Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 850 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,032 reviews
VINE VOICEon November 1, 2009
Windows 7 Home Premium is the best version to choose for older machines and/or simpler networks. The "Backup" offered in 7 Pro can be done easily with free tools, and unless you need complex networking, 7 has what it takes to manage a home network. Last, the 'XP Mode' promised in 7 Pro and above will only work on hardware new enough to support "Virtualization Technology" (stop by Microsoft's website to learn more). This isn't the same as "XP Compatibility Mode", which you will still have for all versions of Windows 7 (there's a great video explanation of this on CNET's website in their Windows 7 Center at CNET TV).

Some very important things you need to know about upgrading:

1) There are two types of upgrade: "in-place" (where a Vista machine upgrades to 7 and you get to keep all your programs) and "clean" (where you lose all your old programs and settings).
2) Anyone going from XP to 7 will have to go "clean".
3) Anyone going from a different Vista to 7 (for example, Vista Home to 7 Pro, or Vista Ultimate to 7 Home) will also have to go "clean".

If you have to do 2) or 3), all is not lost--I'll explain in a moment.

Before you even buy 7 for your machine, stop by Microsoft's website for two things:

a) download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. Run it with every device connected to the machine that you'll ever want to use in 7. It'll thoroughly examine your machine for any roadblocks and give you good advice about upgrading.
b) Go to the Windows 7 Compatibility Center and double-check anything that came up negative in the Upgrade Advisor (or didn't show up at all). This site lists detailed compatibility info on a LOT of different devices.

Anything major, like a video card or sound card driver, I'd recommend double-checking with the manufacturer's website to be sure. This almost burned me on two of the machines that I upgraded.

Last, make a backup. There's a free tool called Macrium Reflect that can do this for you.

Do you have to do a "clean" install, but just want to carry over your user accounts and settings? Microsoft makes a program called Windows Easy Transfer that's already in Vista (and can be downloaded from Microsoft for XP) that will export your accounts and settings and let you import them back again. It's very easy to use and does a good job of putting your accounts back together again, even going from XP to 7.

Do you have to do the "clean" install, and you don't want to reinstall all your programs? Laplink has an offer for $19.95 that will let you use a special version of their program "PC Mover" to upgrade one machine one time. Read the documentation in detail.

The most important thing to doing a "clean" install is that in the Upgrade setup you choose "Custom". Windows will take all of your major files and place them in a folder called "Windows.old". PC Mover and the Easy Transfer program will use this folder to reconstruct your system from, so this is VERY important.

I wish I had more space to go into detail here...bottom line is, if you plan ahead a bit, upgrading to 7 will go very easily (and if it doesn't, you'll have something to fall back on).
2323 comments| 852 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2013
I have a Windows Vista laptop - Dell XPS with 4 gbs ram and 2 ghz processor. I really had no issues with Vista that other people seem to have but wanted to upgrade my laptop to Win 7 since my other computer is Win 7. The current Vista edition is Vista Home Premium. I ran the Win 7 upgrade adviser program from Microsoft and it said everything was compatible. So I bought the upgrade software which, according to Microsoft, I could upgrade to the Win 7 Home Premium edition.

After I booted into Windows, I inserted the Win 7 Upgrade CD and followed the install process. First, it did some scans, and then asked if I wanted to check the internet for any new update files for the upgrade. I said yes, and the set up screen informed me that the computer will stay connected to the internet during the install.

It also did another compatibility check and gave me a soft soft. A soft stop is when they said doing the install would potentially make this item not usable but I can easily reinstall it. The soft stop for me was the Intel ProSet Wireless which is the software that finds networks you can connect to. Anyway, it recommended that I uninstall it before doing the upgrade. I didn't as I figure I can uninstall it later and clicked continue rather than cancel. I then got the option to do an upgrade (keeps all files, settings, data, software) or custom (clean install which means you had to back up all your information to reinstall later.) I chose upgrade (even though some people recommend doing a clean install is better).

Anyway, since my HD is 128 SSD, the entire process took about 2 hours to do. Since everyone's computer is different, and based on the amount of data you have, it probably will take longer. It does give you a percentage bar for each task so you know relatively where you are in the process. The setup did require a reboot to finish the process and during the loading of my desktop, i did get an error that the Microsoft Windows Framework 4 needed repair, and not to touch anything. Since I was already connected to the internet, it must have downloaded a fix cause after about 10 mins, it told me to reboot to complete the repair. After I rebooted, I had Win 7 and everything from the desktop to my programs worked the same. I had no issues!!! Even the soft stop warning about the Intel Proset Wireless wasn't an issue. I was able to connect wireless with no problems.

Since I had a SSD, I think my SSD works better with Win 7 than Vista cause my computer boots faster and shut down faster. Overall, I was happy I made the upgrade. It was cheaper than buying a new computer and even though I had worries about something not working, and when I got the error about the Framework, I was thinking, great, shouldn't have done it but it all worked out and I'm happy.
on December 17, 2015
Best OS I have ever used. I do not need to be stressing over the completely conflicted and complicated UI of Windows 8/8.1, nor do I have to worry about the problems Windows 10 presented at the time of its release. Both of the most recent OSes are Microsoft's biggest flops, yet. But this one? This OS doesn't let me down.

I've been a strong Windows 7 user since the day I purchased it, which was around two years ago. Despite the bloody thing constantly trying to get me to install Windows 10 and Microsoft's useless web plugin, "Microsoft Silverlight," I am still able to play legacy games on the 64-bit version of Windows 7 (using DOSBox and other games that worked just fine on Windows 7), in comparison to Windows 10, which is horrible at trying to run games like Rome: Total War. (Being forced to play it at 1280x720 resolution or lower while having to be stuck with huge amount of stuttering and terrible framerates while my HP computer was packed with 8GB of RAM, a C2D @ 3.08GHz and an EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC, which could have been playing much better at a perfect 50 - 60 fps on Windows 7 is NOT cool, Microsoft!) Seriously, Microsoft, how did you mess that up?

Unfortunately, by the time I bought this, it was really close to the $180 price point, which should have been less expensive, one of the many quirks about Amazon's sellers. If I really wanted to, I could have gotten this cheaper elsewhere for around $100. It was worth it, even though I didn't like the fact that I had to pay *that much* for a good OS.
on July 17, 2017
Although I really don't know all the fuss about vista being bad, I never had a problem with it. Mostly it was Mac people, the "so elite", making the comments, since they never really even used the OS, Vista got a bad rap.
I purchased this when it was $50/copy when it first went on Amazon months ago. 7 works great and I installed the update to 2 of my computer (laptop and desktop, both 64 bit) without a hitch. Took only 2 hours for the desktop and an hour and a half for the laptop, both were UPGRADES and not a clean install.
One thing I don't like is the Windows Movie Maker. Seems like they actually stepped it down when it should have been stepped up with more features. You have to download it separately to for the Windows Live Essentials website.
Other than that, seems very fast and works well and worth the $50 upgrade.
on October 21, 2013
This upgrade allows you to upgrade from XP, XP-Pro, or Vista 32 or 64 bit to Windows 7 32 or 64 bit.To upgrade from 32 to 64 bit just check to make sure that your CPU is at least a Dual Core and do a Clean Install over XP with the 64 Bit disc. Be sure to backup all of your data to another drive or flash drive to reinstall later. Clean Install wipes all info from your hard drive an installs Windows 7 in place of XP. Comes with both 32 and 64 bit disc's. I had no problem installing the 64 bit W7 over my XP-PRO 32 since I had a dual core cpu. It was painless and simple. Again be sure you back up all of your data files. You will have to reinstall programs that you commonly use and then reload your saved data to those programs.
on October 25, 2016
So much better than Vista and I don't like Windows 8 or 10
on March 23, 2014
Windows XP is nearing end of life this year, and I needed a new OS for an older PC that still has some miles left. This older version installed just fine - but beware, you will require hours of updating once it is connected and live online. I left aside a full day for the hours of updates the version required before it was ready to go. This is a great option for breathing a bit of new life into an older system that isn't quite up to Windows 8 specs. Why pay more just to get the free updates that Microsoft happily provides?
on March 1, 2016
I needed to upgrade from Vista since it was soon to be no longer being supported. In order to upgrade to Windows 10, I needed to have at least Windows 7. This software upgraded Vista and helped me get free Windows 10. Thanks.
on December 9, 2015
I used the 64 bit version to upgrade from Vista. The installation preserved all files (except had to uninstall I-tunes) and went without a hitch. The installation took about 2.5 hours. Later on, spent a few days installing all the Microsoft updates, and again, everything installed smoothly. Successfully activated the software, and validated that it was genuine Microsoft. Software Noggin is a good vendor too. Before making purchase, asked for vendor opinion on a few software options being considered. Vendor suggested a lower priced option, and I purchased the recommended package. However, the first software package that was shipped did not look like new contents, so I advised the vendor. Vendor promptly and courteously responded, and offered full refund or exchange. I chose to return it in exchange for another, and the replacement software has worked out fine as described above.
VINE VOICEon September 27, 2012
"A survey find that even hard-core Windows 8 fans prefer Windows 7 by a two to one margin." --Steven Vaughan-Nichols

Windows 7 update has been what it takes to manage a home network, getting rid of cronic problems, and daily patching of Window Vista Home Premium. Upgrading was the most convenient way to get Windows 7 on my PC computer. Although the upgrade took 41/2 hours, it went smooth without a single glitch, correcting some of the Vista corrupted files.

All my files, and settings were preserved, and the programs retained from Windows Vista were kept in place, even the desktop background and the program icons. But the best of all was recovering Frame 4 and ending the rundown time caused by a non rectifiable Visual studio 2010.The only programs I had to re install were Kaspersky security 2012, and Avanquest Fix-it 2012.

Windows 7 Home Premium is the best investment I have ever made in a software. It is reported that the breakdown for favorite version of Windows, top to bottom, was 53% for Windows 7, Windows 8: 25%, XP: 20%. In an expert analysis some argued that, "if you are still using XP and want to upgrade to Windows 7, and not be distracted by Windows 8."