Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Platform: PC Disc|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,602 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,763 reviews
on June 17, 2010
This is a worthwhile upgrade for me. I debated whether to do it or not and what version to get. I finally decided on the Home and Student version. I was pleased to see the price actually drop upon shipping. For me the main deal was OneNote 2010 which allows me to print directly into OneNote. In December I bought a new laptop and it has Win7 Pro 64bit. I was very disappointed to find that OneNote 2007 did not include a driver to print directly into it. While MS did provide a work around this much better.

One word of caution when you are installing. My MS Office install is a bit of a collection. I'm using stand alone versions of Outlook and Publisher (both 2007) and Access (2003). I had decided to leave these as is. Upon installing 2010 I was presented with two buttons: "Upgrade" and "Customize". I picked curtain 1 (upgrade). My bad! The install then proceeded to remove Outlook, Publisher and Access. Since the program I was installing did not include these products I think it's pretty bogus for the install process to remove them. I don't know if the "Customize" button would have allowed them to stay. I reinstalled the 3 programs and everything was fine, but I should not have had to waste time doing this.
2121 comments| 536 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2010
I had been using Office 2000 forever and thought it was about time to upgrade. The new menus and features take a bit of a learning curve to get used to but I am very impressed with all the features and quality of the product. Microsoft Office is the industry standard and you won't have any issues reformatting files or compatibility with this product.

The only recommendation I have is get the CD version over the digital version. Digital costs around $100 for each computer and by buying the CD version for about $120, you can use it for up to 3 computers.
on July 25, 2013
I thought that it was important to let consumers know that this version does work with Windows 8. When I was looking to buy it no where did it state that it would work on Window 8. I hope this information can be helpful to someone else.
on June 26, 2012
I built a new computer and upgraded from XP to Windows 7, so while I was at it, I upgraded to this version of Office, mostly because Microsoft no longer supports 2000.

Pros: Can legally be used on 3 computers, so I have it on my desktop and laptop. Word and Excel are greatly improved, with some neat features, options and addons that 2000 doesn't have. The product seems stable and I have had no operational problems with it.

Cons: Only one con, really. Like many others, I don't care for the "ribbon." I think it needlessly complicates using functions that were very simple to get to in 2000. Maybe I'm just an old codger who needs to get into the 21st century :) but I think Microsoft over-engineered a bit on this. If not for this, I would rate this software 5 stars.

Another thought: Even if you are using Windows 64-bit, know that Office 2010 is designed for a 32-bit system. From what my research tells me, this is because many addons don't work properly, if at all, in 64-bit. In fact, the default install on this is 32-bit, and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to force a 64-bit install. Don't do it. My system is 64-bit, but 32-bit Office plays very nicely with it and I can see no reason to mess it up with a 64-bit install.

Bottom line: The new features and such make this a good workhorse of an office suite and I'm very pleased with it. But I really think that in future editions, Microsoft should rethink the whole ribbon thing. If this isn't a problem for you, I recommend Office 2010.
on January 26, 2011
Well, I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my Office Suite (MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Powerpoint) to MS 2010 Home & Student version.

The tools are usable, and do all the same functions as they did in the previous version. But Microsoft still has a way to go when it comes to understanding user-friendliness.

I installed the product multiple times and found the "dumbed-down" installation menu had some draw backs. For example, if you installed a trail version of Outlook, and then later removed it, it left all of the email and messages on your system (2 GB of junk in my case); It would be better for MS to ask the user if they want to remove these files when uninstalling Outlook. (I manually removed the files from my system.) In another case, I had to search each of the installable options on the installation screen to find hyphenation and thesaurus tools. MS could provide a search option to save the user time.

When I used either Word or Excel, I found the tool menu had radically changed. I didn't mind learning where the tools were relocated (like spell checker, or text formating). But I didn't like having to go from one tab to another to select a tool. Nor did I like having to open the same tab multiple times to perform the same operation on the page (the tab closes after you do an operation). Doing simple operations like saving the file seems to require the user to open a tab to do so. Similarly for Excel. The look and feel has become clumsey and clunky.

These are major changes in the look and feel of Word and Excel. So, I don't expect any changes until the next major revision. If your current tools (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) are serving you well, I'd stick to them for now.
on February 1, 2016
I should have paid more attention to the negative reviews as the key code does not work. After reading the negative reviews it seems that after spending well over $200.00 you have no recourse. What makes this even more disappointing is I do volunteer work for a number of Veteran organizations and local churches. I pretty much use these programs for those organizations and I had to purchase a newer computer so I wanted to update the software. What an incredible disappointment.
I very rarely write reviews but in this case who ever is responsible for selling something like this that has a defective key code with no recourse should be ashamed of themselves.
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 Family Pack, 3PC (Disc Version)
on May 8, 2011
I've worked with MS Office products for a long time, but this is the best edition I have ever seen! I love the "ribbon". It did take a little time for me to get used to it, but it makes things much easier to find. I especially love the new PowerPoint version. I do a lot of presentations and being able to have the acutal "show" on the screen and my notes on the computer is fantastic. I like the new animations and slide changes that are available too. All-in-all, a really nice change for MS and much easier to work with once you play with the ribbon just a bit!
I very unexpectedly lost my job and found at the same time that the MS Office package on my laptop had expired. I went to a few big box stores but really wasn't sure of what I needed. Back home with Amazon, I purchased this at the best price I had seen. With Amazon Prime, I received it the next day for a tiny shipping charge.

I was back to churning out resumes in less than 36 hours. The product is absolutely perfect for my needs. Amazon was the best vendor. I'm very happy with the product and the service!
on December 1, 2012
I've been using office 2010 and teaching it for the past couple years, and I am very happy with the product. There's some things that are different between this and 2003, and 2007, however it encompasses all the same features, except in an easier to use package. Takes some getting used to, but... get over it. Imagine someone learning it for the first time, its that much easier, because there's pictures of everything, and a new and improved help section that does a great job :-)
on November 6, 2014
Didn't work out. Could not initialize. Not sure who could use this but Microsoft won't accept it as a verified version. Amazon arranged for full refund and return shipping so that was great. But avoid unless you know something we don't know....it's worthless once you get it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.