Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on June 13, 2016
It works. It's expensive as h*ll and Windows keeps hounding everyone to upgrade to 10 with no option to say no, but it works. It is a full version, not like those OEM disks that claim to be full versions. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to be responsible for all of my own updates. With this, I don't have to be. You still need to install your drivers after using this, and for some odd reason, my wifi was not working in my computer. I didn't have a disk for that driver either and had to do some crazy stuff online to get it to work again, but I have had no other problems.
on July 8, 2013
I needed a Win7 key and Microsoft no longer sells Win7 for digital download, you can only get a physical copy. So I thought, as long as I am buying a physical copy, I might as well get it for cheaper on Amazon. I have Windows 8 on my laptop, so I can compare.
Reasons why Windows 7 is still preferable to Windows 8:
1) Win8 is designed for a world where everyone is using touch screens for computing. The truth is, we use touch screens for mobile computing frequently (smart phones, mp3 players, tablets, etc), but not on our laptops or desktops as much. It's likely that one day we will use touch screens for many more things, but that day has not arrived yet.
2) The lack of a start button is not the end of the world, but it is a pain in the ass. I still have yet to figure out how to open an app on top of my desktop (e.g. on the same screen as my desktop) rather than returning to the home screen (which is not the desktop), and opening the app from there. This was recently very obnoxious when I was trying to add a bunch of numbers together using the calculator app. I had to switch between my desktop and the homescreen to get the numbers to plug into the calculator app.
3) I don't like the centralized "app store" that Win8 ships with. While this makes sense for mobile phones, on a computer where accessing the free web is easy, it just feels like a proprietary push.

That said, Windows 8 is totally usable -- it's just designed well ahead of its time, so much so that its functionality isn't a good fit for my needs today.
on January 24, 2013
I used the Windows 7 Home Premium first as an upgrade and then as a clean install.

UPGRADE

As an upgrade from Vista Home Premium, it was seemless. I first used Windows 7 Adviser (download available free from Microsoft) to see which version of Windows 7 is right for me. One cannot upgrade willy nilly from any version of Windows to any version of Windows 7. Then, I used Windows Easy Transfer to migrate my data to an external hard drive. I don't think I needed Easy Transfer for the upgrade from Vista, but it came in useful later, when I had to do a clean install.

Upgrading went very smoothly. I retained all my software and settings. I really loved how easy it was.

WINDOWS EASY TRANSFER

It may interest some of you to know sysprep will not work on a computer with an OEM version of Vista with a paid upgrade to Windows 7. I could not even perform a Windows repair with the full version disk. Nope. Once I changed out my motherboard and CPU, I had to use this full version to do a clean install, after which I ran Windows Easy Transfer. Windows Easy Transfer did not restore all my software or even my email settings, but I did give me back my wallpaper.

CLEAN INSTALL

I had to do a few clean installs: the first time after upgrading my motherboard and CPU, the second time after upgrading my hard drive (cloning the old drive failed and my disk backup image did not work). I know, I should have done it all at once.

The first clean install was flawless. The second clean install was fraught with problems. Windows would not let me repair nor do a clean install. "On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT disks." Lots of googling to solve this problem, and I did not find anything like what I finally did: I went to the "advanced" screen of the Windows setup screen and deleted all the partitions. That worked.

WINDOWS 7 VS. WINDOWS 8 AND VISTA

Compared to Vista, Windows 7 is very familiar. It feels stable. I haven't had it lock up or anything. I like the taskbar on the bottom of the screen. I like being able to see small screenshots of my work by hovering over the icons there. I like anchoring my most used software there.

We do have Windows 8 at home and I chose not to upgrade to that. Windows 8 is very cluttered and clunky. Everything takes far too many clicks, like taking a roundabout route just to turn off the machine. I consider Windows 8 a downgrade.

Yes, I do like Windows 7. It's very nice -- the best Windows system to upgrade to at the moment.
on March 21, 2013
For the most part the average person is not going to need all of the features found in the professional version. The problem I have is that Microsoft has not labeled all of the features left out in this version.

I found out that one feature not listed as left out in the home premium version is the group policy editor. gpedit.msc
I suppose I should have just known this being that the editor is more of a commercial feature but it was not listed as left out so I had to take a guess/chance.

If you need the gpedit.msc than you will need to get the professional version. Unless of course you are willing to download and install some third party hacks which claim to install this feature into the home version. I myself do not trust any of these hacks as they are more likely just some form of trojan.
on June 28, 2013
I finally broke down and spent the big bucks and moved forward from Windows XP. Rather than go to Windows 8, however, I look the more conservative step and wend to 7. I can wait another 3-4 years until Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7 before I make another leap forward.

I run Windows 7 under Parallels on my MacBook Pro laptop and this installed very easily. I got it started late one evening and let it install overnight. When I got back to it in the morning, it was ready to go.

Because it's Microsoft Windows and I have spent many hundreds of hours of my life fixing Windows problems over the last 25 years, I cannot rate it five stars. I just cannot go there. ;-)
on March 7, 2011
I was a Windows XP user for years then my PC died about a year and a half ago and we became Mac people. We purchased a Laptop Pro first and just recently an iMac. We have a home based business and are quite spoiled with our macs, but not every company we deal with makes software or programs that are compatible with mac. We had to break down and purchase Windows 7 to use along side our Snow Leopard OSX.

It loaded fairly quickly and so far seems to be every bit as good or even better than Windows XP. It works well with our iMac, but I would recommend using a Parallels type program if you are using both operating systems to avoid having to shut down and reboot your computer to switch to whichever OS you need at the time. We loaded an Architectural software on our iMac under the Windows OS that we hadn't been able to use for a year and a half now. It was an expensive software that we just hadn't replaced with a Mac version. It loaded up in windows and is running on our Mac just fine; a HUGE plus!

We have only had the product installed for a few days now, but haven't had any issues with it. I'll put a more detailed review on here as I have more experience with this product.
on March 16, 2010
I purchased the full version of W7 Home for use on a mac computer. I have been using Paralells to run the W7 within the mac interface because some programs that I use (albeit they are internet based) only work on IE7. Imagine that...a brand new mac and I am forced to install W7 so i can have internet explorer! (sorry, I'm a little frustrated about it).

W7 is fine. I really don't use it much for anything other than IE. I do notice that when I have it running, my computer (on the mac side) is much slower, but I suspect that is due to the RAM in my machine, and not W7.

This box came with both the 64 bit version and the 32 bit version. After searching around, I finally called Apple to figure out which version I needed to install. Their answer was that I could install either version and it wouldn't matter. I chose the 64bit version, and I think that if I had to do it again, I'd install the 32 bit version. I don't necessarily need the "64 lanes of highway" for speed and it Adobe flash and some other features do not work as well on the 64bit version...technology just hasn't gotten there yet. I'll just have to be patient and wait.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 17, 2013
I purchased this just to have a product key that wasn't tied to any equipment. I haven't used the disks at all and probably never will as I have a bootable USB with the Win7 ISO file on it. It's nice to have the OS without any of the bloat that comes preinstalled on so many systems these days. This particular product key went on a custom build.

Regarding Win7 as an OS, I only use it because I have to. Personally and professionally I use one of several Linux distributions, but I need Win7 for Lightroom and Photoshop as I do a lot of photography.
on January 20, 2013
I'm a fan of windows 7 so I got it again for my custom PC. Once again I love it, doesn't give me any problems. Not to mention you can use it multiple times! My friend just built his and instead of dishing out $200 on windows 7 I just lent him mine.

And please don't go buying the Ultimate edition people, if you look up the differences 90% of the time you wont benefit what so ever from its extras. I bought a PC from someone once who had installed the Ultimate edition on his pc, all he did was game really. So in turn he wasted about $100 on a pointless upgrade.
on October 4, 2013
If you are not ready yet for the Metro styled Windows 8 then Windows 7 is still a realistic option. This is a modern OS with an added lifespan due to its extended support from Microsoft until January 14, 2020. While this OS is really an improved version of Windows Vista it still lacks the previous OS's Calendar, Mail, Movie Maker, and Photo Gallery applications but these applications are still available for free from Microsoft in its Windows Essentials suite.