Microsoft Windows Live OneCare 1.5 Online PC Care Subscription - 12 Months [Old Version]
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- All-in-one, always-on PC care service from Microsoft
- Protection from viruses, spyware, hackers, phishing, and more
- 2-way firewall; regularly backs up all important files
- Defragments hard disk; removes unnecessary files
- Works continuously, automatically, and quietly in the background
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question may be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who purchased this item, who are all part of the Amazon community.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
From the Manufacturer
Introducing Windows Live OneCare, the all-in-one, always-on PC care service from Microsoft. It works quietly in the background on your computer, so you don't have to worry about nasty interruptions from viruses, spyware, hackers, and other unwanted intruders. It also goes beyond security, regularly backing up all your important files and cleaning up and tuning up your computer to help keep it running at top speed. Because you have better things to do with your PC.
All-in-one protection and maintenance
Windows Live OneCare helps protect your computer, and its automated optimization features keep your PC running at its speediest. OneCare even regularly backs up your important files. You get all this in one convenient package:
- Protection Plus, with its antivirus and antispyware scanners, managed two-way firewall, and integrated anti-phishing technology, helps protect your computer from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, hackers, phishing, and other threats. It runs continuously in the background, but you can scan individual files and folders for viruses on demand simply by right-clicking them. You can even scan attachments you receive via Windows Live Messenger or MSN Messenger.
- Performance Plus regularly defragments your hard disk, removes any unnecessary files that can clog your computer, and helps make sure important security updates from Microsoft are installed efficiently and on time.
- Backup and Restore regularly copies your important files and settings to CD, DVD, external hard disk, network drive, or other data-storage device.
- Instant Support provides online help anytime you need it, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Windows Live OneCare constantly thinks about your computer's safety and maintenance--so you don't have to. OneCare communicates the status of your PC's health in the notification area of your Windows taskbar:
A green icon means your status is Good. Protection Plus features like antivirus, antispyware, and anti-phishing are up to date, and your computer is not due for a tune-up or backup. Windows Live OneCare is running in the background, monitoring your system to prevent threats from viruses and spyware.
A yellow icon means your status is Fair. Usually this means you have an action to take, such as scheduling or running a tune-up or backup or downloading a noncritical update. A yellow icon means there is no immediate threat to your system, but you should take care of the action as soon as you can to return your system to green.
A red icon means your computer is At Risk. This can happen if, for example, Windows Live OneCare is unable to update Antivirus with the latest virus definitions because of a lost Internet connection, or if the Windows Live OneCare Firewall is turned off.
Always on and automated
Windows Live OneCare works continuously, automatically, and quietly in the background on your PC, ever vigilant against threats but never in the way, allowing you to have fun and be more productive. OneCare updates itself automatically to counteract new viruses and other threats and works with Microsoft Update to help ensure that your computer is up to date with the latest critical security updates from Microsoft.
Evolves to meet your needs
Windows Live OneCare provides continuous feature updates to subscribers, giving you the latest technologies to help protect you from emerging threats. No more worrying about different versions of your antivirus software. With Windows Live OneCare, you get automatic updates and service enhancements the moment they're released.
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer : No
- Language: : English
- Package Dimensions : 7.5 x 5.4 x 1.5 inches; 9.6 Ounces
- Item model number : C7S-00024
- Date First Available : July 7, 2004
- Manufacturer : Microsoft Software
- ASIN : B000KN7DDE
- Best Sellers Rank: #19,732 in Software (See Top 100 in Software)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
As a nit-pick - I don't like Microsoft's new software packaging. It is a hard plastic box that presents an interesting challenge to open the first time it is encountered. Much too big for a single disk - hard to store. Hopefully recyclable material :)
Now for why only four stars... As I said I had the trial version installed from downloading via Microsoft. Rather than updating online directly I opted to buy the retail package from Amazon. First off, the fancy retail plastic package is extremely difficult to open - it has a couple small (hard to find small) red tabs that you are to pull to undo the outer wrap - the red tabs break... I could not get the plastic box open - and in the end I forceably smashed it to get to the contents!
Ok, after smashing it to get it open I tried to install it. It would hang the browser and die mid install - did not like the existing trial installation... Tried to uninstall the trial install - that would also fail... Then the OS (WinXP) would hang as well. After an hour of rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting, etc. I found a utility on the Microsoft web site that would wipe all of OneCare from the system - I finally got that to run to completion and the OS then behaved ok. And I was at long last able to successfully install the retail installation.
The program is great - the retail packaging and trial update are really bad...