Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,947 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,084 reviews
on February 17, 2017
My wife has a Microsoft Surface 3 and the type covers for the Surface 3 goes for around $130. She uses the touch screen 100% of the time. Thus, she doesn’t need a keyboard. However, on occasion I use her Surface 3 and do a little more typing so hunting and pecking on the touch pad is not efficient. I read that the older type covers and touch covers work with the Surface 3, but did not fit the Surface 3. For $16, I thought I would give it a try and to see how much of a mismatch the type cover 2 was with the Surface 3.

When using the keyboard, it is difficult to tell there is a mismatch. The connectors fits perfectly and all the keys work as they should. I like it that the type cover 2 is backlit (unlike the touch cover, which are not backlit). However, if you wish to use the type cover 2 as a protective case for the Surface 3, there is a mismatch. Rather than explain the difference, I thought it best to take a picture to show this.

If you are looking for just a backlit keyboard for your Surface 3, but will not be using the type cover as a protective cover, getting this Surface 2 type cover will save you over $120. Microsoft Surface Type Cover 2 (Purple)
review image review image review image
on July 10, 2017
I'm only getting around to reviewing this device after getting the Surface 4 keyboard. So I'll try to keep my review in perspective. Either way it is a very nice keyboard. The mouse is absolutely godawful, barely useable, you don't even know where the buttons are and it isn't sensitive in the least. But the keyboard itself is absolutely delightful! The keyboard is illuminated, making for good typing in the darkness. I like flat keyboards, and this keyboard allows you to easily glide from key to key for very fast typing. I can reach my prime typing speed of 100WPM with this keyboard. It's a little thicker than the touch keyboard but the touch keyboard is rubbish. The only downside to using the Surface Pro 2 with a Type Cover instead of a regular laptop is that you can't actually have it in your lap like a real laptop, but for all other purposes it's great.
- I am no longer using the Surface Pro 2 keyboard as I now have a Surface Pro 4 with its own keyboard, and my wife is using my old one. However, there were a lot of people on here who said the Type Cover 2 worked with the Surface 4 and IT DOESN'T. So if you get a Surface 4 you'll have to use the onscreen keyboard until you get the keyboard cover. On the new one they improved the mouse by the way.
on May 31, 2014
I actually had a black one of these type 2 keyboards and have used my Surface so much that I have worn it out and needed a replacement. There wasn't anything physically wrong with the keyboard, such as, it didn't work any longer or anything like that. The common letters were starting to wear off (just like on a normal keyboard) and the felt backing was starting to become a little ragged. Mostly cosmetic and nothing electrically. It still works perfectly fine.

I prefer the type 2 keyboard over the touch keyboard only because I like the feel of the keys. It is like typing on an actual keyboard. My first keyboard for my Surface was a touch keyboard and I didn't like the feel of it and when typing emails and documents, I had a hard time with not feeling the keys depress; I spent a lot more time having to go back and make corrections because you have to press a little harder on a touch keyboard.

Anyway, I prefer the type 2 keyboard and like these keyboards very much. It folds up to protect the front of my Surface and even folds behind if I am playing a game or reading where I don't need the keyboard. It easily attaches/detaches.
on July 31, 2017
Fits my original Surface Pro perfectly and the color looks great. I'm honestly amazed at the cost, as I recall these retailed for over $100. I was worried I was going to get a chinese knock-off but it appears to be OEM Microsoft. Maybe there's a keylogger installed sending all my keystrokes off to the Chinese Government? Let's hope not! The backlit keys look great.

I took off 1 star because the right/left click buttons below the mouse pad are awkwardly placed and hard to press accurately and consistently. I find myself having to tap the screen to click on things as it's easier than using the trackpad buttons. Also, the cover material doesn't hold up well against dirt. I slipped it in my backpack once and the edges are already brown and dirty.
on December 26, 2015
This just made my surface 100 times more useful. Utilizing just the on-screen keypad really made the surface pretty useless. I purchased this and not have no need for any other computer or mobile device.

This keyboard interfaces with the surface screen and causes the Surface to turns off when the cover is closed. I think this is a great feature and was not aware of this prior to purchasing the keyboard.

This keyboard is very similar to a standard computer keyboard, only smaller. I like to sit in a recliner and use the computer, but I found by adding this keyboard to the Surface and the Surface "kickstand" it is very difficult to position myself in a way that the Surface screen does not fall back toward me and onto the keyboard. With a laptop the hinge has friction which holds the screen up, not so with the surface connection point (hinge). This is not a fault of the keyboard, just a general pain. If you plan to sit in a reclined position and use the keyboard with the Surface, you may have a similar problem.

If you are thinking about buying a keyboard for your Surface, do it!
on May 24, 2017
Great fit on my Surface Pro. I had to replace the Type Cover 1 that came with my Surface Pro because it was sporadically ignoring all the characters I typed and required a lot of manual manipulation to fix it. This Type Cover 2 feels a little more durable and the keylit display is nice to have, especially if you're used to Apple products. Unfortunately, the mousepad is still unfortunate; it's not very responsive and doesn't not react well to gestures -- and since it's more or less flush with the wristpad, it's easy to send your cursor flying.

Nevertheless, it's a great improvement over the first model and the price is great.
on May 21, 2017
I needed a replacement keyboard for my Suface 3 because the "C" key broke off my keyboard for no reason so I bought this one because it was cheap. It works fine and is compatible with my Surface 3 but the keypad is very annoying, it is small and the same material as the cover so it is rough when you move your finger on it. It is great for typing but I would use an external mouse with it to save your finger.
on June 17, 2017
I really like this Type Cover 2, if only my right mouse click would work properly! I have to press down super hard on my right clicker to get it to work which is so frustrating and which is why I gave it a 3. As for the keys, it only gives you the option to turn off the volume but there are no keys to lower or raise the volume which is so inconvenient because I listen to music all the time and am always in need of a easy way to lower or raise the volume from my keyboard. Overall though, outside the right clicker issue and lack of volume key options this is a really great keyboard and great buy. Inexpensive, has a backlight which is super cool (especially when I'm working in the dark - yea, lurker style) and pretty much serves the overall purpose. Great buy overall!
on June 7, 2015
Work great. Look good. Everything works great ! Here one pic for you.
review image
on January 31, 2017
This is a good, basic version of the really nice one you see everywhere. It's specific to the Surface, no Bluetooth. It snapped on, and I began typing. I am running it on my RT. There's no overhang when it's closed. I believe my screen is the 10.6". It doesn't lock closed or anything, but it does snap onto your Surface with good magnets. I am not able to control the volume from the keyboard except for mute, and you can only play/pause audio/video. There's two buttons to adjust the keyboard brightness that don't really seem necessary. I did notice it stopped the screen keyboard from popping up all the time, which is really nice on the RT version. If you like your shortcut keys (cntl+C), you'll need to use that from the left side. Control button is not on the right, only on the left and the Fn button is only on the right, not the left. I'm happy the Shift key is big on each side as some Surface keyboards have made them smaller and easier to make typos. The keys are a little on the larger side, but it's been easier to get used to than I anticipated. The mouse pad does work on it. It stays charged with it just being connected to your Surface, so you don't have to worry about batteries dying or recharging not to mention no USB wires needed. Overall, I'm quite happy with it especially for the price. I've paid more for worse. It would get 5 stars if the control key was on the right side, and I could control my volume from the keyboard. Still, no complaints.