Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on October 7, 2010
This Upgrade will ERASE your other office stand alone products!!!

I own:
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
Outlook 2007 (Stand Alone Product Purchased Separately) and
Publisher 2007 (Stand Alone Product Purchased Separately)
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 Upgrade

When I installed my new Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 and selected the Upgrade button, it DELETED my stand alone installations of Outlook 2007 and Publisher 2007! OUTRAGEOUS!

After 40 minutes on the phone with Microsoft technical support, their answer was "Yes, the install will delete all of your other stand alone products". When I asked "Where is that fact documented in the software install guide or in the process of the software installation", they had no answer. In other words, it's not! UN-ACCEPTABLE!!!

Apparently, Microsoft must have the happiest customers on earth, because they have no complaint department to file an official complaint with. (Trust me, I asked and demanded to speak to someone who could direct me to an official complaint department).

When I insisted that I be directed to a manager who could direct me to an official complaint sight, I was HUNG UP ON!!! That is absolutely DISGRACEFUL!!!

What a way to handle your customer when he brings to your attention a HUGE FLAW in your upgrade process!

I'm filing a complaint with the better business bureau and then I'm calling my lawyer.

Oh, by the way. Microsoft's technical support team felt that me, losing all of my Outlook Contacts, Email Accounts, Calendar Entries, Tasks, Notes, et.al was an "inconvenience". They were sorry for the "inconvenience" of me losing years of work!!! Utterly COMTEMPTABLE!!!
1515 comments| 314 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 8, 2017
Seller MienneWare sent me the french version when I ordered the US/English version. Unfortunately I held on to it to long before trying to install. I already had the US version and was looking for additional "seats" for more computers, so I figured I would use the disc I had and just use the new product key. I tried that last night and it does not work. Now looking at feed back on that seller, I am not the only one that had this happen, though I imagine I have waited too long at this point to do anything about it.

In pics, latest one I received is on the left, the previous US version I received from a different seller is on the right. It also appeared that the French version had been opened previously as the seal was broken across the top prior to me opening it (though it was wrapped in plastic).
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on November 23, 2012
Can't change date format in Excel!!!! You kidding me? And why change everything so that we have to relearn how to used this junk? The head of MS's Office development team should be taken out and hanged!!!!
88 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 6, 2017
I bought this software a couple years ago, but finally installed it recently. The vendor was not the current one, but Cobalt Technologies, who has disappeared or changed their name. I choose "CUSTOM INSTALL" because I had Access 2007, Outlook 2007, and Publisher 2007 that I wanted to keep. I probably should have returned it, but didn't open the box in the "return" time frame. Why? Because although the box was sealed with a Microsoft seal and the outer wrappings looked fine, the DVD didn't have the fancy edge and more importantly, the product key was on a white sticker stuck to the bottom front of the Quick Start guide. The product key is supposed to be on a yellow Windows sticker on the back of the front cardboard panel, which was missing. Well, I installed it on my Windows 7 desktop and manually activated it over the phone, and it worked. I didn't really need to install it on any other PC and figured I'd better "save" any additional installs, if there were any, in case I have to reinstall on the desktop. If the product you get has the product key on a plain white sticker and not the official Microsoft yellow sticker, I think I would return it and ask Amazon to have the vendor send you one with the official product key sticker. It's hard to say where these vendors are getting these DVDs from, but don't do what I did - open it right away and try to install and activate it right away. I'm rating it 3 stars because it does work fine, though I don't believe I've found any significant differences for my simple needs over the 2007 version. Office 2010 runs on Windows 10 if I'm ever forced to upgrade, and since Office 2010 has support for a few more years if I recall, I'm thinking it should also run on the next Windows version, which is the only reason I bought it to begin with. But I'm quite sure that it's a used product and I don't know if I have any more installs, so fingers crossed.
on June 16, 2010
First of all, I'm a long-time user of Office but I'm not a techie. I'm also not a professional secretary who knows and uses all of the secrets and capabilities of Office. I have been using Office 2010 Beta for several months. I have used Office 2007 for many years, as well as prior versions of Office. I've tried the word-processing and spreadsheets on Google docs and I have Open Office.

I use Word for a *lot* of basic word processing - writing reports & articles with foot-notes, head-notes, & tables of contents, not to mention personal stuff. I rarely use mail-merge. I use Excel for simple spreadsheets - including calculations and such. I often sort etc. I don't usually use charts & graphs. I use Power Point once in awhile but I don't do anything fancy with it. I have been perfectly happy with Word 2007 about 98% of the time.

I'm waiting for Google docs to get it together, but their word-processing program is missing a number of critical features and is *not* ready for prime time. As to their spreadsheet, you can't even merge cells vertically. In other words,
Google's programs are completely useless at this stage of development, though they're getting better. Google is also trying to build in the ability to use Word & (I think) Excel online, which is great. Google will get there. It's not currently an alternative to Word 2010.

Open Office is basic and is probably adequate for simple home computing. It would take some time to learn how to use it with Bibus & other freeware, though I imagine a techie could cobble together something pretty good. It's free and worthy of consideration. For many I'm sure that it's good enough, and low-end users should think hard about their needs, but Open Office just does not rise to the level of Office 2010.

Office 2010:

1. You cannot edit Office 2010 documents online (yet), whatever MS says. (Watch their wording.)

2. I haven't had any technical problems with Win 2010 Beta running on either Win XP, Win 7 SE, or Win 7 Home Premium systems. It's on par with Win 2007 in that regard.

3. Surprisingly, the ability to "pin" your most-used documents to the "File" screen of your applications is very useful feature. No more "most recent documents" list that is usurped every time you use Photoshop or something. Exceeds expectations, & one of my favorite features.

4. Organizing all of the functions by separate ribbons/menus is a great idea, especially since you can create your own ribbon with your most used commands. I did have problems locating some commands b/c they have been moved to different locations. In Word this was quite aggravating at first, but it's not an issue now that I know where things are & how to locate commands that I use less frequently.

5. Having your open windows at the bottom of the screen is handy, though it can be annoying until you learn to not accidentally roll your mouse over them. A so-so improvement. (This is a Win 7 and Office 2010 combined feature.)

6. Snap is a nifty feature that allows you to line up 2 pages from your apps side-by-side using the full screen. This has been very useful for me and already gets regular use. Drawbacks: Sometimes the text is too small or, if you enlarge it, doesn't always fit on the page. Still, Snap is definitely worthwhile. (Another Win 7/Office 2010 feature; IME Snap doesn't work with many non-Office applications.)

7. It's so easy and fun to use the different color swatches to brighten up my Excel spreadsheets. This is not trivial for me as I like to use color to emphasize different kinds of data. People find the spreadsheets easier to read that way. YMMV. You could do this in Office 2007, of course, but the procedure is much more cumbersome.

8. Excel is configured in much the same way as Word, with ribbons at the top for different menus. The ribbons are mostly pretty good, but more so than in Word, some basic commands are located in counter-intuitive places. For example, to copy or move a page, you have to go into Home/Format Cells/Organize Sheets/Move or Copy Sheet. The "format cells" menu is in a tiny font and located at the right of the sheet. There is a certain logic to the location, but the command for this simple task should, IMO, be right on the ribbon. (It's on my personal ribbon now that I found it.) Likewise, the Tables menu doesn't show the most simple and complete way to create borders - you have to go to a sub-menu of the Tables submenu to get to the old XP Format Cells menu where you can find number, alignment, tables, etc. One of those submenus is below the page & is easily missed. Don't be fooled; not all commands are on the ribbons or in the same menus as XP & you'll have to ferret some of them out. Oh, and so far I've found 3 "Format Cells" menus, and they're not all the same.

Minus 1/2 star for hiding the Excel commands ('cause I'll learn them but that was stupid) & round up.

You get the general idea. Office 2007 is significantly different from Office 2010. IME, Word and Excel, and to a lesser degree Power Point, are easier and more efficient to use. There are some minor annoyances and there is a learning curve, but it should be relatively easy to switch from Office 2007 to Office 2010. I wouldn't advise anyone to rush out and buy Office 2010 right this minute, but it's definitely a good product and worth consideration - when you're ready.

Did MS get it right this time???

And no, I don't work for MS.

Update 12-09-2010:
I decided to stick to the free Open Office for a couple of months and it was more than adequate for my purposes. Most importantly, documents were compatible *enough* with Office when sent via email (no recipients complained). Then I had to prepare and submit some legal documents. Legal IT systems hate non-MS documents, and many of them still prefer Works to Word. Go figure. Anyway, I'm now using Office 2010 exclusively on my workhorse computer but I still use Open Office for quirky extras such as decent flashcards.
99 comments| 148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 16, 2010
I've had an opportunity to use Office 2010 Beta edition for a couple of months now and now that I see the full, final, edition I can say that this is a very worthwhile upgrade. First things first, I am not a techie. I am someone who uses Word, Excel and PowerPoint on a very regular basis, who really liked some of the changes in Office 2007 but who thought some things needed tweaking, so when given the opportunity for the beta edition I jumped on it and have not been disappointed. Office 2010 is to Office 2007 what Windows 7 was to Vista; that is, there are not many breakthrough, drastically different features, but a whole lot of polishing and cleanup to make it easier and more efficient. Overall, the program seems to run faster, incorporates many of the most commonly used options and makes them more accessible (eliminating many dialog boxes and tabs) and allows for more customization.

At first glance it looks very much like its predecessor, the ribbon is back and it is now also found on OneNote. There are plenty of sites that will give you a play-by-play on all the features available in this new version, so I'm just going to mention some of the biggest improvements that I've seen.
1) The biggest change is the addition of the web apps. It may not be a true direct competitor to google docs, but it allows for easier sharing of documents, as well as making your documents more accessible.
2) The ribbon is back and it now includes the "File" option and a new feature called "Backstage view." Backstage view incorporates the most commonly used actions in one place (yay! no more dialog boxes with tabs). You get the usual open, save and print, but you also get several templates for new documents, print layouts and ways to share your work, all without dialog boxes and tabs, everything is much more easily accessible.
3) Another new feature is that the ribbon is now customizable so you can organize it according to your needs.
4) There is a Paste Preview which lets you switch between paste options so you can make sure that your work will be formatted correctly.

Changes in PowerPoint.
You can now edit video directly on PowerPoint. You can trim a video, add effects, fades and even triggers for animations for the presentation. Another new feature is that you can add effects and edit images without the need for third party software.

Changes in Word.
One nifty new feature in Word is called "Navigation pane," which replaces the old document map. It incorporates minor changes in design that make big changes in productivity and ease of use. It allows you to quickly rearrange the document. Take for example a document with several headings/sections. The Navigation pane provides a list of all the headings. The headings are live, so you can drag them up or down, thus rearranging the document. It also incorporates most of the functions that used to be available in the "Find" dialog box but now they are all visible so you don't have to go digging through several menus to find the option that you need.

Changes in Excel.
Most of the changes in Excel deal with very large datasets. There is a new PowerPivot add-in which works great if you are dealing with a very large dataset that does not fit in one Excel spreadsheet. PowerPivot pulls the data from multiple sources (several Excel spreadsheets for instance) to analyze it.

Overall this is one well planned and executed upgrade that essentially takes all the promises of Office 2007 and makes them a reality. Yes, some things are different, and it will take some getting used to; but, once you realize the improvement in efficiency you'll agree that the changes are mostly for the positive. The only thing that I truly wish had changed but didn't is that this version does not include Outlook. That is available in the Home and Business version.
2121 comments| 575 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 17, 2010
Whatever you do, don't allow the software to install a trial edition of Outlook 2010. Since Outlook is not included in the Home and Student edition of Office 2010, you may be tempted. DO NOT! It will hijack your profile (the place where Outlook stores access to ALL your mail, your contacts, your entire life) and ***it will not give it back if you uninstall***

I got hosed this way, just wanna warn you!
22 comments| 254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 17, 2010
This is a worthwhile upgrade for me. I debated whether to do it or not and what version to get. I finally decided on the Home and Student version. I was pleased to see the price actually drop upon shipping. For me the main deal was OneNote 2010 which allows me to print directly into OneNote. In December I bought a new laptop and it has Win7 Pro 64bit. I was very disappointed to find that OneNote 2007 did not include a driver to print directly into it. While MS did provide a work around this much better.

One word of caution when you are installing. My MS Office install is a bit of a collection. I'm using stand alone versions of Outlook and Publisher (both 2007) and Access (2003). I had decided to leave these as is. Upon installing 2010 I was presented with two buttons: "Upgrade" and "Customize". I picked curtain 1 (upgrade). My bad! The install then proceeded to remove Outlook, Publisher and Access. Since the program I was installing did not include these products I think it's pretty bogus for the install process to remove them. I don't know if the "Customize" button would have allowed them to stay. I reinstalled the 3 programs and everything was fine, but I should not have had to waste time doing this.
2222 comments| 545 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 16, 2014
It lost one star for being Microsoft. Out side of that it installed easily on two of my computers. I recommend using the optional " custo installation" so you can pick and chose what you want. I don't use OutLook any more and if you install using "recommended install" it will instal a temporary version of OutLook and capture your address book, which if you decide not to buy OutLook you will lose all your info, so select "custom install" to avoid this. I have started using Open Office because Microsoft does crap like that and charge way too much for their stuff. Only reason I bought this was because my wifes work requires it and there is a slight possibility that there may be a small differences in opening some of the Word documents, spread sheets, etc. with Open Office. Not really enough to make a difference except the legal aspect is that they have to be "exact". Shipping was quick and I chose the disc because I hate dealing with Microsoft on line. Have had trouble with them in the past.
33 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 22, 2010
Platform: PC Disc|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Warning, warning, warning
The trial of Outlook on this that you don't even know it is going to install, not only makes itself your email client, it keeps downloading your email even after the trial ends if you open it for any reason, for example to look at all your emails it is already holding hostage, get rid of the trial software for Outlook as soon as you can if you still have it on your computer, I'm currently trying to go through the over 900 emails that it downloaded before I realized that it was even on my computer

I was orginally very happy with this product, but then to my dismay I found out the hard way that it installs a trial version of Microsoft Outlook on your computer.

Everything works nice, until you send an email and then Outlook takes over your email, I thought it wasn't going to be a problem, then I went to send an email and got a box that popped up and told me that the trial period had ended and that I would have to purchase a $200.00 or more program to get all my business and personal emails back that Outlook automatically downloaded without me selecting that as an option

The Powerpoint is good on this version, but if you buy this office suite, make sure you do not install any of the trial programs that the disk automatically installs, otherwise you will find yourself losing data that you needed and can't afford to pay the ransom to get back
22 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.