Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 31-37 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 46 reviews
on February 17, 2010
This book is very good written, and I don't want waste my time to repeat many previous reviews. However one question posted in negative review remains unanswered. The contest of this book is based on you the reader being able install "Galactic" database. The download of this database is free and I would suggest - before buying this book make sure the "Galactic" database is installed.
on April 3, 2012
I just got the book a short while ago. It appears to be well written, and very much what I was looking for. The sample data is still available on McGraw Hill's web site. You do need to follow the steps on page xxii and then click on the link to load the books page. Then you get the link to download. I would buy this book again.
on July 5, 2010
So far this book is just what I wanted. I've used SSRS 2003, 2005 and 2008 but 2008 is quite different and this book helped me familiarize myself with it.
on February 27, 2011
My problem with this book is the lack of support. There is no errata or any forum. I got to the Chapter 6 Name Tags example when odd things started happening, and the report didn't print out in a reasonable form. Anyhow I'd like to discuss this with other readers, but there is no forum at the McGraw Hill web site.

The author details, step by step, the process of creating reports and sometimes I feel like I am filling out a tax return, performing seemingly arbitrary actions with no idea as to why. This is especially true in later chapters in the 'authoring' section. In the midst of describing the steps, there is never any mention about how a step is needed to satisfy the report requirements. You need to read the examples backwards: first examine the final report to know what you are attempting to produce, then read 'task notes' (which follow the process steps in the text), and then execute the process steps to create the report. Even then you might get lost. In Chapter 7 the author details what amounts to a trick to get the desired result, and this is possibly the most important part of the exercise, but given the lack of emphasis, you might be completely unaware that you are doing it or why it is necessary in the first place.

The author pays no heed to the possibility of actually printing out a report, as the steps specified frequently generate reports that are too wide. Check the 'print layout' view; you will see text/controls disappear (onto the the next page) if the report page is too wide. You will want to go to (menu item) Report/Report Properties to set the layout to landscape for various reports.
on January 1, 2012
Purchased product easily. Came when expected and in mint condition. I could not ask for more. I would purchase from this venor again.
on March 21, 2013
I have downloaded several SQL Server databases without any problems, but I have not been able to get this to work. That of course makes much of the book useless.
on February 9, 2011
Book requires a specific database be installed on your PC in order to follow the book. Book does not provide accurate, correct, or sufficient information to acquire this database. Therefore book is of no value to me and I cannot imagine is of value to anyone else. For those who find my review of no use, buy the book. I dare you.