed of exercises based upon the templates included on the CD-Rom. If you have even the remotest familiarity with Windows 2007 and it's various programs then you will probably find more help within the Windows help menus rather than the text itself. This text was written and intended for the absolute beginner and is in no way meant to be, or usable as, a desk referrence.
on June 30, 2011
Kindle edition buyers note there is NO VIDEO whatsoever that goes with this. I didn't find any links within the book so I called publisher and they said you don't get video access unless you buy a REAL book. Very misleading since description in kindle store doesn't say you don't get video. I did not expect this from a shelly- cashman product especially given the price.
on June 12, 2014
I bought this being told that it was complete. I keep finding several pages missing, here and there throughout the book. If someone tore it out for class, I probably need it for my class, too. So thanks for ripping out the pages. Makes me even more wary about buying a used book online.