Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Style: Wired Controller|Change

Showing 1-10 of 5,684 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,955 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 24, 2016
There is no substitute for the original. I tried off brands and it was just a waste of money and time.
The controller offers a very nice firmness on the thumb sticks that no other can compare to not to mention the modular design that fits perfectly into your hands.
The thumb sticks also have indentions to prevent slipping when fast movement is required.
The controller is also compatible with any Windows system so you can enjoy your PC gaming the same as with your console.
They have also implemented the quick detach extension just in case it gets snagged or someone walks and trips over the cord.
Easy identifiable buttons and firm pressure springs makes this controller a pleasure to play with.
Overall the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows delivers a consistent and universal gaming experience across both of Microsoft's gaming systems.

If you haven't tried Amazon Prime, your really missing out on so much. From extremely fast shipping, no hassle free returns to amazing selection of music and an unbeatable video streaming selection. Give it a try today!

If you found my review to be of help, please click the "helpful" button below. It helps my Disabled Veterans Group with needed supplies.

review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2012
I bought this controller because I needed something that was truely plug and play. It works flawlessly on my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit laptop. I chose the "For Windows" version of the XBOX 360 controller simply because I didn't want to take a chance with other controllers not being recognized or working incorrectly. I don't have an XBOX 360 and wanted this specifically for my Windows computer. It is a perfect match! This controller is recognized immediately by Windows which installs the drivers automatically. If you want you can also go to the Microsoft website and download the latest software/drivers too.

The controller itself works as described with no problems whatsoever. I am using this controller along with another XBOX 360 controller to play multiplayer games on a Nintendo 64 emulator (Project 64) on my PC. Assigning the buttons is easy, but the rumble does not work without installing a plugin (not the controllers fault, just letting you know). I don't mind not having rumble at the moment as it does not affect game play and will install the necessary rumble plugin some day. This controller also works with many other PC games.

I highly recommend a Microsoft controller over a third-party controller! The quality is worth the money. I also recommend going with this USB wired controller over a wireless version so you don't have to bother with batteries or charging. Its simply plug and play and I can't really ask for more than that. Great controller for Windows computers, buy this one!
88 comments| 356 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2015
This is a legit Microsoft controller. I don't have XBOX but I purchased for use on Steam, Windows 7 Pro 64bit (via Bootcamp on Mac mini). The moment I plug it in USB port, Steam automatically launches and everything just works out of the box. It feels native and very responsive I play Transformers Devastation. No software is needed to be installed. I can also launch Steam by pressing the XBOX silver button in the center. The product comes with legit Microsoft packaging (see my images).
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on January 7, 2015
Some people seem to be able to get the real controller by Microsoft when they order this, others receive a cheap knock off. I was one of the others. The wireless adapter should have a sync button and the controller itself should also have a sync button. Neither of these are available on the cheap knock off and you cannot use it with an Xbox 360 since there is no sync button. The packaging also advertises it is Android compatible. If you had any doubts this was an imitation, that alone should be enough to confirm it is. If you notice that the controller comes in some rather cheap clamshell packaging, feels a bit lighter in your hand and has no sync button, return it right away. Nearly $50 is not a good value for the cheap knock off version when you are being sold the official Microsoft version.

If you want to avoid the possibility of having to return this, just order a regular wireless xbox controller and get a wireless adapter separate for your PC needs.
review image
66 comments| 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2015
Received knock-off, brand-less controller labeled TY-G403A that was much cheaper and obviously not official.
review image
88 comments| 273 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2013
I've went through a number of gamepads over the years, dating back to when they connected to the PC via an analogue gameport. I've had pads from the likes of Thrustmaster, Saitek and a few others, most recently using a PS2 controller via a USB Adapter, which was far from ideal.

Over time, the layout of the Xbox 360 controller has become something of a standard for PC games that use a joypad. Many games already include mappings for the controller, and Steam's big picture mode more or less assumes that you're using one. I was looking for a new controller, so with all this in mind I decided to go for the wireless version of the gamepad for windows.

The last time I used an Xbox controller was on the original Xbox with one of the original humongous controllers. I don't have the smallest hands in the world, but that thing made them ache after an hour or so. Not so here; the controller is a nice size, the analogue sticks are positioned well in range of my thumbs, and the overall balance of the gamepad feels good. It also doesn't resort to any of that nasty grippy rubber paint that was all the rage not that long ago. That stuff doesn't last in a tropical climate, tuning into a sticky, messy goop that then has to be removed.

As others have mentioned, the Windows version of the pad uses AA batteries. Myself, I see this as a bonus. Instead of relying on a LiPo pack that may or may not survive more than a year's worth of use (I've heard really bad things about the kit that adds a Lithium battery to the controller) NiMh rechargeable AA's tend to be quite robust, and they're dirt cheap. If they were ever to die, replacements these days are about $1.50 apiece. Ever since low self-discharge cells became the norm, having them go flat by themselves is no longer an issue. Thank you Sanyo for your Eneloops and Amazon for your Amazon Basics AA's; I have a pile of both types at home.

The integration of the gamepad into Steam's big picture interface is impressive. Having it mapped to the Xbox 360 controller layout was a smart move on Valve's part as they were able to concentrate on the on-screen prompts being consistent, etc. It makes me wonder how SteamOS will be once it launches.

Software-wise, the gamepad ships with next to nothing. A driver CD is supplied, which installs drivers and little else. This is the source of the controller's greatest failing; unless you're playing a Games for Windows Live game (hereby referred to as GfWL), there is no way supplied to turn the controller off once you're done. It supposedly turns itself off after a short period of inactivity, but I've heard that can be unreliable (I'm testing this at the moment, and it's yet to turn itself off since I started writing this review). Many resort to disconnecting the batteries once they're done to turn the controller off, which is a workable (if clunky) solution.

If this were what we were stuck with, I'd have docked a star, perhaps 2 for this alone. It doesn't detract from the gamepad while in use, but it's an annoyance that seems doubly odd given a mechanism exists to explicitly turn the gamepad off from software, but that software isn't provided with the gamepad to cover all eventualities. Only the abomination that is GfWL gets that level of control.

Thankfully, the community at large had a bit of a poke about, and the "Xbox360 Controller Manager" was born. This is a little tool that sits quietly in your system tray and responds to a long press of the guide button (the silver button in the middle) with a prompt to turn that controller off. The tool itself takes single-digits of MB of memory, which is background noise in this day and age.

For those of you that haven't already discovered this essential little piece of software, you can get it here:

Save it wherever, add a shortcut in your "Startup" start menu folder, and then forget about it. Using it will become second nature, and you'll forget that it's a 3rd-party application. Honestly, this utility removes the one problem I had with the gamepad, and does it so effectively that I can't help but wonder why Microsoft didn't ship it with something similar.

Overall, I highly recommend this. The biggest niggle I had with it was solved by its users, and if you're looking for a wireless controller for Windows, there really isn't any reason not to get one.

P.S. I'm done with this review, and the controller still hasn't turned itself off. Thankfully, there's an app for that...
44 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2016
I was hesitant to purchase this with some of the reviews about knock-offs, but when I ordered this controller a few days ago it was listed as a Microsoft product being *sold* by Amazon (not just fulfilled by Amazon) and it was about seven bucks more expensive than what is currently listed on this page. The controller that arrived seems legit and it works (after downloading mac drivers). So if the version of this page shows the controller as being *sold* directly by Amazon rather than a third party, I think odds of not getting a knock off are better.
on February 7, 2016
The controller came in a plastic bag marked as "Used, Very Good" but contained a pretty worn down controller (didn't check if it worked, I knew immediately I'd be returning it regardless) with scratches, crusty crap in the button lettering, worn down nubs on the joysticks, and smoothed glossy plastic from heavy use. It was also missing the dongle for PC, which was the only reason I bought it.

This was by far the worst experience I've ever had buying anything on Amazon; the relatively painless return was the only good thing about this purchase.
on September 7, 2016
I bought this specifically so I could use my Xim 4, so I do not actually use this for Xbox 360 gameplay... However, I played exclusively on console for the vast majority of my adolescence, and I can say with experience and confidence that the Xbox 360 controller is one of the most iconic, comfortable, and intuitive gamepads ever created. In fact, I still prefer it over mouse and keyboard for a few things, even though I am an avid PC gamer now; for instance, the Trials series' track editors - utterly horrendous on mouse and keyboard, but excellent with a 360 controller.

P.S.
The Xim 4 physically cannot operate without an official Microsoft Xbox 360 wired controller, but I actually prefer wired controllers anyway... No batteries! (Fellow Ximmers, this is exactly what you need.)

Also, if you're like me and plan on using this on PC in some way, you may need to download the correct drivers for your specific OS (should automatically install in Windows 8 and 10 upon plugging the controller in - you may not even notice it happen).
on November 7, 2015
I picked this up so I could play some different PC games without a keyboard and mouse and have been super happy with it.

The control feels great in my hand and the setup process was next to nothing. I just plugged the included USB dongle into a USB port on my PC and waited for the drivers to install and I was up and running in less than a minute.

The logo in the middle of the controller has a ring around it to let you know which player you are and will even tell you when the batteries are getting low by doing a light chase around the logo.

What I found out a while later is that you can go to your local store and pick up additional controllers and connect them to the existing dongle! This makes it SO much easier for your friends to bring a controller if they have one and not have to bring more USB plugs for your PC. It's just a simple sync process between their controller and your dongle and you're playing in no time!